New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alanyu

by alanyu

card0s wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:03 am
jj911c2 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:48 am
card0s wrote:Thank you for all the valuable input!
@pmprego the tire was an open tubular style with a natural cotton casing. The rim hook "cut into" the tire hook causing it to "explode", luckily I managed not to fall to the ground. I contacted the manufacturer and to be fair to them, they advise on installing their sidewall tape along with their tires to prevent these situations from happening, I just failed to see that warning. And also, they are testing some prototypes with different reinforcement materials on the hook part to prevent this issue.

@alanyu, I actually thought the U shape was more stable than the V shape on crosswinds but I was completely wrong apparently.
Wheelsets are a considerable investment but I'll most probably replace the wheelset in the future and be careful for now.
What tires and wheels were you riding when the tire exploded?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FMB Flanders front (26mm) and FMB Cobbles rear (29mm)
Farsports 24mm ID/30mm ED rims

But, as said above, it was partly my fault.
The tire was an open tubular style with a natural cotton casing. The rim hook "cut into" the tire hook causing it to "explode", luckily I managed not to fall to the ground.
I contacted the manufacturer and to be fair to them, they advise to install their sidewall tape along with their tires to prevent these situations from happening, I just failed to see that warning.
Were your Flander and Cobble set as tubeless or tubed? I'm going to buy a pair of flander, but two of three reviews of Cobble on bike24 says leaking air and sealent, impossible to be used as tubeless. What's your experience?

card0s

by card0s

alanyu wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 pm
Were your Flander and Cobble set as tubeless or tubed? I'm going to buy a pair of flander, but two of three reviews of Cobble on bike24 says leaking air and sealent, impossible to be used as tubeless. What's your experience?
Both tubeless.
It was my first tubeless experience, it was a pain to inflate them using only a Schwalbe Tire Booster and a floor pump.
But once that was done and I added sealant - Stan's, a bit more than 60ml each, and that was it.
I didn't have leaks and regarding pressure loss, it was the normal overnight pressure loss.
Maybe it was due to the tire/rim combination?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seamaster76

by seamaster76

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:01 pm
For 26mm wide rim.
Either 23mm GP5000 or 25mm one would be my choice.
GP5000 25 tried and was a nightmare to set up on my rims. Would definitively switch to something easier :thumbup:

alanyu

by alanyu

card0s wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:47 am
alanyu wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 pm
Both tubeless.
It was my first tubeless experience, it was a pain to inflate them using only a Schwalbe Tire Booster and a floor pump.
But once that was done and I added sealant - Stan's, a bit more than 60ml each, and that was it.
I didn't have leaks and regarding pressure loss, it was the normal overnight pressure loss.
Maybe it was due to the tire/rim combination?
Both said sidewalls. Good you mentioned inflation is painful with a tire booster. I would rather choose other tyres now.

dexvd

by dexvd

So has anyone actually run into issues with the narrow tread of the Power Cup yet? Like tire failure? Have been using Turbo Cottons for the past 2 years but interested in the Power Cup over the clincher GP 5000 for ease of installation in case of roadside flats.

Would the narrow tread issue be less of an issue on the 28c than the 25c or would both face the same maximum lean angles?

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

Few hundred miles so far with the 28s. Absolutely no issues so far. Installation was very easy. I personally think the concerns about tread width are exagerrated, and mostly by people who haven't even touched the tires.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I corner on the sidewall plenty of times on this tire. Even picture the tire on the previous page.
Yes, I roll corner on the side wall, outside of the tread, which in theory isn't good. But no real damage yet. It still hold up fine.

I speculate that Conti tires have wider tread, but you can't ride on the side wall at all. It'll get cut easily.
Michelin sidewall seems to handle touching the road better so far. Narrower tread, but it doesn't die instantly if sidewall touch the road.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

I am seriously considering this tire for its reported qualities and price, but I am wondering whether to go for 23 or 25, because it's been reported the tire is oversize. My rims are 17 ID and 24 OD for reference and I am currently riding 25 Vittoria Corsa.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I doubt anybody in here has purchased (and measured) the 23mm clincher.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

JayDee81 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:10 pm
I am seriously considering this tire for its reported qualities and price, but I am wondering whether to go for 23 or 25, because it's been reported the tire is oversize. My rims are 17 ID and 24 OD for reference and I am currently riding 25 Vittoria Corsa.
Depends if you're buying the tire for speed or comfort. With the 23mm tires you'll be closer to the 105% aero rule (but likely still over it). The 25mm Power Cup will be more comfortable, as you'll have a tire similar to most other 28mm tires out there.

Also by adhering to the 105% rule you'll get less detachment at different yaw angles so your wheels will likely perform better in cross winds / gusts.

https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-5-tir ... rodynamics

Lakal

by Lakal

JayDee81 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:10 pm
I have the 23mm on my front wheel.
The tyre measures 25,5mm on my 21mm inner width rim.

dexvd

by dexvd

Lakal wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:55 am

I have the 23mm on my front wheel.
The tyre measures 25,5mm on my 21mm inner width rim.
You have a 25mm on your rear wheel? What does that measure?

Nautiboy

by Nautiboy

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 pm
Confirmed from Michelin hookless compatible
Hi, I was looking for this info. Is the Michelin Powercup 28C clincher hookless compatible? 25C too? Can I know your source?? I was searching high and low for this info, even Michelin website is not listed.

Thank you

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Nautiboy wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:38 am
Hi, I was looking for this info. Is the Michelin Powercup 28C clincher hookless compatible? 25C too? Can I know your source?? I was searching high and low for this info, even Michelin website is not listed.

Thank you
Clinchers are not tubeless tyres (TLR or "Tubeless ready"), thus, they cannot be hookless compatible. Do not mount them on hookless rims.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Nautiboy

by Nautiboy

Just to add-on the feedback.

I tried almost all flagship clincher tires with either Tubolito or Vittoria Latex. Not a fan of Tubeless as the mess and blownout puncture is a nightmare(been there done that). Tubular ~ They are history and any new high-performance wheelset is either Tube, tubeless or 2-way fit.

~ Vittoria Corsa Competition - Fast, supple, loose fit(easy installation), but too thin for my liking. 1 jam brake and you can see the carcass bare. Puncture resistance low.
~ GP5K - Good all rounded, good puncture resistance but it just dun feel fast. (Strava and Garmin are my data points ontop of bike feel)
~ Schwalbe Pro TT - Heavy, looks ugly, and feel draggy. High Puncture resistance though...the rubber is thick.

Michelin .... : ) It has been my favourite since the previous TT version. I always paired it with Vittoria Latex, run it at 80psi (I'm almost 90kg), feels like sitting on sofa and extremely fast rolling. Never had a puncture for last 2 years, about 15,000kms mileage.

When the Power Cup is launched - bought it immediately. Feels as good as the TT but only 500kms done, so can't comment on durability.
Installed 28C tire on an Inner rim width of 21mm. Pumped 80psi, effective size is 32mm. Rim external is 30mm. it tends to run a few sizes up. Will be swapping them out for 25C when my stock arrives....

Ride Safe, ALL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com