New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pmprego

by pmprego

Woland wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:19 pm
Really looking forward to reading reviews and hearing users' comments when the Power Cup tubeless comes available. If it's anything close to their claims for the clincher version AND more supple than the 5000S TR I'll be the first in line for getting these. That is if I can stomach the price, which I expect will be high.
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/05/ere-res ... S-FV4NH5N0

What about the claims these are doing!? Better in every aspect. Hard to believe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

Claimed weight for the 700×26 mm size is 220 g, and retail price is €89 (pricing for other regions is to be confirmed). Tires will supposedly be available in stores “from [northern hemisphere] summer 2022.”

They'd need to be good at that price.

C36

by C36

[edit: error]

Mocs123

by Mocs123

89 Euro's is about $94 USD so they are expensive, but not really more than the MSRP for the GP5000S-TR. I'm curious to see new tech, and though I've been really happy with all my interations of Continental GP tires, some compitition is a good thing. To me fast tires are a more noticable differnce than weight or aero improvements.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

jverdeyen

by jverdeyen

I've been riding the Michelin Power Cup 28mm (non tubeless version) for 2 weeks now, really like them. They measure 30mm on my Roval Rapids. Super comfy on Belgian roads at 4.5bar (+-65psi) (I'm 60kg). Close to S-Works Turbo (non cotton) at 28mm, this could be my new favorite. Been riding Pirelli P-Zero Race and Vittoria Corsa before. Can't say anything about puncture resistance, yet.

(I'm riding Vittoria Latex tubes)

maxima

by maxima

Just wonder how these compare to Vittoria Corsa with Latex? I've not find anything that rides better than cotton high TPI tyres with latex. All the Tubeless marketing BS or whataver, nothing ride close nor roll better in a real world environment.
jverdeyen wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 am
I've been riding the Michelin Power Cup 28mm (non tubeless version) for 2 weeks now, really like them. They measure 30mm on my Roval Rapids. Super comfy on Belgian roads at 4.5bar (+-65psi) (I'm 60kg). Close to S-Works Turbo (non cotton) at 28mm, this could be my new favorite. Been riding Pirelli P-Zero Race and Vittoria Corsa before. Can't say anything about puncture resistance, yet.

(I'm riding Vittoria Latex tubes)

jverdeyen

by jverdeyen

maxima wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:26 pm
Just wonder how these compare to Vittoria Corsa with Latex? I've not find anything that rides better than cotton high TPI tyres with latex. All the Tubeless marketing BS or whataver, nothing ride close nor roll better in a real world environment.
I've also been riding on sworks cottons (1000km and they are done and dusted) with latex, feels good, rolls smooth. Same feeling with Vittoria Corsa, but these are more puncture resistant than sworks cottons. I could be biased, but I prefer these power cup's above vittora corsa. Give them a try :)

Woland

by Woland

maxima wrote:
I've not find anything that rides better than cotton high TPI tyres with latex. All the Tubeless marketing BS or whataver, nothing ride close nor roll better in a real world environment.
I tend to agree. IME even the old 25mm Schwalbe One V-Guard + latex rides better than the previous generation 25mm Pro One's or the new 28mm 5000S TR, all tried at appropriately low tire pressures. Here's hoping Michelin has cracked the comfortable tubeless code with the Power Cup.

Woland

by Woland

re: Michelin pricing, silverfish-uk.com lists the Power Cup tubeless at £67.99. That's £9 less than the outgoing Power Road. Stock due on 10/06/2022.

maxima

by maxima

Try all the Current Line up pf Conti, Michelin. Schwable............nothing comes close to FMB, Vittoria High TPI cotton tyres with Latex, Even running same size tyres between 28mm tubeless Conti at 60/65 PSI vs FMB/Vittoria 28mm + latex at 75/80PSI, the FMB/Vittoria rides way way better -> why?

- Absorbed all the road vibrations better
- Get bounced around a bad tarmc road better
- After a 4 to 5 hrs ride, your butt tells you they are way apart even with 20 PSI differences
- your arm feels it? the feeling of a cushion ride vs harsh bouncing ride
- the only time tubelss make any senses is on a gravel fill or mix tarmac/gravel road where low pressure helps
- ZERO chance of tubeless hold pressure without leaking 10 to 20 PSI over night - using Shimano, PCW, ENVE, Campy, Zipp, LW, Bike Ahead Composite wheels with Conti, Schwable tubeless with 60 ml sealant per tyre!!!! The last 20 years I change my car tyres, I do not need selant to prevent leaking of air in my car tyres? So the morale of the story, Tubeless is a BS marketing with lack of industry wide standard for safety and alignment - let's not talk about proper testing!!! :evil: when DO YOU have fill in sealant in your car tyres after changing to a new set of Conti Sports Cup or Michelin PSS sports tyres? You probably sue Conti and Michelin for safety to drivers/owners!!!!
- Hookless is the new normal for tubeless? The data shows it roll bad vs hooked rim?
- Wider rims make sense? yes? probably for 25 to 28mm tyres with 20 to 23mm inner rim width --> this is no technology break-thru. just a simple change :cry:

The industry have not progress much except for marketing grimmicks to make you spend on things which ain't true? :roll:

jverdeyen wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 pm
maxima wrote:
I've also been riding on sworks cottons (1000km and they are done and dusted) with latex, feels good, rolls smooth. Same feeling with Vittoria Corsa, but these are more puncture resistant than sworks cottons. I could be biased, but I prefer these power cup's above vittora corsa. Give them a try :)
Last edited by maxima on Tue May 24, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

maxima wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:20 am
Try all the Current Line up pf Conti, Michelin. Schwable............nothing comes close to FMB, Vittoria High TPI cotton tyres with Latex, Even running same size tyres between 28mm tubeless Conti at 60/65 PSI vs FMB/Vittoria 28mm + latex at 75/80PSI, the FMB/Vittoria rides way way better -> why?

