new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

TobinHatesYou wrote:Trek carbon is made in China at Quest Composite, the only finishing done elsewhere is P1 paint in various regions.
Trek bikes are made by Giant. Quest Composite probably makes carbon parts for Trek.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

extrusionedwin wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:01 pm
very easy, all the bike manufacturers in china is located in Xiamen

so Xiamen->Kinmen->Taipei, only takes 1 hours one trip.

with airplane only takes Xiamen to Taipei it only takes 45 mins.

Unless the volume is very low, committing to air freight for this kind of stuff seems stupidly expensive. Any "finishing" like painting or final assembly can just be done locally at lower expense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Usernamealex wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:55 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:Trek carbon is made in China at Quest Composite, the only finishing done elsewhere is P1 paint in various regions.
Trek bikes are made by Giant. Quest Composite probably makes carbon parts for Trek.

Tell that to my pal who used to work at Trek and visited Quest somewhat regularly.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

extrusionedwin wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:01 pm
very easy, all the bike manufacturers in china is located in Xiamen

so Xiamen->Kinmen->Taipei, only takes 1 hours one trip.
You need to look at a map...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anyway the future of carbon frame manufacturing is anywhere the workforce is cheaper than China, so SE Asian countries like Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc.

RDY

by RDY

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:58 pm
Usernamealex wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:55 pm

Tell that to my pal who used to work at Trek and visited Quest somewhat regularly.
Trek carbon bikes are made by both Quest and Giant, and have been for years and years. Nothing has changed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:51 pm

Trek carbon bikes are made by both Quest and Giant, and have been for years and years. Nothing has changed.

I just asked him

High-end = Quest
Low-end/midrange = XDS

Trek, to my knowledge, has not used Giant at any point in their history, not for carbon anyway.

RDY

by RDY

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:20 pm
RDY wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:51 pm

I just asked him

High-end = Quest
Low-end/midrange = XDS

Trek, to my knowledge, has not used Giant at any point in their history, not for carbon anyway.
Giant used to be Trek's largest carbon OEM by far, and were for ~15-20 years. The share has dwindled a lot, but they still make stuff for them. It may be mainly MTB now, not sure.

Just use Google. No recent images (as facilities don't allow cameras in these days), but there are loads of older photos of Treks being made and finished in Giant facilities.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:44 am

Just use Google. No recent images (as facilities don't allow cameras in these days), but there are loads of older photos of Treks being made and finished in Giant facilities.

And I invite you to look closely at those photos. For example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/inmotiona ... 186384395/

Those Treks are aluminum alloy.

TobinHatesYou wrote:

tmanley

by tmanley

Has anyone heard more about the potential Cervelo Soloist?

moock

by moock

tmanley wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:02 am
I am also very interrested in this. Hopefully Frameset only will be availible. And hopefully below 3k€ when its s3/r3 successor.

tmrace

by tmrace

moock wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:28 am
tmanley wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:02 am
I am also very interrested in this. Hopefully Frameset only will be availible. And hopefully below 3k€ when its s3/r3 successor.
The soloist is likely 8+ months out, or more. Cervelo officially announced the R5-CX last fall and still don't have any plans to sell the bike until later this summer. They also have a new S5 that I'd guess will be announced at the Tour. That would put the soloist announcement around the Vuelta, with availability not for another few months at best.

Obviously this is just speculation based on their past business cycle, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about having the Soloist in your hands until next year. You might be able to get a hold of the S5 later this year though.

tmanley

by tmanley

tmrace wrote:
moock wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:28 am
You might be able to get a hold of the S5 later this year though.
Unfortunately the S5 isn’t made in a 61cm otherwise it’s what I’d get. I do have confirmation the Soloist will come in a 61cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmanley

by tmanley

[quote="tmrace”]You might be able to get a hold of the S5 later this year though.[/quote]

Unfortunately the S5 isn’t made in a 61cm otherwise it’s what I’d get. I do have confirmation the Soloist will come in a 61cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dov

by Dov

Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12