new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

pmprego wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:26 pm
It seems to be cable inside the stem... Why can't they follow a solution under the stem and not inside the stem. Specialized/trek solution is so simple, neat and easy to work with. They don't really have to reinvent the wheel...
CT has a full teaser article with lots of pics on the new Propel, and it looks incredible. And listed as 7KG race ready:
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/06/2023-gi ... ra-wheels/

pmprego

by pmprego

yinzerniner wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:32 pm
pmprego wrote:
It seems to be cable inside the stem... Why can't they follow a solution under the stem and not inside the stem. Specialized/trek solution is so simple, neat and easy to work with. They don't really have to reinvent the wheel...
CT has a full teaser article with lots of pics on the new Propel, and it looks incredible. And listed as 7KG race ready:
Under the stem solution!! Yay!! Well done then giant!! Now we just need the official release info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Must be low geometry if even pros have spacers.

tmanley

by tmanley

I'm curious how high the seat post will eventually go. My legs are too long (ok, my height of 6'9" to be honest) for most of the mast-design frames - can't make the new Trek Madone work for me.

RDY

by RDY

pmprego wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:45 pm
yinzerniner wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Under the stem solution!! Yay!! Well done then giant!! Now we just need the official release info.
Think that might be the pro team rather than official solution. But if it works, who cares.

Also, still looks like it requires a hole in the back of the bar. No provision for semi-integrated per SMR etc.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Those are some sleek looking bittlecages. Anyone know which these are?

Ah they're giants. Nebermind then
Last edited by Eterna7m on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadB

by RadB

RDY wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:27 pm
pmprego wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:45 pm
yinzerniner wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Think that might be the pro team rather than official solution. But if it works, who cares.

Also, still looks like it requires a hole in the back of the bar. No provision for semi-integrated per SMR etc.
But allows for a range of bar stem combos, doesn't it? I'm happy -er, now let's see about delivery dates.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

After evaluating Trek and Scott new bikes geometry,
None of them are for me.

I have a preference for [slacker HTA+ longer fork offset] for longer front center (where front wheel locates vs bottom bracket) and BB drop between 70-75mm.
Trek: steep HTA and 45mm fork offset on my size (preferred 49-55mm like Specialized and Cannondale).
Scott: unknown fork offset but unlikely long when considering the wheelbase. A little tall bb.

I don't see full geometry of Giant yet. But I don't have a high hope. All prior Giants use the same fork offset for the entire size range. So I don't put my hope up for higher fork offset on small sizes this time.

Being picky about geometry makes my bike selection easy. I dissmiss 80% of the new bikes because the geometry aren't what I like.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:13 am
Mega small bikes with 700c wheels looks ridiculous anyway. But I hardly ever see anyone riding 650 wheels on the road.
Can you even buy a top end extra small bike with 650 wheels?
Wife had a tri-bike many years ago with 650 wheels, but not a road bike

Pato

by Pato

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:25 pm
After evaluating Trek and Scott new bikes geometry,
None of them are for me.

I have a preference for [slacker HTA+ longer fork offset] for longer front center (where front wheel locates vs bottom bracket) and BB drop between 70-75mm.
Trek: steep HTA and 45mm fork offset on my size (preferred 49-55mm like Specialized and Cannondale).
Scott: unknown fork offset but unlikely long when considering the wheelbase. A little tall bb.

I don't see full geometry of Giant yet. But I don't have a high hope. All prior Giants use the same fork offset for the entire size range. So I don't put my hope up for higher fork offset on small sizes this time.

Being picky about geometry makes my bike selection easy. I dissmiss 80% of the new bikes because the geometry aren't what I like.
I'm similar in your geometry criteria except that I'd preper a super short fork offset and that's the only reason I wouldn't buy the Madone with a 72 HTA...way too steep.
However my fear with the new propel is that the horizontal toptube in their smallest size might be around 48cm which looks really stupid if your seat height is around 65cm. I really hopes that's not the case.
Geometry asides, it ticks most of the boxes without a one-piece bar/stem, 0 offset seatpost, 2-bolt adjustable saddle, decent looking and usually Giant frames are not crazy priced.

cajer

by cajer

Andrew69 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:59 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:13 am
Mega small bikes with 700c wheels looks ridiculous anyway. But I hardly ever see anyone riding 650 wheels on the road.
Can you even buy a top end extra small bike with 650 wheels?
Wife had a tri-bike many years ago with 650 wheels, but not a road bike
No one makes decent tires/wheels in 650 so going down that route is pointless if you're racing

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Pato wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 pm
I'm similar in your geometry criteria except that I'd preper a super short fork offset and that's the only reason I wouldn't buy the Madone with a 72 HTA...way too steep.
huh?
So... you prefer short fork offset + slack HTA?
That means, you want high trail value?
Hmm. That's understandable but very rare for a road bike where we usually gravitate to 58-65mm trail since ~1970 to date.
Meanwhile, MTB's trail value creep up from 80mm-ish to over 110mm now.

Pato

by Pato

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 pm
Pato wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 pm
huh?
So... you prefer short fork offset + slack HTA?
That means, you want high trail value?
Hmm. That's understandable but very rare for a road bike where we usually gravitate to 58-65mm trail since ~1970 to date.
Meanwhile, MTB's trail value creep up from 80mm-ish to over 110mm now.
After doing a fork offset test (3 different lengths: 37/41/45) I was surprised how good the shortest offset felt combined with a 68 HTA. I was literaly riding without hands on gravel and cobbles with 28mm tires. When I tried it in the longest configuration there was no way I could even try removing both hands. Handling at speed felt really smooth so couldn't see any downsides to it, as a matter of fact in the descents it gave so much more confidence and when trying the long offset even though you'd gain some wheelbase it still felt twitchy in comparison.

renoracing

by renoracing

I really like a lot of things about this bike... I love my TCR, and specifically its downhill handling, which must be partially attributed to the 1 1/4 steerer and therefore stiffer front end. The idea of moving to this Propel is a definite possibility if they can manage to get the weight anywhere near the TCR(150g even).
The stem looks great, and allowing for aftermarket bars is a huge perk! Additionally, those bottle cages will work with a ton of other truncated down tube bikes I bet. I was recently looking to source a BMC cage to try on my 3T Strada, but these look like they'd offer an even better fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:25 pm

No one makes decent tires/wheels in 650 so going down that route is pointless if you're racing

Off the top of my head, Zipp and DT both make 650b wheels, and I know others do as well.

GP5K S TR and Schwalbe Pro One TLE come in 650b.