Good 40 euros 0°C gloves

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VeloHelo

by VeloHelo

ooo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:10 pm
fingers are getting cold when blood temperature drops and - cold blood ciriculation stops at finger first
to increase blood temperature you need to use extra layers all over, including body parts that you don't feel cold
I don't think that cold ears lead to cold fingers, but warm arms and wrists are critical for warm fingers anyway. So watch out for long gloves like the Roekl Rokka GTX (wich is above your budget, but work realy well for me). But there are cheaper gloves, wich you can size up and use some liners.
Skigloves work temperature wise as well. The only drawback is that (as I remember), they are stiffer than cycling gloves. In my case sometimes they got stuck between the shift and brake lever while shifting.

So for me the only solution that realy worked was buying some more expensive gloves than 40.-.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

SCOTT Gloves Winter Stretch LF
Shimano Infinium Race
Spiuk Boreas

... anyone tryed one of these?

They are on sales in some of my favourite web shops.

StanK

by StanK

VeloHelo wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:11 pm
... So for me the only solution that realy worked was buying some more expensive gloves than 40.-.
Yes, it's a greater posibility that more expensive stuff would be better, but it's not the rule. If I know for sure that some 100 euros gloves would be all I'm asking for - no problem. But what if not? What if would be just about the same?

Btw. I have another gloves, thiner, that I buyed for spring/summer. I paid them some 20-25 euros. Theay are almost as good as KTM winter gloves in cold. They work for me down to 5-6°C, to my surprise, and they shouldn't. So, gambling that much for 5°C down is out of question.

I can justify 40 euros and tell myself "I tried" or "at least I have new winter gloves", but for double of that or more ... Too many money already spent for things (clothing and parts) that didn't worked as they should, for various reason. And each time there is some money loss.

If nothing else, I have pretty good idea for prices/quality ratio and what you can expect, at least in budget and most of middle class. And I know that such gloves can be found. Not lot of them, but severeal models for sure. Problem is, that I don't know which are they. So, I ask here. Maybe I'll get lucky :)

usr

by usr

Sealskinz "Waterproof All Weather Ultra Grip Knitted Glove". I can't stand sewn winter gloves for cycling, they feel as if they'd consist almost entirely of stiff seams which knitted gloves don't have at all. Two layers of knitting bonded with a membrane between them means that there's no annoying "inner pulled out by sweaty finger" and the like, it really just feels like they solved the gloves problem.

If they are not warm enough at zero celsius, what ooo wrote on the first page: sometimes it's not an inadequate glove but too much heat loss system wide that just manifests itself at the fingers first. Last time I rode close to zero I accidentally took the Castelli knitted (Prima or Corridore, I don't remember which as I have both, unfortunately neither is made anymore) and it was cold but bearable, the Sealskinz are *much* warmer.

StanK

by StanK

I have a look at some feedbacks... Galibier vs. Sealskinz.
All in all, Galibier won. Problem is that they are UK brand, and not be founding in EU market at the moment. Even their webshop they haven't all sizes, especially mine (M). And with the extra customs costs ... no way.

Pity, because I already make up my mind. So, it will probably be EKOI Artic Hipora or nothing.
Or I wait for some extra sale in spring, and find some big discount of some pricier rivals.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

usr wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:37 pm
Sealskinz "Waterproof All Weather Ultra Grip Knitted Glove". I can't stand sewn winter gloves for cycling, they feel as if they'd consist almost entirely of stiff seams which knitted gloves don't have at all. Two layers of knitting bonded with a membrane between them means that there's no annoying "inner pulled out by sweaty finger" and the like, it really just feels like they solved the gloves problem.

If they are not warm enough at zero celsius, what ooo wrote on the first page: sometimes it's not an inadequate glove but too much heat loss system wide that just manifests itself at the fingers first. Last time I rode close to zero I accidentally took the Castelli knitted (Prima or Corridore, I don't remember which as I have both, unfortunately neither is made anymore) and it was cold but bearable, the Sealskinz are *much* warmer.
Another vote for the ultra grip sealskinz here.

Not too bulky so can still feel what your hands are meant to be doing. Windproof, and waterproof.
Also look around and can find them at a reasonable discount. I've a pair of the gauntlet version (£25 from pbk at the time), and a pair of the normal ones that were 15 from halfrauds in clearance.
Hands don't feel toasty the minute you put them on, but warm up and stay warm.
Official cafe stop tester

StanK

by StanK

jekyll man wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:41 am
Another vote for the ultra grip sealskinz here....
Ok, then I will order them. Problem(s) that is repeatedly mentioned elsewhere are visible without going to ride, so I can always return them. I don’t have too many choices anyway, if I want to try and buy in one place (web-shop). Which I want.

Probably would be like with helmets. I order at least 5-6 of them, take one, rest is coming back to shop.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Try putting a pair of latex disposable gloves on under the gloves you already have. It might surprise you how much warmer you are. It can actually make your hands sweaty. Otherwise bar mitts are the most effective. I know they look silly. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

i did a 150km ride over 6hours last weekend with Northwave Active Gel Gloves (not very intensive, around 2.5 w/kg, so body ran reasonable cool). That was around 0-4oC according to Garmin. Didnt see rain, but the ground splashed up enough dirt to cover the bike. Also had one skid around one of the corners and the gloves survived without any issues (palm went down first, the gel pad took most of the impact). my hands did feel the gloves were at the limit, dipped further down below 0oC, i think i will start to suffer. I was so impressed with them i ordered another two pairs, lol. Merin cycle sell them quite cheaply. a very big plus point for me is that they are not thick at all around the fingers so operating buttons and brakes are totally fine. the only downside i can think of it's that the neoprene cuffs get quite cold and uncomfortable if you take the gloves off mid ride and have to put them back on (they will be wet and cold until you warm up again in 10-15mins)
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

StanK

by StanK

mcfarton wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:35 am
Try putting a pair of latex disposable gloves on under the gloves you already have. It might surprise you how much warmer you are. It can actually make your hands sweaty...
Of course it will be sweaty - in no time. Terrible idea :mrgreen:
I don't need "warm" hands (fingers), I just need that after 30km (1 hour), there is no numbness in the fingers.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

The latex gloves trick will help keep your hands warmer. It operates under similar principles as a wetsuit where while there is water against the skin, your body is able to warm it and since they are windproof, it has a microclimate under the gloves. Since it costs next to nothing it could be worth a shot to try on one ride and see how it does.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

StanK

by StanK

WorkonSunday wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:17 am
... Northwave Active Gel Gloves ... I was so impressed with them ...
Last night I placed order. Some Northwave, RH+, Shimano and mentioned SealSkinz. I hope one of them would fully pass indoor test. But, it won't be first time if I return it all :mrgreen:
As for outdoor, and especially on the bike... I can only crossed my fingers.

So, thanks everyone who participated in the topic. Vote is closed :)

andreas

by andreas

The Sealskinz look like underkill for 0°C cycling to me, but I hope they work for you. Looks similar to the Defeet Wool gloves I use at around 10 degrees.

StanK

by StanK

Well, everyone (still) can named their lovely "overkill" gloves for 0°C. I’d love to hear about some of them, because I can return everything I’ve already ordered anyway, and buy something else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

andreas wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:09 pm
The Sealskinz look like underkill for 0°C cycling to me, but I hope they work for you. Looks similar to the Defeet Wool gloves I use at around 10 degrees.
I love the Defeet Wool Duragloves as well, they might be my favorite cool weather cycling glove, but like you I find them good to about 8*C.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg