new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C36

by C36

bedampft wrote: TCR will go down in weight in the future. The new Propel will be similiar to the SL7, and the new Cube Litening Air
I am not seeing any similarities between the propel designed here and the SL7 either on the design nor the philosophy. You have a all around bike that succeed as being aero and a bike that is more like a system six, designed for aero first.
pmprego wrote:
C36 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:11 pm
FatLadAtTheBack wrote: Giant now offer the Propel, a light aero bike, and the TCR, an aero light bike.
TCR is NOT aero… a 2016 Supersix evo2 is more aero
It could be less aero than a square building, that's not the point. The point is that giant started marketing it as a light bike that had aero features.

The point is that I answered to a « TCR, an aero light bike » that is incorrect. The SL7 is aero and light, the Pinarello F is aero while being good on all playground. The TCR is d disappointingly not aero, in the emonda/domane category and this regardless of Giant propaganda.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

TCR has been the handling/feeling/descending bike. Take 100 grams off the frame and you can attack the Aethos in the category that Specialized is trying to market into existence :mrgreen:
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

RDY

by RDY

Aeo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:24 am
TCR has been the handling/feeling/descending bike. Take 100 grams off the frame and you can attack the Aethos in the category that Specialized is trying to market into existence :mrgreen:
You won't take 100g off the TCR SL without seriously compromising its stiffness. It won't be a TCR if it's not stiff. Aethos is a noodle.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:15 am

You won't take 100g off the TCR SL without seriously compromising its stiffness. It won't be a TCR if it's not stiff. Aethos is a noodle.

Not just stiffness. Remember that bulletin/e-mail sent to Specialized dealers not to sell the Aethos. They had to change some fine print in the included documentation because an Aethos got damaged in an absurd way while filming a third-party promo.

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:21 am
RDY wrote:

Not just stiffness. Remember that bulletin/e-mail sent to Specialized dealers not to sell the Aethos. They had to change some fine print in the included documentation because an Aethos got damaged in an absurd way while filming a third-party promo.
Can you elaborate just a bit?

I've never seen a report of the aethos being a noodle. I've seen the opposite but I know how reviewers have to play nice with brands. This is why I'm asking just a bit more detail please.

maquisard

by maquisard

And how did the Aethos get damaged in the promo filming?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Aeo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:24 am
I'm guessing the addressable aero bike market has shrunk since the SL7 was successfully marketed as 'one bike to rule them all'.

I am guessing this has also affected Giant and Propel sales. This might be why they are moving the Propel away from a 'pure undiluted aero' bike.

The TCR is not very aero, despite looking like it has aero features, so there will still be clear daylight between these frames, especially if next gen TCR is made lighter.

I for one am looking forward to the new Propel. It would be great to have a DB aero bike with deep wheels at 6.5kg, but with handling/descending stability of a pure road bike.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I apologize if this is buried in here somewhere and I missed it but what's the time frame on the Sl8 tarmac?
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

NotYou

by NotYou

rollinslow wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:50 pm
I apologize if this is buried in here somewhere and I missed it but what's the time frame on the Sl8 tarmac?
Based on usual release cadence of the Tarmac, earliest next year. The last one was released 2020, with first sneak peeks in 2019. Add 4 years, and you can expect some early photos next summer.
But who knows, maybe the rumored Re-Venge appears earlier than that
Last edited by NotYou on Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:21 am
RDY wrote:

I didn't want to lose this story. Would love to ear it.

maquisard

by maquisard

Me too, mainly as I have an Aethos on order...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you don't have a very duck-footed pedaling style, you're probably fine.

maquisard

by maquisard

Back of the shoe rubbing the stay and causing a hole?

That is always a problem for some with modern frame design and large wide chain stays.

If that is the only issue I am happy

IchDien

by IchDien

GaBa

by GaBa

Has already been mentioned in this topic, found some more photos - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cen9EwSOmi_/?hl=en

It seems its an Ostro Gravel, which makes sense since OG naming jas also already been mentioned somewhere here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com