New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:11 pm

Are those the 23mm internal width bontragers? If so what does a 25mm tire measure?
21mm internal, the 25mm Power Cups measure 29.3mm.

I pulled them off. That raised lip at the edge of the tread cap was starting to come off in chunks on the rear tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Yikes on the self destructing tire, and they seem excessively wide? 25mm tires measuring 29.3mm on a non super wide rim

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:05 am
Yikes on the self destructing tire, and they seem excessively wide? 25mm tires measuring 29.3mm on a non super wide rim

The exposed threads where the lip was ripped away was the final straw.

I raced on Corsa Speeds today 26.5mm WAM on 19mm internal rims.
Attachments
4387A8EF-9058-4E33-AE2F-6CAADA717D6E.jpeg

Andrew69

by Andrew69

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 am
Okay, Suisun Harbor Crit, I definitely had a couple corners where the rear tire shuddered just a tiny bit... you know that feeling when you're right on the edge of a bigger slide.
How have you not crashed on these tires yet?
Would love to see an action photo of you wearing the tires like that!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:25 am

How have you not crashed on these tires yet?
Would love to see an action photo of you wearing the tires like that!

Well, I removed the tires. I did 2900mi/4650km on them since June 18. The tread wasn't even close to done.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Could the exposed casing just be from repeated deformation if the rubber layer is super thin there? I started noticing a similar pattern on one of our bikes that doesn't see much lean angle.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:26 pm
Could the exposed casing just be from repeated deformation if the rubber layer is super thin there? I started noticing a similar pattern on one of our bikes that doesn't see much lean angle.

The damage is asymmetric, it’s more apparent on the right side…we mostly turn right in races and group rides. The sidewalls are also clearly scuffed.

StevieB

by StevieB

Just adding a datapoint; mounted a set of 28's on my LB WR50's (hooked 25mm internal width), and at 68PSi they measured 31.2mm wide, which is .5mm less than the Conti GP5KTL's that came off. So in line with at least the Conti TL's, though I gather the S-TR's run a bit smaller. Only done one ride so far, so too soon to tell about sidewall wear in my use case. The tread certainly "looks" very narrow; they could definitely use a bit wider tread layer. Do like the ride though; they feel smoother and more supple than the GP5KTL's. Time will tell!

dexvd

by dexvd

Had my first ride on the 25s mounted up on my 15c internal wheels which keeps them true to size at ~25.23 so far (will check again after a few more rides to see if they balloon out bigger than the 26c Cottons). Found they did feel a bit less supple than the Cottons, didn't notice any speed difference (slower or faster), was a little more cautious with cornering as it was my first ride with them but didn't notice a difference there other than the profile of the tire felt different in terms of the lean in. With the transition on my worn in Cottons feeling smoother than the lean in of the brand new Power Cups. Not 100% sure how to describe that guessing the side profile is a more acute angle on the power cups. On this ride a lot of the sharp corners had gravel on them as well, so as a group we weren't really bombing a lot of them. I haven't noticed any unusual wear on the sidewalls yet but I have under 100k on them as compared to buddy who did almost 5000kms (with my TR rides, mtb and gravel biking I could probably make a tire that can do 5000kms last a year of riding as my yearly total is still under 10k).

SilverSteve

by SilverSteve

Just mounted a pair of 28 tubeless and they measure 30mm on LightBicycle AR46 (21mm Internal- 28 External) at 75 psi.
Curious to see if they expand any overnight.

Weights

Width

FrankieIsMyDog

by FrankieIsMyDog

Hi Silver Steve,
Did you happen to measure the mounted diameter of your tires? My bottom bracket drop is significant and would really like to try these tires. As a matter of fact, it would be nice if someone has noted the tire diameter of these as well as the 30mm Continental GP 5000S TR. (since both of these will measure about 30mm wide)If the 28 Michelin tires are not taller than most other 28's, they will probably be a no go.

dexvd

by dexvd

Maybe I need to make a seperate thread to figure this out but currently have a rim brake Cervelo R2 with Mavic Cosmic Elites with my 25c Power Cups measuring just a bit over 25c with their 15c internal. The R2 apparently has a max capacity of 28mm for tires. Is there a mid depth carbon rim brake wheel that has a 17c internal and a ~27mm external to achieve 105% with these Power Cups likely being around 26mm with a 17c internal?

From what I have read in this thread these tires seem to love a narrow interal width like my Mavics have but I would love to upgrade to a set of wheels that would save 300g or so and achieve the 105% with Power Cups.

FrankieIsMyDog

by FrankieIsMyDog

Light Bicycle have R45 and R55 models that should meet your dimensional criteria for reasonable $

Probably not as swoopy of an aero design as the latest tech...take a gander.

SilverSteve

by SilverSteve

FrankieIsMyDog wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:41 am
Hi Silver Steve,
Did you happen to measure the mounted diameter of your tires? My bottom bracket drop is significant and would really like to try these tires. As a matter of fact, it would be nice if someone has noted the tire diameter of these as well as the 30mm Continental GP 5000S TR. (since both of these will measure about 30mm wide)If the 28 Michelin tires are not taller than most other 28's, they will probably be a no go.
Hi FrankieIsMyDog.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to even accurately measure the diameter. Also, the rim dimensions might vary the diameter slightly from model to model?
Just eyeballing it. The tire height on my 28s is about 26mm tall from the top edge of the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FrankieIsMyDog

by FrankieIsMyDog

Thanks Steve, that is quite helpful...especially since the rims they will mount on happen to be the 36mm deep version of the rims that you have. Also, I would hope that rim manufacturers do a somewhat decent job of hitting the 622mm diameter dimension.