new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steve K

by Steve K

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:19 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:51 pm

In the bike industry the vast majority of the margin falls to the brand. POS typically gets a small cut.
The frameset I saw had a retailer price 1/4th of MSRP. Lower than most retail categories I can think of, including apparel. The luxury goods comparison is valid.
I have worked in the industry since 2005 and this is not even close to being accurate.

Konsi

by Konsi

In Europe typically between 30 and 40% margin for the dealer (including VAT)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:29 pm

What kind of retailer? Franchise store in the US which has very close relationship with the brand and does a bunch of 'co-marketing' with them? Carbon? Aluminium? Steel? Ti? A small independent bike store for one of the expensive (ticket price) carbon frames from big brands, that's typically unheard of.

MY23 premium carbon frame from a very large brand. Standard medium-sized IBD… pricing is not shop dependent.

RDY

by RDY

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:45 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:29 pm

What kind of retailer? Franchise store in the US which has very close relationship with the brand and does a bunch of 'co-marketing' with them? Carbon? Aluminium? Steel? Ti? A small independent bike store for one of the expensive (ticket price) carbon frames from big brands, that's typically unheard of.

MY23 premium carbon frame from a very large brand. Standard medium-sized IBD… pricing is not shop dependent.
I'm pretty sure it is shop dependent with the major brands, whether they claim so or not. Because some offer reduced cost of various SKUs en lieu of dedicated marketing bucks. Plus big chain bulk buying discounts ...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:45 pm

I'm pretty sure it is shop dependent with the major brands, whether they claim so or not. Because some offer reduced cost of various SKUs en lieu of dedicated marketing bucks. Plus big chain bulk buying discounts ...

In the US if you don't adhere to equitable pricing practices, that generally doesn't fly. IBDs will drop your brand and court another. If you try to expand to adversarial sales channels like sporting goods stores, online, etc. they will switch allegiances. MAP is enforced so aggressively here.

If there is favorable treatment it generally comes in other forms like priority allocations of bikes with heavily constrained supply.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

25% of retail for production cost (from 3rd party factory) is baseline for a basic (Gap / Uniqlo clothes) seasonal sized consumer good in the spaces I've worked in. For a basic clothing item, factory gets 25%, brand / distributors get 25%, and end retail gets 50% depending on payment terms/ crediting/commissions.

True basics (basic socks) - splits are likely the same, just tighter for everyone.
Semi-Luxury (Tumi, Allen Edmonds, Burberry), cost of production is usually in the same league as basic items, but the cost of shelf space is higher. Same splits though.
True Luxury- cost and sales price are disconnected.
Technical soft goods (Northface, Patagonia) or marketing intensive soft goods (sporting goods) - about the same split as basic items.
High SKu count, low production (glasses frames) - probably 1:25.
Technical hardware (phones, computers): retailers typically pay full price for the item and then earn sales commissions.

spartan

by spartan

on major brands like trek/spec you are looking on average 30 percent profit margin on complete bikes

e.g 10k retail the store pays 7k. they have 3-6 month to pay off the bike.
most of the $$$$$ is made by the brands not the LBS. they depend on servicing/parts accessories. pa have 50% markup.

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:19 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:51 pm

In the bike industry the vast majority of the margin falls to the brand. POS typically gets a small cut.
The frameset I saw had a retailer price 1/4th of MSRP. Lower than most retail categories I can think of, including apparel. The luxury goods comparison is valid.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

indrek
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by indrek

Not a rumor anymore, but a new Basso Astra came out in the very end of last year, and allthough there aren't much info (reviews) of it yet, I find it to being quite a compelling piece of bike, at least on the paper. Weight high 900's, more relaxed geo than Diamante, up to 35mm tires, all things integrated and a retail price of less than 2,5K (inc bars & seatpost) - I find it quite attractive. Assuming one can get a discount or "good" price at the local dealer, this would turn out to be a killer ride... Yes it is not Diamante, but it'll probably ride as just as well and be honest, how many guys at your local group knows the Basso line-up from the top of the head :)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

looks cookie cutter (not in a bad way) but I see zero compelling about it. Sorz well other then price.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Sockman

by Sockman

Any info on the release/update for the remaining Canyon Endurace models? The CF is the only one that has the maxed out tyre clearance, but it weighs between 8.5 & 9kg. I'd love to see a CF SL8 Aero with the aditional clearance to fit 35mm and have a legitimate gravel/road bike.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Sockman wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:26 am
Any info on the release/update for the remaining Canyon Endurace models? The CF is the only one that has the maxed out tyre clearance, but it weighs between 8.5 & 9kg. I'd love to see a CF SL8 Aero with the aditional clearance to fit 35mm and have a legitimate gravel/road bike.
In my opinion an update to the Endurace CF SL(X) is overdue and I'd expect it to be released early this year. I'm currently eyeing an Endurace CF 7 Di2 as well but want to wait and see what's in store for the CF SL level. The Aero variant has always been the value sweet spot.

Take it with a grain of salt but my local Canyon service partner mentioned that the Endurace will see a new update/geometry this spring.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

jayjay

by jayjay

thirdsun wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:32 am
Take it with a grain of salt but my local Canyon service partner mentioned that the Endurace will see a new update/geometry this spring.
Probably with the same cockpic as the Aeroad and Ultimate :roll:

RDY

by RDY

jayjay wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:40 am
thirdsun wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:32 am
Probably with the same cockpic as the Aeroad and Ultimate :roll:
Almost certainly. The purpose is to create a walled garden.

C36

by C36

They could almost need a standalone thread but Van Rysel launched at Velofolies show quite some interesting models that completely revamp their line-up
- What seems to be the Aero-Light bike, with deeper HT than the SL7, Filante, BMCs...
Image- More Endurance? but still with integrated Fork into the HT
Image- A TT bike

And a New Helmet

Mocs123

by Mocs123

That's some impressive looking stuff from Van Rysel (Decathlon) which I normally think of as a more budget oriented brand.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com