new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

JayDee81 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:05 am
cjm wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:06 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:46 pm
cjm wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:39 am
A few more details and photos of the Propel.

I've only just built my new TCR and I'm wanting one of these. :lol:

It will be interesting to see if a mechanical build is an option and what the cable routing is like.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ne ... ance-bike/
The CT (photo) article already said it is electronic only (both wired and wireless).
Which article is that, I haven't spotted it?

It could just be the SL, as the TCR SL is electronic only but the Pro and lower can take a mechanical setup.
Could be, but they haven't seen the Advanced Pro yet.
This one
The entire Propel range is electronic and disc only. That's Advanced SL, Advanced Pro and Advanced.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes ... and-racing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

patchandscruff wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:05 am

The entire Propel range is electronic and disc only. That's Advanced SL, Advanced Pro and Advanced.

This varies by market. Some regions still have Propels with mechanical groupsets. Some might even still have the rim-brake version for sale.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:37 am
You can achieve the necessary front-center two ways. You can use a “standard” HTA and fork offset or you can use a slack HTA and higher offset.
If you're lucky. In the still recent past most brands didn't even bother changing fork offsets, they'd just slacken the HTA and use the same fork as the other sizes. So you'd have a 44 and 48 cm bikes with completely different handling characteristics to 51s and 52s. I'm sure some still do.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
You can achieve the necessary front-center two ways. You can use a “standard” HTA and fork offset or you can use a slack HTA and higher offset.
If you're lucky. In the still recent past most brands didn't even bother changing fork offsets, they'd just slacken the HTA and use the same fork as the other sizes. So you'd have a 44 and 48 cm bikes with completely different handling characteristics to 51s and 52s. I'm sure some still do.

Just realized I forgot to put in plus longer TT to the first option.

cjm

by cjm

patchandscruff wrote:
JayDee81 wrote:
cjm wrote:
JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:46 pm

The CT (photo) article already said it is electronic only (both wired and wireless).

It could just be the SL, as the TCR SL is electronic only but the Pro and lower can take a mechanical setup.
This one

The Propel Advanced disc 2 in your link has mechanical 105, plus the Advanced Pro frameset can still run mechanical.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:44 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Just realized I forgot to put in plus longer TT to the first option.
I figured that was implied :wink:

theovcak

by theovcak

renoracing wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 pm
I really like a lot of things about this bike... I love my TCR, and specifically its downhill handling, which must be partially attributed to the 1 1/4 steerer and therefore stiffer front end. The idea of moving to this Propel is a definite possibility if they can manage to get the weight anywhere near the TCR(150g even).
The stem looks great, and allowing for aftermarket bars is a huge perk! Additionally, those bottle cages will work with a ton of other truncated down tube bikes I bet. I was recently looking to source a BMC cage to try on my 3T Strada, but these look like they'd offer an even better fit.
Seems Giant is not sacrificing handling and stiffness for aero at all costs. I love that bike. At least my current idea of it. :)
Attachments
propel.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

theovcak wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:42 am

Seems Giant is not sacrificing handling and stiffness for aero at all costs. I love that bike. At least my current idea of it. :)

They're sacrificing compatibility. The reason why the Propel HT doesn't taper is the same reason why the Scott Addict and every FSA ACR bike doesn't taper. The bore has to accommodate a 1-1/4" steerer or an eccentric 1-1/8" steerer in Scott's case.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

As a size 48-51 rider, I couldn't care less if my headtube is tapered. There's only 90-100mm long headtube. Assume 20mm top and 20mm bottom have full width for bearing seat. Then there'd left about 60mm including the transition area available for taper. It may end up with 10-20mm where head tube reach peak narrow width if the taper is not too abrupt.
Still, a slimmer headtube looks nicer overall but I'm not that picky.

DeeDoubleYou

by DeeDoubleYou

cjm wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:55 pm
patchandscruff wrote:
JayDee81 wrote:
cjm wrote:

This one

The Propel Advanced disc 2 in your link has mechanical 105, plus the Advanced Pro frameset can still run mechanical.
Was going to say the same! We still have mechanical groupset bikes with V-brakes in the UK range.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

I was given a look into the 2023 Cube catalog at my local dealer today.
Few takeaways:
- The new Litening is called "Litening Air"
- will co-exist alongside the regular Litening
- apparently roughly the same frame-weight as the SL7 (799g)
- If I remember correctly, it will only come with Shimano groups and as a frameset (frameset probably at a later date) - This was forced by Shimano so they keep their "spot in the line" for delivieres of components
- dont remember the exact colours, but there was a red one and a blue one I think.
- the regular Litening still comes in four variants (Force, Red, Ultegra and Dura-Ace)
- new colors for the regular Litening, including a sexy as hell emerald-kinda-green (I think it was on the Sram Red model, but not quite sure)
- the other colors were grey-blue-ish, white-blue and black.
- will again come as a frameset, although there was no color shown for that.
- no final word on pricing, but they will probably go up by around 250€.
- also a new Aerium Triathlon bike (probaly with disc brakes, but there were no pictures of that)

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 pm
Few takeaways:
- If I remember correctly, it will only come with Shimano groups and as a frameset (frameset probably at a later date) - This was forced by Shimano so they keep their "spot in the line" for delivieres of components
- dont remember the exact colours, but there was a red one and a blue one I think.
- the regular Litening still comes in four variants (Force, Red, Ultegra and Dura-Ace)
- new colors for the regular Litening, including a sexy as hell emerald-kinda-green (I think it was on the Sram Red model, but not quite sure)
- also a new Aerium Triathlon bike (probaly with disc brakes, but there were no pictures of that)
Once I've dealt with my current build, I'll be looking into this new slimmed down Litening as well.
FINISHED : Cube Litening C:68X S

henau212

by henau212

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Few takeaways:
I love Shimano groupsets.. But if that is a dick move if true. No Powermeters for reviewers, the Hammerhead thing and now this. I don't get whats up with them lately.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

henau212 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:07 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Few takeaways:
I love Shimano groupsets.. But if that is a dick move if true. No Powermeters for reviewers, the Hammerhead thing and now this. I don't get whats up with them lately.
A local dealer isn't going to know that, they're just making it up to sound like they're more connected than they really are. Plus, why would Shimano do that to Cube when every other bike brand has side by side Shimano and Sram bikes in their range right now?

More likely Cube couldn't secure enough Sram supply to make it worth their while. Sram road lead times are insane right now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

henau212 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:07 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Few takeaways:
Yeah, that seems unnecessarily aggressive.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2