Ultralight bicycle parts by Lucendi

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I wouldn’t keep using PLA, as its not uv resistant. Nylon is the best filament for stuff like this

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:31 pm
I wouldn’t keep using PLA, as its not uv resistant. Nylon is the best filament for stuff like this
There is a wide variety of different filament materials to choose from, all with their own pros and cons.

It's a normative statement to claim one is better than the other, and you are free to use the one you prefer.

I want to keep this thread focused on the desings rather than the complex matter of the printing.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Was just trying to help, you mention you are using PLA, I said that it's not a good idea. The parts will literally fall apart when exposed to the sun.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:23 pm
Was just trying to help, you mention you are using PLA, I said that it's not a good idea. The parts will literally fall apart when exposed to the sun.
I have not experienced any rapid UV-degradation myself. I have 3D-printed parts in PLA that have been outside in direct sunlight for over 7 months that still look and function like new.

PLA will however deform/warp when exposed to temperatures as low as 55 C and above, so it is a poor material for use inside motorvehicles that are left in the sun in the summer time.

If you do leave your bike outside in direct sunlight for extended periods of time, fresh parts are only a few clicks away.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Klaster_1 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:00 pm
For the rear light, I'd consider something similar to an integrated helmet light: PCB with a bunch SMD LEDs, enclosed in a two-piece plastic shell, fastened by a rubber band.

Great job anyway, my 3D printed dust cover is .2g heavier than yours 😭
I revised the design of my headset dust cover and got the weight down from 1,4 to 0,8 grams now. The first post and the thingiverse file has been updated.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

How about this? https://cyclingtips.com/2022/01/the-rev ... ake-rotor/
or a copy of the orbea orca aero tool box but fitted to the frame tube profile for different bike frames?

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 pm
Garmin Varia radar are usually connected to the bike by plastic mount and rubber strap to the seatpost. In both case, but especially the Fly6, it is not aero at all. However, alternative option of using saddle rail-gopro clamp + gopro to cycliq mount or varia mount is really heavy. I wonder if there'd just be a more aero mount that doesn't weight like a stone...
This is a rough idea for an aero Garmin Varia seatpost mount;

A sleeve going all the way around the seatpost. A slot allows the mount to be clamped down and held secure. The aero portion comes from the mount extending from the seatpost all the way to the Varia, so two bodies becomes one.

Unfortunately I don't own a Garmin Varia so I can't prototype this.
Last edited by Lucendi on Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:10 pm
How about this? https://cyclingtips.com/2022/01/the-rev ... ake-rotor/
or a copy of the orbea orca aero tool box but fitted to the frame tube profile for different bike frames?
An aero fairing for a disc brake can easily be made, it is mostly a 2-dimensional part and could be drawn in Photoshop. If printed in ABS the fairing should suvive temperatures up to 80C. How hot do discs get on long decents?

The Orbea Orca Tool Box could easily be copied by 3D-scanning or some trial and error test printing to find the correct profiles, shapes and wall thicknesses. Fitting it to other frames would be more difficult as the the downtube is often a complex shape and different for all frames and even for different sizes of the same frame.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Eh, 80c is not nearly enough.
Galfer claims MTB downhill can make disc approach 500 farenheit.
On road bike, we won't reach that but still people experience brake fade despite mineral oil won't evaporate until 140 celcius.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:31 pm
Eh, 80c is not nearly enough.
Galfer claims MTB downhill can make disc approach 500 farenheit.
On road bike, we won't reach that but still people experience brake fade despite mineral oil won't evaporate until 140 celcius.
500 farenheit is about what carbon fiber composites should be able to withstand.

In that case maybe compression moulded carbon fiber is a better idea? With this method you can make your own carbon fiber parts at home without any need for a curing oven or vacuum bagging.

You can print the two mould halves in PETG and use a slow curing epoxy resin to avoid rapid heat build up from the curing process.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Prototyping an idea for a storage box;

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Definitely need a set of those lights for the UK hill climb season as the cretins brought in a light rule along with a helmet rule 🙈
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Lucendi

by Lucendi

CustomMetal wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:35 pm
Definitely need a set of those lights for the UK hill climb season as the cretins brought in a light rule along with a helmet rule 🙈
Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you some. :)

Lucendi

by Lucendi

First working prototype of the aero storage box.

Weight 45 grams.

Volume 0,4173 liters.

Maddie

by Maddie

👌

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com