Good 40 euros 0°C gloves

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StanK

by StanK

Wanted...
good five-finger winter gloves, for ride around 0°, and for guy who can't stand cold weather, as opposite to warm weather, and no more than 40 euros. Is it possible?

Please, only proven solutions, not "I think it would be good". And I would love to find them in some bigger EU web shop. I need a few more little things, so that they are not just gloves with + approx. 10 euros postage.

In last couple of rides I find that my old (some good 15 years old) trusty KTM winter gloves is weakest part of my winter wardrobe, meaning that after 60 minutes (begining after 40-45 min.) I almost loose feeling in my fingers. So, straight home is best option then, which I want to avoid, and ride some 30 minutes more.
I don't know why, maybe because they are old (although it looks like new almost), maybe because I'm older (past 50)... In short, I'm in a hurry to buy some good gloves for stated conditions, to still try them this winter.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Bar Mitts :thumbup: I've ridden them down to -6*C with just light gloves on, warm hands and full dexterity. Only drawback is that they restrict you to the hoods positions, but that's worth it to me for warm hands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I ride in very cold weather and can say that there's no such thing as 0 degree gloves. When I expect to see 0 degrees (32F for those in the U.S.) I use chemical hand warmers. I buy them in bulk (case of 40) so they don't cost that much on a per-use basis. They cost me less than $30 USD shipped for a case. They also have a very long shelf life so whatever I don't end up using will roll over to the next season. I also use chemical toe warmers as well. On my ride yesterday I started right at 0 degrees and finished the ride at -8. And my hands were still very cold despite me having both chemical warmers and lobster gloves. It would be impossible to ride at that temp. without any chemical warmers. If I start a ride at 0 degrees and expect to finish the ride at 5 I still use them because they feel so great. If you do decide to try them I recommend the brand 'HotHands'. I don't know if they are available in the EU. You can also consider gloves with electric heat but I have not tried them. Lastly, although you didn't experience coldness on your upper body, keeping your core temp. high is essential for keeping your extremities warm. When your core temp. starts to drop your body stops sending blood to your extremities. This is a self survival mechanism....you can lose a limb but still live if you're in a near-death environment. So one of the cheapest and easiest thing is try is to over-dress your upper and lower bodies. Good luck.
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Galibrier Barrier Deep Winter Gloves?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

kode54

by kode54

I have issues keeping extremities from going numb in temps below 35F.

I started to use mittens which helped a lot but still have to drop in a chemical pack. Feet are usually an issue until I started using chemical insoles. I can ride down to 22F for 2 hrs max. I haven’t found any gloves that work without chemical packs below 32F.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ooo

by ooo

fingers are getting cold when blood temperature drops and - cold blood circulation stops at finger first
to increase blood temperature you need to use extra layers all over, including body parts that you don't feel cold

very important to use extra layer on your ears, this is one of exposed part of the body, where blood is loosing temperature very fast unnoticeable (because blood circulation in ears is still active at low blood temperature)

you may also loose some blood temperature if you didn't have enough layers on other body parts, for example:
if you feel comfortable riding with chilly legs with a few layers on them, your legs will be ok,
but your blood temperature drops and your fingers on hands/legs will get cold from this

ali link - you can try 7.4V battery powered gloves, as an emergency option (extra size + padded fingerless cycling gloves under them)
Last edited by ooo on Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'

StanK

by StanK

rides4beer wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:14 pm
Bar Mitts :thumbup: ...
WTF is that? :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Thanks, but... no... thanks :D I said "five finger" also, so ...

StanK

by StanK

Mocs123 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:33 pm
Galibrier Barrier Deep Winter Gloves?
Looks promising. Noted. Thanks.
You use them?

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Have you tried lobsters as an interim solution? I've had 3+1 and 2+2, both work better than gloves and can be used down to minus 15degC or lower, but some loss of dexterity.
I've got some of the Grip Grab Windsters and have used them down below zero (on and off road) add some meraklon or silk liners and you'll get another 5 degrees.
A colleague of mine swears by Chiba winter gloves, though you can't easily get them here.
Also, warm arms first.

StanK

by StanK

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:32 pm
I ride in very cold weather and can say that there's no such thing as 0 degree gloves...
Yes, there is. I have them, they worked, until this year. Of course, there were no "0°C" sticker on them.

In short, I described my situation, and what I want, so I think it's relatively simple. Of course, each of us is different (I saw a bloke in short sleeve jersey on his bike at the end of October, while I have summer base layer and long sleeve jersey), so that's obvious.

Prior to this problem, my main problem were feet. But I have figure it out - I put my spring/autumn shoes cover, and then on top of it, my neoprene winter shoes cover. Problem solved, at least for an hour. In winter (0-10°C) I'm happy with 30-35km under my belt.

