New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
warthog101

by warthog101

JayDee81 wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:23 am
More expensive than a car tyre.
I simply aint paying that.
Comparable car tyres are way more expensive and you need 4 of them, which puts the price even higher.
The Michelin tyres I buy for my run around are about $100-
Yeah economies of scale etc.
They have 30k km on em and are about half worn.
Manufactured with a heap more material in em though .
You may argue they aint comparable. I don't own a Porsche however and my cheapo second hand TCR they go on isn't a Porsche. A set of tyres isn't turning it into one.

I bought some GP5k TL for $80 Australian dollars last year. I thought that was expensive

These bloody things are going for north of $130- now.
There is a ridiculous amount of profit in them and they last 4-5k km.
Not happening for me at that price.
I am sure they are a good tyre, just not that good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Much more competition and volume in the car tyre market.....so prices are naturally lower.

We are getting price gouged on high quality cycle tyres. I can understand high prices of tubs, as they are a niche product now. But clinchers and TLs should be cheaper....
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Lina

by Lina

Everyone that's complaining about the price and durability of high end road bike tires please remember that these are all essentially race tires. There are plenty of cheaper and more durable tires out there.

And no, you won't find any comparable car tires for cheaper. You might be able to get some bottom of the barrel car tires in small sizes that are cheaper than the very best there is in bike tires. But those tires aren't comparable in any way. If you want a comparable bike tire for those car tires it's that wired $10 a pop tire. And those will also last you tens of thousands of km.

JWTS

by JWTS

There was a time, long ago when people first started testing tires on rollers with power meters, that Michelin made some of the fastest tires out here (Pro Light, anyone??). Those days are obviously long gone...

Glad to see them making a competitive tire again--but as another poster mentioned, "let's see the tubeless results". Do people actually run tubes these days?

The tubular actually looks interesting. I still have a TT front wheel that I'm running tubular, and a fast, narrow 23mm tire would be a great option.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Anyone found the TL model in stock anywhere yet?

I can find the clincher but not the one I want (tubeless).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Confirmed from Michelin hookless compatible

Leon

by Leon

ryanw wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:20 pm
Anyone found the TL model in stock anywhere yet?

I can find the clincher but not the one I want (tubeless).
Where did you see the clincher on sale? I can't find them.... Thanks.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Lakal

by Lakal

Just installed the 25mm clincher version. They measure a little more than 27mm on my 21mm inner width rim.

Edit: Forgot to mention the weight: 216g, both tyres.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I'm very dubious of RR tests done on rollers: it doesn't accurately reflect real world conditions. However, those graphs do nicely bear out lots of rider hearsay/anecdata: Schwalbes aren't great in the wet, Vittoria are a bit fragile, the GP5000 a very good all-rounder.

I was very happy with my Pirelli P Zero TLR - an enforced change from GP5000s after switching to Zipps. But as the TCR is in the shop, I took out my Ridley last night (Campag mechanical, rim, Rovals, GP5000TL) and, while there are lots of variables at play here, it did strike me as faster rolling...

May use this season as a 'find the right tyre' season!

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm not looking for new tires any time real soon but I'm interested to see how these test for Aerocoach and BRR. I've been a Continental fan, but some competition is probably a good thing.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

warthog101

by warthog101

With the utterly ridiculous price of theTR Conti some competition is definitely welcome.

alanyu

by alanyu

Cycleserforme has reviewed michelin power cup, both clincher and tubeless type. The TLR is super fast in their protocol. TLR is 0.5 W faster than clincher + latex, and it's 1 W faster than GP5000 TL/GP5000 S TR.

However, the TLR is also super wide. 25C measured 27.35 mm on a 17.7 mm internal width rim, and it's likely to be 28 mm after some mileage. This will break 105% rule on 99% wheels, e.g., it will be 29-30 mm on a 21 mm internal width width rim, whose brake track width is usually 28. The bubble shape has bad aerodynamic, and more importantly, bad cross wind stability. The only combo which doesn't brake 105% rule is Roval Rapide front wheel. It's disapppinting that a 2022 tyre is adapting 2016 ETRTO.

http://www.cyclesetforme.fr/test-roulem ... cup-25-mm/

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I wouldn't fear the width being that big of an issue and I don't really think it will really balloon out to 30mm.
The Michelin Power TT in 25mm was tested by BRR and came out to 27.2mm on their 17mm internal rim (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... trial-2020).
Aero-Coach has aero tested this exact 25mm tire on a 19mm internal rim, that is designed for 25mm tires. It came out 2 watts slower than the most aerodynamic tire (Pro One TT) ane .9 Watts faster than the Corsa Speed. So despite it being a potentially wider, also completely slick tire, it came out midpack here. (https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/aerodynami ... cing-tyres).
Don't know how that will translate to the new tires, but I would'nt be worried too much.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

As what I said, the more importance is the cross wind stability. Aerocoach races in velodrome. They don't test and don't need to worry about cross wind :noidea:

Corsa speed 2.0 is also 27 mm by BRR btw, so the width is close to michelin TT :beerchug: