New Cervelo Soloist Spotted...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:01 pm
twoangstroms wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:29 am
Saw one at the race today in the gold color. Looked really nice! It was a 61cm, though, so I literally couldn't even swing a leg over. It (and its rider) placed well!
I saw the white in the sunlight at a race yesterday. It was beautiful with the pearl in the paint.

I'd love a gold soloist but they're as rare as hens teeth.
mikes bikes has some

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joesch

by joesch

skinnybex wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:16 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:41 am
The Soloist looks like a nice option, but all the paint colors look heavy. It would be nice to have a matte carbon or other lightweight paint. I wonder if they were trying to keep the frame weight up to not cannibalize the R5?

Also I'm curious as to why the Reserve wheels come with Zipp hubs? I thought Zipp hubs were just rebranded Novatec/Bitex/Formula hubs and I would have thought Reserve could have just had them rebranded to their brand if they wanted.
Remember the frame is $2699 USD and my Soloist size 54 in Gloss Black weighed 960 grams which is respectable. I suspect that the R5 which comes in around 720 grams Matte Black but for $5500 USD with Stem and Bar with much rounder tube shape but the exact same Geo as the Soloist wouldn't look good for Cervelo concerning sales. The R5 is being outsold by all the other Cervelo models with the exception of the CX bike. I have a Caledonia 5 in that same Matte Black in 54 was a similar weight to my Soloist but 5k.

Regarding the Hubs which are the Low end Zipp hubs that come on the Zipp 303s wheels they have decent engagement and are a similar weight to the DT350 although I'd much prefer the 350's. I was told that it was a supply chain issue in the fall of 2021 when reserve could't get enough hubs and Zipp had excess 76/176 available.
I was seriously considering the Soloist as my race bike, given its good mix of features and what I thought was a pretty unpretentious frame (in a good way). Unfortunately, the EU price has gone through the roof and is now a prohibitive 3699EUR including VAT (vs. $2699 excluding VAT) - about 45% more expensive. :(((

slashy

by slashy

same here. I don't understand, the S5 frameset is 5500 euros and 5500 Dollars. If the soloist would be 2700 euros i'd buy one right now.

you can buy a propel SL frameset for 3800 or a Tarmac (non sworks). so the EU pricing for the soloist is just stupid.

rowdyyy

by rowdyyy

I was excited, too. Took me far to long to realise that EU prices are insane, the disappointment hit hard.

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

Anyone have a good Varia radar set up they'd recommend with the SP27 seat post?

harblhat

by harblhat

The post comes with a saddle yoke that has an integrated rearward facing GoPro style mount. It would work well with a Garmin-GoPro mount for a Varia but block most saddle bags.

I don't use this, but use a GoPro mount attached to my saddle instead which is further back and gives just enough space for a saddle bag in between.

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

Sorry I don't follow what that means. I don't see signs of a Garmin-Go Pro Mount on mine? Would be interesting in figuring this out, although my saddle bag is a bit chonky.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

It's part number MT-LM-R-003. I use one but without the extension arm.

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

Thanks; this is very cool. Doesn't work with my saddle bag but I think I'll try it out anyways!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

twoangstroms wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:29 am
Saw one at the race today in the gold color. Looked really nice! It was a 61cm, though, so I literally couldn't even swing a leg over. It (and its rider) placed well!

Heh, just realized you're talking about Matt...

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Has anyone managed to change the standard spacers to change the shake slightly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thepbx

by thepbx

Hi all, I wanted to post some weight data on the Soloist because I hadn't been able to find it online -- especially in a giant person size. I used scales that I've calibrated at UPS and FedEx stores so should be accurate:
Frame (61 cm; gold:) 1175g frame w hardware; 1137g without any hardware
Fork: 385 g uncut: (each 1 cm cut off = 2 g)
seatpost: 227 g with hardware
My bike in total comes out to 8.1 kg. Its heavier than I expected based on published weights. It certainly could be made lighter too (at the cost of less aero.)
Its a very pretty bike
Attachments
IMG_0107.jpeg

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Sweet! Biggie smalls, though the crank and the valves aren't aligned.

I don't have a reliable scale to measure my small-person-size one, but I have different stock components and I've already changed the stem.

berto46

by berto46

Soloist.jpeg
My Soloist finished build last week. 200kms so far!

jsigone

by jsigone

mechanical ultegra in 56, zipp 302 tubed wheelset, enve carbon saddle, 40cm di2 version of alum handlebars gave 80mm reach and better drop shape. Stages left arm PM and ultegra pedals. Geo is nearly same numbers as my Pinarello GanS, except this has lower head tube and smaller offset seatpost.

Bike worked flawlessly at last weekend Solvang Double century. This A$$savers rear stay fender allows for me to run large rapha/apidura saddle bag. Lots of rain in socal, helps keep the water/mud spray off my kit. https://www.strava.com/activities/8738526439 Next biggest comfort upgrade needed would be thicker bar tape, was feeling the effect after about 150miles into the ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com