- Absorbed all the road vibrations better
- Get bounced around a bad tarmc road better
- After a 4 to 5 hrs ride, your butt tells you they are way apart even with 20 PSI differences
- your arm feels it? the feeling of a cushion ride vs harsh bouncing ride
- the only time tubelss make any senses is on a gravel fill or mix tarmac/gravel road where low pressure helps
- ZERO chance of tubeless hold pressure without leaking 10 to 20 PSI over night - using Shimano, PCW, ENVE, Campy, Zipp, LW, Bike Ahead Composite wheels with Conti, Schwable tubeless with 60 ml sealant per tyre!!!! The last 20 years I change my car tyres, I do not need selant to prevent leaking of air in my car tyres? So the morale of the story, Tubeless is a BS marketing with lack of industry wide standard for safety and alignment - let's not talk about proper testing!!! :evil: when DO YOU have fill in sealant in your car tyres after changing to a new set of Conti Sports Cup or Michelin PSS sports tyres? You probably sue Conti and Michelin for safety to drivers/owners!!!!
- Hookless is the new normal for tubeless? The data shows it roll bad vs hooked rim?
- Wider rims make sense? yes? probably for 25 to 28mm tyres with 20 to 23mm inner rim width --> this is no technology break-thru. just a simple change :cry:

The industry have no progress much except for marketing grimmicks to make you spend on things which ain't true? :roll:

jverdeyen wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 pm
maxima wrote:

I used to flat as a significantly higher rate with inner tubes, especially near the end of a tire's tread life. With tubeless my tires almost always last until the casing starts to become visible down the center of the tire. My tubeless tires definitely don't lose 20psi overnight. They lose less air than latex tubes, even the worst tubeless tires. The best for air retention are Goodyear Eagle F1, and they lose maybe 2psi in a week! In general the vulcanized tires lose less air than the "open tubular" style tires.

BRR also showed there's no major variance in Crr between hooked and hookless. Hookless is potentially more aero and might create a better tire patch when cornering. Hooked rims allow you to use higher PSI when it makes sense to.

maxima

by maxima

Have not use the Goodyear Eagle F1. I'm very keen on the new Michelin Tubeless as for Automotive Tyres, I would rate the Michelin PS3/PS4 and PSS, above Conti, Good Year or Pirelli. BTW, you remind me that my Pirelli lose less air overnight, 5 to 10 PSI, but the ride is harsher than the Conti GP 5000 S TR. The best ride is still the tubeless Corsa 2.0 and FMB high TPI cotton tyres, but again these tyres leaks sealants(side wall seems to be somehow porous) and get cut easily on the road I ride.

pmprego

by pmprego

maxima wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 am
Have not use the Goodyear Eagle F1. I'm very keen on the new Michelin Tubeless as for Automotive Tyres, I would rate the Michelin PS3/PS4 and PSS, above Conti, Good Year or Pirelli. BTW, you remind me that my Pirelli lose less air overnight, 5 to 10 PSI, but the ride is harsher than the Conti GP 5000 S TR. The best ride is still the tubeless Corsa 2.0 and FMB high TPI cotton tyres, but again these tyres leaks sealants(side wall seems to be somehow porous) and get cut easily on the road I ride.
sorry man but what you just did before was a rant. i avoided answer because of that.

I had a significant loss of air only when I assemble a tubeless tire without sealant. As soon as I put the sealant it becomes okay to pump it once a week. W.r.t. to feel I can tell you I've just done a race using clincher tires at 95psi and my goodness me that was incredible harsh. I missed my tubeless tires dearly.

warthog101

by warthog101

Gone tubeless here too.
The price of them is annoying me a bit, given they were much cheaper than now, but no way am I going back.
Way less punctures than tubed and the ride nicely. Much better ime.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ejma

by ejma

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:01 am

I used to flat as a significantly higher rate with inner tubes, especially near the end of a tire's tread life. With tubeless my tires almost always last until the casing starts to become visible down the center of the tire. My tubeless tires definitely don't lose 20psi overnight. They lose less air than latex tubes, even the worst tubeless tires.
Also my experience. I have used GP 5000 TL for a few seasons and they keep air good. The valves are leaking a little bit, but over a week and >300 km the preasure is going down ~10 psi. My current front tire is almost 2 years old and has done 15 000 km without puncture. Done 3 rear tires, about 6 500-7 000 km each, one got a puncture at the very end of its life cycle.
They have been hitting potholes and gravel on the road and survived. Compared with my previous clincher tires with tubes the GP 5000 TL are doing very good.