New Cervelo Soloist Spotted...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

gzon wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:01 am
The Tarmac SL7 changed the landscape for all lmanufacturers. I think the so called "Soloist" will be Cervelos attempt to make a lightweight aero allrounder.
Well, over a decade ago the Soloist SLC-SL claimed to do the exact same thing by combining the light weight of the R3 with the aerodynamics of the standard Soloist.

abonjour

by abonjour

Doesn't the S in S5 come from a nod to the original Soloist? Surely this is just going to be a replacement for the S series which was always a different shape to the S5 anyway?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Yes.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

This may be way too logical but I think they would likely rename the updated/evolved S5 to be the Soloist 5 and have this new bike be just the soloist, to stick with the naming convention. This then leaves them with 4 road/gravel bike lines: Soloist, R-series, Caldonia and Aspero.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

maquisard

by maquisard

timmerrr wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:29 pm
This may be way too logical but I think they would likely rename the updated/evolved S5 to be the Soloist 5 and have this new bike be just the soloist, to stick with the naming convention. This then leaves them with 4 road/gravel bike lines: Soloist, R-series, Caldonia and Aspero.
This is exactly what is happending and I suspect the R-series will get a name instead of a letter designation. The -5 then denotes the high end of that model. I think aleady Cervelo stated in some article that this was the plan.

teakay

by teakay

Interesting. On the face of it, the bike appears to sit in that 'All rounder' category - Aero but light - Tarmac, Addict type of bike. Though Cervelo has always claimed the R5 is pretty aero and comparative to other bikes that would be used on Hilly or mountain stages. So with the new slightly modified S5 on the horizon covering faster stages where would the new bike fit in. Possibly as a classics bike or as there mid / low tier aero bike for riders without the luxury of being able to swap between the R5 or S5 depending on the course?

teakay

by teakay

Interesting. On the face of it, the bike appears to sit in that 'All rounder' category - Aero but light - Tarmac, Addict type of bike. Though Cervelo has always claimed the R5 is pretty aero and comparative to other bikes that would be used on Hilly or mountain stages. So with the new slightly modified S5 on the horizon covering faster stages where would the new bike fit in. Possibly as a classics bike or as there mid / low tier aero bike for riders without the luxury of being able to swap between the R5 or S5 depending on the course?

Mog88

by Mog88

Or to take this speculation in a different direction, is this perhaps them killing of the R series? Almost the opposite of what Specialized did with the Tarmac and Venge. Everything in the market seems to suggest against a bike company having an ultra aero, slightly aero, and lightweight climbing bike, and we already know there's a new S5 coming, so maybe this is going to be Tarmac-esque. Personally I think it's more likely an effectively new S3, but I'd be interested to know what Cervelo's sales figures are like for the R series vs S series.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

teakay wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:30 pm
So with the new slightly modified S5 on the horizon covering faster stages where would the new bike fit in.
As a mid tier bike sitting underneath both of them.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mog88 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:09 pm
Or to take this speculation in a different direction, is this perhaps them killing of the R series?
The mid tier bike that is called the R-Series, but not the R5
but I'd be interested to know what Cervelo's sales figures are like for the R series vs S series.
I would be surprised if they don't sell quite a few more R5s than S5s.

Mog88

by Mog88

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:37 pm
Sorry, when I say R-series I mean the entire 'R' range. I realise that was misleading.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mog88 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:48 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:37 pm
Sorry, when I say R-series I mean the entire 'R' range. I realise that was misleading.
So no, it isn't a replacement for the entire R range. Again, the brand new R5 only started being delivered 2 or 3 months ago. That model will have a 4 year lifespan.

Mog88

by Mog88

Ha, fair point, forgot all about that. I'll stick with the S3 replacement theory then.

Gary71

by Gary71

Maybe its for people who want the S5 but aren't Trekkie fans :D

bet609

by bet609

anyone saw more sightings / updates about the soloist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com