I was thinking of same solution for my fingers (double gloves), but I don't think it would work. Legs/feet at least move a bit, hand fingers (I'm ride mostly on hoods), along with palms and arms, are almost in the same position constantly - they hiting the air first. So, main problem is cold air hiting the fingers, and to some degree, sweat on them. And speed, of course.

When I stop, within a minute, my fingers are no longer cold (or numb), so for me it's a proven fact. And for purpose that I need. Or, if I ride 10km/h slower, fingers are ok. But, there is no point in doing that.

EDIT:

Grip Grab Windsters... Also, note taken. Thanks, @ ghostinthemachine. Although is almost 10 euros +.

Actually, I found some Ekoi gloves that probably would do the job, but their shipping cost is mostly double than rest of EU shops. Sometimes is not. Funny things with them, but all in all they have very decent stuff for money.
Last edited by StanK on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

pdlpsher1 wrote:
I ride in very cold weather and can say that there's no such thing as 0 degree gloves.
I ride through scandinavian winters, i've had gloves that are good to -15.

I've done 2 hour rides in those conditions (between 10 and 15 below), once you get beyond that duration without a long stop, i find that everything starts to shut down, difficult to take energy in and keep warm, and concentrate.

robeambro

by robeambro

StanK wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:10 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I ride in very cold weather and can say that there's no such thing as 0 degree gloves...
Yes, there is. I have them, they worked, until this year. Of course, there were no "0°C" sticker on them.

In short, I described my situation, and what I want, so I think it's relatively simple. Of course, each of us is different (I saw a bloke in short sleeve jersey on his bike at the end of October, while I have summer base layer and long sleeve jersey), so that's obvious.

Prior to this problem, my main problem were feet. But I have figure it out - I put my spring/autumn shoes cover, and then on top of it, my neoprene winter shoes cover. Problem solved, at least for an hour. In winter (0-10°C) I'm happy with 30-35km under my belt.

I was thinking of same solution for my fingers (double gloves), but I don't think it would work. Legs/feet at least move a bit, hand fingers (I'm ride mostly on hoods), along with palms and arms, are almost in the same position constantly - they hiting the air first. So, main problem is cold air hiting the fingers, and to some degree, sweat on them. And speed, of course.

When I stop, within a minute, my fingers are no longer cold (or numb), so for me it's a proven fact. And for purpose that I need. Or, if I ride 10km/h slower, fingers are ok. But, there is no point in doing that.

EDIT:

Grip Grab Windsters... Also, note taken. Thanks, @ ghostinthemachine. Although is almost 10 euros +.

Actually, I found some Ekoi gloves that probably would do the job, but their shipping cost is mostly double than rest of EU shops. Sometimes is not. Funny things with them, but all in all they have very decent stuff for money.
I understand you want to be "sure" that they work based on other people's experiences, but I have friends who ride at 2-3c with no gloves. Would I listen to their advice? Of course not.
I always have cold hands and feet, on or off the bike, so I'm definitely not one of those people.

That said, I don't know if there's a magic glove that does everything. For sure, a relatively cheap way to make the gloves work better is to layer. For example, you could wear a thin velvet base glove, then a woolly liner, and finally a wind proof outer layer.

You can check Dissent 133 gloves for inspiration - I use these, but there's no reason not to try and replicate this approach with other gloves if you want. I find that they work for me in that they avoid my hands going completely numb and painful (which happens with most other deep winter gloves), and relatively warm when going up, but my hands still get a bit chilly on a long descent (especially if I don't wear a jacket to compensate).

A key aspect is to size up so that you leave room for some pockets of warm air to keep your hands toasty. Especially when layering, "choking" your hands can totally hamper your efforts to stay warm.

andreas

by andreas

I live in an area that has snow and usually between 0C to -10C degrees in the winter, and have a medical condition that results in toes and fingers going very cold pretty fast. The only thing that really works for me is bar mitts on the handlebars and Lenz Toe Cap electrical heating socks on my feet.

If it's a short ride and in the upper range of the temperatures, I sometimes drop the bar mitts and use layers of merino wool liners, random xc ski gloves and bring a pair of shell mittens for the long descents. I've stopped trying to find a single glove that keeps you warm, I've been through praised stuff like the 45nrth sturmfist.

StanK

by StanK

robeambro wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:48 am
... A key aspect is to size up so that you leave room for some pockets of warm air to keep your hands toasty. Especially when layering, "choking" your hands can totally hamper your efforts to stay warm.
:thumbup: That exactly came to my mind when you mentioned layering above in the post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

I am too old and soft.
If it is that cold now I am inside on zwift

I did used to commute to work in zero degree temps.
Aldi ski gloves ftw.
Not small or stylish, but effective and cheap.