new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stendhal

by Stendhal

pmprego wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:26 am
goatalope wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:23 pm
So 1x only? ...thinking back to the Softride bikes with that weird appendage for the front derailleur. Ewww.
Then you have new tech such as classified hub.

2x is a dying technology. They have to start thinking (designing) ahead.
I'm intrigued by Classified and hope to make it to Sea Otter in April to check it out there (they are exhibiting)
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

You lose a few % drive train effiency. So if you want to go fast there's no point in looking at classified.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:22 pm
You lose a few % drive train effiency. So if you want to go fast there's no point in looking at classified.

On an extended steep climb perhaps, but there is something to be said about being able to stay in something 50x17 or 50x19 or with a very straight chainline. Or perform a front shift instantly with no hesitation/delay.

elmtree

by elmtree

cajer wrote:
That's only in the virtual small ring though. So if you're in the 1:1 it's exactly the same as a normal 1x setup. I know one person very happy with it in gravel and they're fast. I think reliability is more of an issue for those long gravel races once you're strong enough.

njleach

by njleach

Isn't the Classified system more aerodynamic because of the 1x setup, i.e. one less chainring and no derailleur?

So whatever you're losing in drivetrain efficiency you're probably making up for in reduced drag

emotive

by emotive

njleach wrote:Isn't the Classified system more aerodynamic because of the 1x setup, i.e. one less chainring and no derailleur?

So whatever you're losing in drivetrain efficiency you're probably making up for in reduced drag
I don’t think a 1x is going to be a few percent more aero. No idea but I would guess less than 0.5% gain?

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Typically 3-4W gained aerodynamically. 6-8W lost due to drive-train inefficiency.

cajer

by cajer

MichaelK wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:18 am
Typically 3-4W gained aerodynamically. 6-8W lost due to drive-train inefficiency.
All the 1x testing I've seen show at ~2W at 40-45 kph. Where as you're losing 3-5% due to your gear hub at all times. If you're pushing 300W up a hill that's up to 15W losses, which is huge and the equivlant of losing a few kg.
elmtree wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:40 am
cajer wrote:
That's only in the virtual small ring though. So if you're in the 1:1 it's exactly the same as a normal 1x setup. I know one person very happy with it in gravel and they're fast. I think reliability is more of an issue for those long gravel races once you're strong enough.
Do we know if all the gears decouple in the large "ring"? I'm not sure that's the case as it would require very careful gear timing.

elmtree

by elmtree

elmtree wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:40 am
cajer wrote:
Do we know if all the gears decouple in the large "ring"? I'm not sure that's the case as it would require very careful gear timing.
[/quote]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but basically in the "big" ring is just a locked hub so it acts like a normal hub. "Little ring" is when the internal gearbox enrages and you use a little efficiency

jfranci3

by jfranci3

cajer wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:50 pm
MichaelK wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:18 am
All the 1x testing I've seen show at ~2W at 40-45 kph. Where as you're losing 3-5% due to your gear hub at all times. If you're pushing 300W up a hill that's up to 15W losses, which is huge and the equivlant of losing a few kg.
[/quote]

I think your numbers are excessive on the drivetrain effiency - 2w at lower speeds to 6w at top speeds @250w on an uncommonly wide 10-48 vs 11-34 cassette. Note that going from the big ring to the little one effectively costs you 2w as well. A road/TT drivetrain would be closer. https://www.cyclingabout.com/drivetrain ... een-1x-2x/
As for aero, most TT chainring makers claim 1-4w at 50kph on a TT bike. On a gravel/road bike, you're putting a larger RD and cassette on there. I'd say it's a wash. The better arguement for 1x is just less complexity.

On the classififed hub, it's locked in main gear, so no mechanical loss. In the hill climb gear, most geared system gives up ~4% to a single speed.

Single Speed (Chainlube test by same lab ) = 5w loss on 53x11(/) https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... ound-1.pdf
Deraileur big ring = 13w loss in 53x11

Normalizing these numbers (middle cog; going from a 11t -> 16t saves about 3w before the drop off isn't so big).
Single speed: est 2w loss (53x15t) ~1% loss
2x big ring (53x21t): 9w loss ~3.5% loss
2x little ring (39x 21t): 9w loss ~3.5% loss
1x (48x21): 10w loss ~4% loss
Classified locked (53x21): est 9w loss ~3.5% loss
Classified :.7 gear (53x21): est16w loss ~6.5% loss (3.5% more than the deraileur system + 3% gearbox inefficency)

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

We don't have the data for classified, so this is just conjecture. They claim < 1% losses, no one believes that based on other geared systems, so we just need to wait until someone tests it.

That said, little ring is less efficient than big ring, by like 1w. That loss won't be there with classified.

HHH

by HHH

IMG_1998.jpg
WTF!

cajer

by cajer

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:40 pm
We don't have the data for classified, so this is just conjecture. They claim < 1% losses, no one believes that based on other geared systems, so we just need to wait until someone tests it.

That said, little ring is less efficient than big ring, by like 1w. That loss won't be there with classified.
Gotcha I hadn't realize things were locked before. It's almost impossible they see < 1% losses as plantary gear systems are very mature. Even still as shown above, it's still a huge amount of losses, of which very few are recovered via aero.

cajer

by cajer

HHH wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:14 am
IMG_1998.jpg
WTF!
HHH wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:14 am
IMG_1998.jpg
WTF!
Seems like the much higher seat tube bottle would preclude smaller frame sizes. Additionally that seems much more draggy than having it + down tube bottle lower down

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

There's pictures circulating with bottle cages on the top tube so my guess would be something between gravel/mtb endurance.