new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ccie6872

by ccie6872

micky wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:27 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:54 am
V4Rs?
As mentioned from others;

-rear higher seat stays junction with an "aero shape"
-top tube with a more detailed shape near head tube
-using same headset as C68 with Ceramicspeed top cap

and what look like a new more aero shaped seatspost?
Looks larger than the one used in actual models.
Is it me or those hoods look different as well?

pmprego

by pmprego

Conradsleight wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:21 pm
pmprego wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:23 pm
micky wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:54 am
V4Rs?

This is something I expect every high-end bike to follow along. If this really makes the headset bearing last a lifetime, it's a nice investment in a time where cables are all hidden in the headtube.

They will also have to make it lighter somehow. If not the frame then the fork of the small parts like pinarello did.
Factor has been doing this well before colnago. Since 2020 with the Ostro.
I know. That's why I mentioned "every high end bike". Not just factor but for the price they charge, everyone should do it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

pmprego wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:08 pm
Conradsleight wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:21 pm
pmprego wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:23 pm
micky wrote:

This is something I expect every high-end bike to follow along. If this really makes the headset bearing last a lifetime, it's a nice investment in a time where cables are all hidden in the headtube.

They will also have to make it lighter somehow. If not the frame then the fork of the small parts like pinarello did.
Factor has been doing this well before colnago. Since 2020 with the Ostro.
I know. That's why I mentioned "every high end bike". Not just factor but for the price they charge, everyone should do it.
Fair point, and agreed.

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

I really hope the new ultimate ditches the adjustable handlebar like the aeroad. I understand the choice to let customers adjust their handlebar width without undoing all the cables but the handlebar must be a boat anchor. And so many possible points of failure. I just hope it is a one piece like before, maybe even with the cables routed like the Trek Emonda and SL7. That would allow to change bars just by undoing the bar tape and allows aftermarket option.

But given the price delta, I still suspect the new lightweight Cube will be my next bike. IWG seem not to bother hiding it on their Instagram anymore. Anyone close friends with a Cube dealer perhaps?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ODC wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:24 am
Where is the time that most frames had there own identity. These days almost all bikes look the same.
Literally never.

C36

by C36

Bjobjo wrote:I really hope the new ultimate ditches the adjustable handlebar like the aeroad. I understand the choice to let customers adjust their handlebar width without undoing all the cables but the handlebar must be a boat anchor.
The gain is from an industrial-process point of view: you are faster (cheaper) assembling bikes and can ship them easily (so cheaper). Also you need less moulds and stocks to accommodate everyone (so cheaper). The rest is secondary.

C36

by C36

Karvalo wrote:
ODC wrote:
Where is the time that most frames had there own identity. These days almost all bikes look the same.
Literally never.
No, mid-90s to 2010s you had 15 years with plenty of diversity. steel/alu/carbon/Ti shared the pro peloton teams. You had a mix of custom welded bikes from Columbus or Dedacciai tubes, proprietary tubes (Cannondale, Klein, stork, principia,GT), carbon with Al lugs (look), carbon lugs (time, Colnago), monobloc (corima, look), brands ran under make up (pegoretti for Specialized, litespeed for peugeot, P3 for Looks, parlée for Cervelos) without counting on prototypes (looks TI TT bikes, or 650, giant 650…).

LouisN

by LouisN

maquisard

by maquisard

C36 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:09 pm
parlée for Cervelos
Curious who this one was, who would actually want to ride a parlée out of choice?! :noidea:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

C36 wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
ODC wrote:
Literally never.
No, mid-90s to 2010s you had 15 years with plenty of diversity. steel/alu/carbon/Ti shared the pro peloton teams. You had a mix of custom welded bikes from Columbus or Dedacciai tubes, proprietary tubes (Cannondale, Klein, stork, principia,GT), carbon with Al lugs (look), carbon lugs (time, Colnago), monobloc (corima, look), brands ran under make up (pegoretti for Specialized, litespeed for peugeot, P3 for Looks, parlée for Cervelos) without counting on prototypes (looks TI TT bikes, or 650, giant 650…).
And they still almost all looked the same.

C36

by C36

maquisard wrote:
C36 wrote:
parlée for Cervelos
Curious who this one was, who would actually want to ride a parlée out of choice?! :noidea:
Hamilton in 2002 on a Z1 (giro if I am correct)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
ODC wrote:
Literally never.

And yet they all shared the basic double-triangle look until the 2010s when some of the carbon bikes got slightly swoopy like the Tarmac and original Venge, original Madone, etc.

jlok

by jlok

C36 wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
ODC wrote:
Literally never.
Agree. Look at a BMC bike and you know it's BMC even when it is unpaint. Identity.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:38 am

Agree. Look at a BMC bike and you know it's BMC even when it is unpaint. Identity.

IMO this is more true right now than ever. Show off black/white silhouettes of a BMC Teammachine SLR, a Lapierre Xelius SL, an Emonda SLR, an S-Works Tarmac SL7, a Cannondale SystemSix, a Pinarello Dogma F and any of us can identify them...right?

We've got chonky aero bikes now, and they're about to get even chonkier. This wasn't really the case in the 90s other than some one-offs that got killed by UCI regulations (Y-Foil, MCR, etc.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote: And yet they all shared the basic double-triangle look until the 2010s when some of the carbon bikes got slightly swoopy like the Tarmac and original Venge, original Madone, etc.
Let me bring back the past… funny / aero shapes were present way before 2010s: look kg196, Corima Puma, C4 joker, C4 47-61, Vitus ZXR, look 486 or even 2004 madone 5.9, then you had metallic aero frames early 2000: Specialized M4, Cannondale Caad4 aero, cervelo Soloist.
And those frames existed along to steel / aluminium and Titanium. Some with wild designs (Polchlopek rigid role in steel is a late 80s/ 90s one).

I don’t say all bikes are alike, far from this but we have a fraction of the variety in shapes, material or concepts we had before.
Last edited by C36 on Wed May 25, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.