Ultralight bicycle parts by Lucendi

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Here's another little doodle of mine.

A keychain with a crankset motif;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

That is soo cool

SystmSix

by SystmSix

I'll add some pictures of the storage box Testing...

Last edited by SystmSix on Thu May 26, 2022 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRUNKZZZ

by TRUNKZZZ

Following a lot of this stuff is very cool

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hey @Lucendi with many bikes having a truncated foil down tube, perhaps you can help us save some watts by making bottle cages that are flush with the down tube like how BMC does it? Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Great pics @SystmSix thank for sharing! I like the design changes to the shape you suggested and that's a clever and fail safe locking mechanism you've come up with.

I really like that idea @Kayrehn ! I could probaly make an aero cowling that sits between the down tube and a conventional bottle cage. Do you have a specific frame in mind?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I was thinking of a bottle cage actually, but I guess a cover over the sides of the cage can work too! I've around 3.5cm of flat space on the down tube of my C60 before it tapers off the sides. Trying to account for the taper will be tough I think, and the downtube also gets progressively wider as it goes down too. Perhaps someone with a bike with a totally flat downtube back will be interested in the idea - if only my old Trek Madone 7 is still around... Image

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Kayrehn wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:23 pm
I was thinking of a bottle cage actually, but I guess a cover over the sides of the cage can work too!
There are 3D-printed bottle cages, but they are heavy (75+ grams) and not very strong with risk or snapping in half. - Carbon fiber and injection moulded plastic are much better leaf springs and can hold a bottle tight.

I sketched up a H-profile and printed a little test piece of how an aero cowling might look. A 15cm tall cowling could weigh around 15 grams.

I think this can be done, but it'd be specific to a certain bottle cage and frame depending on the shape of the downtube.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I have no idea how you can create this taking into account the tube shape, but that prototype looks promising!

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:39 pm
I have no idea how you can create this taking into account the tube shape, but that prototype looks promising!
This is what I've come up with. A simple H-profile that connects the two bodies (downtube and bottle). Small cut outs for where the bottle cage would otherwise interfere. It is about 110mm tall and weighs 11 grams.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

I would consider running a sinlge ply of carbon over the sides of the bottle as well. A continuation of the cowling. If possible make the area that contacts the frame very flexible too. That might help it integrate into the top tube.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I decided to print some stuff in carbon fiber reinforced nylon (aka black aluminium), so I spent some time and cash to upgrade my printer and remove the manufacturer max temp restrictions by editing the firmware.

So far I've designed and printed this headset spacer at 3,7 grams for 20 mm (2,3 grams lighter than my carbon fiber ones).

And also this SRAM compatible chain catcher at 2,9 grams (4,9 grams lighter than the stock aluminium one).

Last edited by Lucendi on Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Lucendi wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:40 pm
Kayrehn wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:39 pm
This is what I've come up with. A simple H-profile that connects the two bodies (downtube and bottle). Small cut outs for where the bottle cage would otherwise interfere. It is about 110mm tall and weighs 11 grams.
Oh, nice one.
Count me interested.

corkycalvin

by corkycalvin

Lucendi wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:40 pm
I decided to print some stuff in carbon fiber reinforced nylon (aka black aluminium), so I spent some time and cash to upgrade my printer and remove the manufacturer max temp restrictions by editing the firmware.

So far I've designed and printed this headset spacer at 3,7 grams for 20 mm (2,3 grams lighter than my carbon fiber ones).

And also this SRAM compatible chain catcher at 2,9 grams (4,9 grams lighter than the stock aluminium one).

Are you no longer on IG? Would like to ask more about the modified sram chain catcher

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

How about aero headset spacers eg more pointed for the front, and kamm tail for the rear?
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg