Ultralight bicycle parts by Lucendi

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I am an amateur CAD designer of ultralight bicycle accessories and user of a 3D printer.

The aim of this thread is to prove that ultralight parts don't have to be expensive or made out of carbon fiber. These parts cost about 0,02€ per gram to print.

This is a collection of the original designs I have created so far, some are well tested and others are WIP (works in progress). All are subject to revisions and improvement. This post will be updated as the designs change and evolve.

UL bar end plug

SUB1 bar end plug

HS dust cover
Also possible to use for those that want to slam their stems.
Fits standard forks with 1 1/8" or 28.6 mm diameter.

HS spacer

Rear bike light
To be used in an emergency or for hill climbs.

5 Chain catcher

Aero bike box

Voronoi bike stand

Cervélo S3 top cap

Keychain crankset

eeBrakes cover

Lupine Case

Urgestalt seatpost

Varia seatpost mount

If you are an active WW-user and would like one or several of the above designs, send me a PM and I'll print and mail you the design(s) worldwide.
Last edited by Lucendi on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:39 am, edited 9 times in total.

TiBikeNut

by TiBikeNut

The rear light is a great idea. In case the light to make it more robust & waterproof, I’d get it.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

TiBikeNut wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:33 pm
The rear light is a great idea. In case the light to make it more robust & waterproof, I’d get it.

Good luck.

The light works under water. IP∞? :p

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I like the attempt on the rear light but really? You are going to carry an emergency light? Hill Climb? I'm not so gulible. I'm really not a person that cares too much about what may happen behind me. I do like the Garmin radar but as fast as vehicles come up behind you, there is little you can do to save yourself. I doubt that tiny light will change anyone's course of action.

Of course, attempts like this are usually something that is built upon so I look forward to the worlds lightest rear light v2.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

For the rear light, I'd consider something similar to an integrated helmet light: PCB with a bunch SMD LEDs, enclosed in a two-piece plastic shell, fastened by a rubber band.

Great job anyway, my 3D printed dust cover is .2g heavier than yours 😭

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Butcher wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:47 pm
I like the attempt on the rear light but really? You are going to carry an emergency light? Hill Climb? I'm not so gulible. I'm really not a person that cares too much about what may happen behind me. I do like the Garmin radar but as fast as vehicles come up behind you, there is little you can do to save yourself. I doubt that tiny light will change anyone's course of action.

Of course, attempts like this are usually something that is built upon so I look forward to the worlds lightest rear light v2.
I think the rules have recently changed and require all bikes in hill climbs to have rear lights. In the gram weenie endevor of hill climbs, this light would let them meet the letter of the law at the lowest possible weight. It's certainly not for most of us, or for regular, everyday use. This is an event light.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

kode54

by kode54

Awesome collection @Lucendi !!

Thx for putting these so anyone can access. Much appreciated.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TiBikeNut

by TiBikeNut

Lucendi wrote:
TiBikeNut wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:33 pm

Good luck.

The light works under water. IP∞? :p
What about battery? What about if the light gets bumped or get damaged in even a small crash?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:10 pm
I think the rules have recently changed and require all bikes in hill climbs to have rear lights.
Wow, I didn't know that, thanks! In this context, the parts certainly look cooler – very price efficient and simple to make.

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

I am a fan of these! Keep it up. Particulary the headset and bar plugs. I would say for the headseat cover to be careful, correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand because it pushes bearing washer it takes the preload force, and this preload will flex very slighlty as the fork flexes.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Jimmypragmatic wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:14 pm
I am a fan of these! Keep it up. Particulary the headset and bar plugs. I would say for the headseat cover to be careful, correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand because it pushes bearing washer it takes the preload force, and this preload will flex very slighlty as the fork flexes.
The headset dust cover does take the compressive forces of the preload.

The plastic I use PLA has about the same tensile strenght as the nylon used in Extralite headset spacers.

The headset dust cover is 0,40 mm thick, variablity in height due to changing compression forces will be minimal compared to a headset spacer.

usr

by usr

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:10 pm
I think the rules have recently changed and require all bikes in hill climbs to have rear lights. In the gram weenie endevor of hill climbs, this light would let them meet the letter of the law at the lowest possible weight. It's certainly not for most of us, or for regular, everyday use. This is an event light.
Surely an "event light" would double as a number holder?

mgrl

by mgrl

In this context, numbers are pinned to the rider - no frame numbers

Hexsense

by Hexsense

1) would chain guard just inside inner ring be a poor application for 3d printed carbon fiber? Like, one chain drop and it broke? Or it'd be okay?
2) Cycliq Fly6 CE (or Fly 6 GEN3)camera and Garmin Varia radar are usually connected to the bike by plastic mount and rubber strap to the seatpost. In both case, but especially the Fly6, it is not aero at all. However, alternative option of using saddle rail-gopro clamp + gopro to cycliq mount or varia mount is really heavy. I wonder if there'd just be a more aero mount that doesn't weight like a stone...

Lucendi

by Lucendi

@Hexsense

1) I think a chain guard could be 3D-printed, but I can't say how it would handle a chain drop.

2) It would be a good use of a 3D-printer to make a custom aero mount tailored to a specific seatpost profile and angle. However, you'd need some sort of lanyard securing your device to the bike in case of failure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com