Replica bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cemmac

by Cemmac

Hello,

As lack of avalible bikes this year, at least in our country. Our lbs offered me, if i want i coud get quality replica bike. I have option to get Chinarello F12 or new F frame or possibly Sworks SL7. He offered me also 2year warranty on frame and whole package and get a word that bikes are good quality.

Does anyone has experience with that kinds of bike replicas and could confirm that they ride ok? My yearly stats is usually over 10k km, so i'm worried if quality of these replicas are good. I know it is important from which seller you buy, but generally looking.

Thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

manystyles

by manystyles

Why buy replica? If you’re going to buy a carbon frame that’s affordable, why not try something like Carbonda? http://www.carbonda.com

Thesis bikes uses them as a manufacturer.

Also, would you consider the 2nd market? Buy from a reputable seller, maybe get a good deal. Sounds like a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cemmac

by Cemmac

I belive this is also China production, not problem. My local bike store dealer offer me bike from his reputation dealer with t1000 carbon, as i understand and he arrange all imports and shipping to Europe. Really don't care about brand which is written on, just want a normal bike, which i cannot get in stores in EU now, or at least in the next 6months not.

AJS914

by AJS914

Why can't you just order it yourself?

The Yoeleo frames look pretty good. I assume their TUV certifications and testing videos are legit.

https://www.yoeleobike.com/collections/ ... road-frame

stevesbike

by stevesbike

if you're talking about a counterfeit frame with brand decals etc., I'd stay away from them. They are of notoriously bad quality, and I'm not sure how a LBS could even sell them. If you're talking about an open mold 'generic' frame, then there are lots of options though personally I'd scour the second hand market closely for a gently used bike. I've done this with success a number of times.

Alfus

by Alfus

Cemmac wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:30 am
I belive this is also China production, not problem. My local bike store dealer offer me bike from his reputation dealer with t1000 carbon, as i understand and he arrange all imports and shipping to Europe. Really don't care about brand which is written on, just want a normal bike, which i cannot get in stores in EU now, or at least in the next 6months not.
If they offer you a complete bike made of T1000, they are lying you.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Cemmac wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:30 am
I belive this is also China production, not problem.
It is problem. Branded or open mold Chinese frames still come from companies who have a vested interest in ensuring the quality of their product. Eg. DengFu frames sell because they are known to be cheap and decent. Forgeries do not. A fake SL7 sells because it's pretending to be an SL7, you don't even know what brand or factory is behind it. It doesn't matter to the company making it if it's safe, functional or even stuffed with papier-mâché.

Also if a local dealer is offering to source you a forgery and arrange everything he is about to absolutely gouge you on the price, IMO. So you'll end up with an ultra cheap knock off frame with no reliable QC for an actually not very cheap price.

cberg

by cberg

Depending on where you live buying/selling replica frames like fake Pinarellos is illegal. I wouldnt do it.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

May I ask which European country you live in? LBS offering counterfeit frames is something I can't even believe to be real. Also the EU has ruled the importation of counterfeit products to be prohibited.

I would stay far away from that kind of shop who is importing counterfeit products. Probably even to tell the authorities about them as I don't have any respect for these sellers. How can you be even 100% sure that you are buying genuine carbon components from this type of LBS?

kode54

by kode54

How about a SEKA Exceed RDC?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Cemmac

by Cemmac

I suspect i would get a reject opinions from here. Why those eu stores sells forgery frames, answer is more than simple. Because people buying them and they succesfully ride them, there is also aspect that stocks are empty everywhere till summer. You get at least 2years and over warranty for these frames and as i hear the comparisson with original is really good. I don't need subjective opinions, cause not helping. I also don't like Chinese competition in economy, but currently there is original or forgery both probably chinese, this also include taiwan factories.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Cemmac wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:03 pm
I suspect i would get a reject opinions from here. Why those eu stores sells forgery frames, answer is more than simple. Because people buying them and they succesfully ride them, there is also aspect that stocks are empty everywhere till summer. You get at least 2years and over warranty for these frames and as i hear the comparisson with original is really good. I don't need subjective opinions, cause not helping. I also don't like Chinese competition in economy, but currently there is original or forgery both probably chinese, this also include taiwan factories.
Sounds like you're just looking for someone to tell you it's a fantastic idea.

More than likely, selling a copy is illegal and that practice alone would steer me far away from that shop. There are plenty of known open mold frames that are easy enough to come by without infringing on the property of big name manufacturers.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I would have no problem buying an open mold frame or a frame make by one of the big chineese carbon bike factories but I wouldn't buy a "replica" frame - in fact it's not a replica at all but of forgery. Not only do I think buying a fogery frame is morally wrong and ethicly wrong, it's probably also illegal. Anf of course the company that makes them is already breaking the law so they have no concern if they sell you a bike with a flaw that has the fork break when you hit a pothole. Unlike something like a bottle cage, a bike frame failure could have catastraphic results. Do I think a major failure is likely? No, but I'm not sure these companies selling black market goods have much of a QC program either.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Cemmac

by Cemmac

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:23 pm
- in fact it's not a replica at all but of forgery. Not only do I think buying a fogery frame is morally wrong and ethicly wrong, it's probably also illegal.
I totally agree but on the other side, when you see production price tag of asian companies and their price tag of resellers which is calculated around 10x times the original price and more just for frame., morally, ethicly, illegal...no, it is just capitalism world.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

If the production cost vs selling price is an issue, how about Time alpe d huez 01 or 21? European made frames for 3700 or 2500 €, good quality and delivery time should be reasonable (I think a couple of months).

Didn't want to pay 4-5k € for a chinese frame so that's why I bought my 01 rim frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com