Replica bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mgrl

by mgrl

Cemmac wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:03 pm
i hear the comparisson with original is really good. I don't need subjective opinions, cause not helping.
https://youtu.be/cZnPY0hMs_8

Objective opinion: the knockoff version is dangerous to ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Cemmac wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:48 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:23 pm
- in fact it's not a replica at all but of forgery. Not only do I think buying a fogery frame is morally wrong and ethicly wrong, it's probably also illegal.
I totally agree but on the other side, when you see production price tag of asian companies and their price tag of resellers which is calculated around 10x times the original price and more just for frame., morally, ethicly, illegal...no, it is just capitalism world.
It's hard not to argue that the prices bike companies are charging for frame (and other components) is wildly excessive. In fact cycling gear and clothing are all marked up excessively. Sure some of that is R&D but I can't help but think the profit margins are extreme.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Mocs123

by Mocs123

One other potential concern with these fakes is down the road they often get sold as the original. At least if you buy one, you know it's a fake, but often times when it gets time to sell they get sold as the real deal (not saying you would but others would). A friend in my club bought a used saddle from a local bicycle swap - It was a Selle Italia but when he showed it to me it had a made in Tiawan sticker on the bottom and I'm pretty sure Selle Italia wasn't making saddles in Tiawan. Now, he still uses it and it's a decent saddle even if it's a fake, but he didn't buy it as a fake, heck the guy he bought it from might not have even known it was fake.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Maddie

by Maddie

Are we really discussing replicas? Man, just get an open mould frame if you want to save money. Availability is usually pretty good compared to branded bikes.There will always be a market for these replicas as long as people buy them. Hard to believe an LBS is supporting this.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I didn't even know there were replicas of the big brands, regarding frames.

One of my rider buddies seems to have a fake helmet of a certain popular make. I haven't dared to tell him, he would probably get upset. But that's what can happen when you get these kind of ridiculous prices in the cycling world. People resort to this just to keep up with their friends.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Cemmac wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:03 pm
I don't need subjective opinions, cause not helping.
Then don't ask. :roll:

manystyles

by manystyles

Cemmac wrote:I suspect i would get a reject opinions from here. Why those eu stores sells forgery frames, answer is more than simple. Because people buying them and they succesfully ride them, there is also aspect that stocks are empty everywhere till summer. You get at least 2years and over warranty for these frames and as i hear the comparisson with original is really good. I don't need subjective opinions, cause not helping. I also don't like Chinese competition in economy, but currently there is original or forgery both probably chinese, this also include taiwan factories.
In your OP, you’re looking for assurance that these frames are safe to ride, correct? Then you kind of reassured yourself with this reply.

My assumption is it will be difficult to get experience from a rider on this forum for Frame A, and assume that would be the same case for Frame B. Do all these knock-off frames comes from the same factory? Probably not, right? So if that’s the case, you can’t do an apples to apples comparison. Which is what you’re asking for.

If your other ask is just to find A bike/frame to ride, others have suggested you get an open mold frame.

Mark up on brand name frames. Yes, they are expensive, but like you mentioned, you want A bike to ride? It doesn’t need to be high-end? Big brands have lower tier frame sets, which are just fine. Still think market up is too high? Well it’s high because everyone that works for Specialized, Trek, etc needs to get paid? It doesn’t just come down to R&D and materials.

At the end of the day, the people who are selling these knock offs don’t have any sort of accountability, if something were to go wrong, or fail. That’s ONE of the things you’re paying for when buying a brand name bike. That’s why that LBS is trying to convince you that these knock-offs are OK to ride, because there is no processes or people to assure you they are safe.

The ironic thing is, people complain about the costs, but want the knock off. The brand has done a great job of marketing the frame and their name, that it now has imitators, which we all know is the greatest form of flattery.

One last note about the LBS. Are they having a hard time keeping the doors open, because they don’t have bikes to sell? So are they resorting to selling knock offs? That’s a hard pill to swallow. If the brands who sell at this LBS hear of this, the consequences is that brand will no longer use that store as a dealer. Sounds risky.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk