New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nautiboy

by Nautiboy

mrlobber wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:51 am
Nautiboy wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:38 am
Hi, I was looking for this info. Is the Michelin Powercup 28C clincher hookless compatible? 25C too? Can I know your source?? I was searching high and low for this info, even Michelin website is not listed.

Thank you
Clinchers are not tubeless tyres (TLR or "Tubeless ready"), thus, they cannot be hookless compatible. Do not mount them on hookless rims.
Thanks Mate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lakal

by Lakal

dexvd wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:33 pm
Lakal wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:55 am

I have the 23mm on my front wheel.
The tyre measures 25,5mm on my 21mm inner width rim.
You have a 25mm on your rear wheel? What does that measure?
My guess is 28-28,5mm after 1000km.
I think I wrote 27mm in the beginning of this thread when I just installed the tyre.

jromano89

by jromano89

For a 2020 Giant TCR Disc, with 19mm ID Hunt wheels, would you recommend trying these tires in 28mm or sticking to 25mm to be safe given how oversized they are?

birksted

by birksted

Was not able to find this in the thread, nor on google, so I will try here: I am lost to which rolling direction the tire has. No arrows, no obvious pattern to go by. Can anyone in here be of any service? Thank you in advance
Niklas

jlok

by jlok

Does rotation direction affect the safety and performance? How many watt is lost?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

birksted

by birksted

jlok wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:06 pm
Does rotation direction affect the safety and performance? How many watt is lost?
I assume it does, but I might be wrong, seeing as there is no directional pattern on the tire (unlike gp5000)

JayDee81

by JayDee81

birksted wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:51 pm
jlok wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:06 pm
I assume it does, but I might be wrong, seeing as there is no directional pattern on the tire (unlike gp5000)
If the logos are same on both sides then it doesn't matter. Otherwise logos go on the drivetrain side.

parajba

by parajba

Decisions decisions decisions.
I need to pick my next tyres for the CLX50, ID21.
Either brown GP5000S TR size 28 or the Power Cup TR size 25 with tan side walls.

I like the brighter side walls of the Power Cup, the Conti are quite dark. But I am worried about the comments about the narrow thread while cornering.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

parajba wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:23 pm
But I am worried about the comments about the narrow thread while cornering.
A brand that specializes in tires made these tires. Meanwhile some dorks online worry in their echo chamber. Bet 90% of them wouldn't have even noticed if others didnt point it out. Who do you trust more?

So far there doesn't seem to be anyone who actually had issues with the tread width. If you aren't riding with extreme lean then you are especially safe to stop worrying.

parajba

by parajba

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:45 am
parajba wrote:
A brand that specializes in tires made these tires. Meanwhile some dorks online worry in their echo chamber. Bet 90% of them wouldn't have even noticed if others didnt point it out. Who do you trust more?

So far there doesn't seem to be anyone who actually had issues with the tread width. If you aren't riding with extreme lean then you are especially safe to stop worrying.

Fair point. I just found this article from BRR

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... er-cup-tlr

Relevant paragraph

We would have loved to rate the new Power Cup TLR 5 out of 5, but we have to subtract 0.2 points as the casing seems way too big for a 25-622 tire, and (even more important) the tread is far too small. The tread-to-casing ratio (percentage of the casing covered by the tread) comes in at just 35.2% (GP 5000 S TR = 42.2%), the lowest tread cover of all road bike tires that we've had on the test bench.

The small tread makes this tire unsuitable for wider rims, and we recommend sticking to 15 mm and 17 mm rims as you run the risk of riding on the sidewall on wider rims at high lean angles. We're puzzled why Michelin went in this direction as they only had to copy the Power Time Trial tread and casing sizes, and it would have been fine.

If you're still on 15 or 17 mm rims, we definitely recommend the Power Cup TLR over the Grand Prix 5000 S TR.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

parajba wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:21 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:45 am
parajba wrote:

Fair point. I just found this article from BRR
Just fiy, that is what started that "concern" in this very thread and worrying seems to be contageous so it just started being echoed.

Also, sure some mainstsream tires have tread to case ratio in the 40-45% range, but:
Corsa Speed has a tread/casing ratio under 36%, same as Power Cup, and that tire is widely raced with seemingly zero worried of tread coverage by people.
Zipp Tangente Speed 36.5%
Fusion 5 37.5%
Some others in the 38% range

Wasn't a problem before and it isn't now. Maybe more people just notice it more on the Michelin because of the tan wann?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Narrow tread caps aren't only a concern when leaning through corners. Have you never ridden through a lengthwise crack/seam in a road? Have you never hit a pothole? Never raced your road bike through a gravel sector?

This concern was raised with the Fusion 5 Galactik and the Corsa Speed on these forums, I believe primarily by Hexsense.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I've done all of those things with various tires over the years and never noticed any practical difference/outcome that I could attribute to tread width.

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:Narrow tread caps aren't only a concern when leaning through corners. Have you never ridden through a lengthwise crack/seam in a road? Have you never hit a pothole? Never raced your road bike through a gravel sector?

This concern was raised with the Fusion 5 Galactik and the Corsa Speed on these forums, I believe primarily by Hexsense.
Only my data point:
I went through 4 pairs of different corsa speed, riding in the Alps (Swiss, French), the dolomites and mountains in Spain. I had no particular wear or damages outside the tread on none of the tires. I haven’t done gravel and my roads are overall way way better than what you shared around SF, but have our share of potholes cracks or roads being refurbished (thank you TDF)

Now I have only used them on 19 and 21mm inner rims, could be different installing it on 24mm inner rims.

I am waiting 2 pairs of Cups, 23 mm tires (measuring 25 installed) and 25mm TL.
Last edited by C36 on Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:08 pm
Narrow tread caps aren't only a concern when leaning through corners. Have you never ridden through a lengthwise crack/seam in a road? Have you never hit a pothole? Never raced your road bike through a gravel sector?

Oops, yeah. I concern with this issue.
I used 23mm tires on 21mm IW rim in 2016-2017 or so.
These days it's 25mm tires on 23mm IW and 28mm tires on 25mm IW.
So, my demand for tread cap width is more than someone with narrow rim and wide tire, say 32c tire on 15mm IW rim.

Still, my Michelin Power Cup still isn't dead yet.
Refer back to:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169200&start=285#p1756343 ,
which showed that I roll on side wall on this tire a lot, pretty much every other corner perhaps. Despite some wear on the sidewall near the tread cap where it roll on the road it still survive so far. The story may change later if I run into something sharp in the corner though. Since the side wall is thin and doesn't have puncture resistant layer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com