Best ~30mm road tubeless for 2022? Any news from Vittoria?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aeo

by Aeo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:06 pm
gorkypl wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:55 pm
Aeo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 am
Goodyear Eagle F1
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 1-tubeless

We had high hopes the Goodyear Eagle F1 would be something special, but the reality is it doesn't stand a chance against the competition in our tests. Rolling resistance is quite high, tread puncture resistance slightly below the all-round average, weight isn't spectacular, tread width is also borderline for an all-round tire. The good parts are that it is very easy to inflate, holds air well, and the sidewalls are quite tough.

So far it seems it's still Vittoria vs Continental.
Mavic Yksions might be too narrow I think - at 75kg, I am not a featherweight, and I don't want to run over 6 bar for tubeless.

Sidewall protection is key to me since tread punctures are easier to seal. The Goodyears, for some reason, have a great ride feel as well. And yeah, they hold air like no other… <2psi lost in a week. That’s amazing.
Couldn't find Vittoria Corsa Control 30mm in stock and switched to the Goodyears in 30mm. The ride feel is surprisingly smooth.

No idea if the test for the 25mm version of the tyre can be directly applied to the 30mm version.

A 30mm road tyre is a compromise already in my mind, hard to find a true "best" tyre in this category.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

jlok

by jlok

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:58 pm
I am in the same boat - prefer Vittoria but waiting to see what is coming. I am obsessive about grip and I believe Vittoria is the leader here. When you combine the superior grip with a casing that is more supple than most, it becomes a tire that can't be beat for my needs. My two summer bikes are on Vittoria clinchers and at least one will be on tubeless by the Spring. I would love to take advantage of the superior speed of the Continental 5000 range. but then you hear the odd person who isn't thrilled with the grip or ride quality. So it will probably be Vittoria TLR.

The Tubeless tires that I have been happiest with are Mavic Yksion Prio UST 28mm. The measure 30mm on 21 internal rims. The tread compound is the 11Storm compound from Hutchinson. Very good traction and a smooth ride for a vulcanized tire. Tested pretty fast on BRR. They are a race tire so they are vulnerable glass cuts. That said, I have been using them for a winter tire and have had incredible luck with them. Sealant done the job a few times, and I am deep into my second winter on them and they look like they could go another season. Very hard to find though.
I love Corsa Control for the grip, but recently I have found another very grippy tire. It's Maxxis High Road (2021 edition, some websites may call it New High Road). It is the most grippy vulcanized clincher I have tried, and it's inexpensive.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:15 am

I love Corsa Control for the grip, but recently I have found another very grippy tire. It's Maxxis High Road (2021 edition, some websites may call it New High Road). It is the most grippy vulcanized clincher I have tried, and it's inexpensive.

Maxxis dirt tires are awesome. I've been trying to find a good source for the new High Road or the SL tubeless, but the US distribution is bad.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

jlok wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
I am in the same boat - prefer Vittoria but waiting to see what is coming. I am obsessive about grip and I believe Vittoria is the leader here. When you combine the superior grip with a casing that is more supple than most, it becomes a tire that can't be beat for my needs. My two summer bikes are on Vittoria clinchers and at least one will be on tubeless by the Spring. I would love to take advantage of the superior speed of the Continental 5000 range. but then you hear the odd person who isn't thrilled with the grip or ride quality. So it will probably be Vittoria TLR.

The Tubeless tires that I have been happiest with are Mavic Yksion Prio UST 28mm. The measure 30mm on 21 internal rims. The tread compound is the 11Storm compound from Hutchinson. Very good traction and a smooth ride for a vulcanized tire. Tested pretty fast on BRR. They are a race tire so they are vulnerable glass cuts. That said, I have been using them for a winter tire and have had incredible luck with them. Sealant done the job a few times, and I am deep into my second winter on them and they look like they could go another season. Very hard to find though.
The new high roads have narrow tread width, not very nice for cornerning grip especially on modern wide rims.

jlok

by jlok

MagicShite wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 am
jlok wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:

The new high roads have narrow tread width, not very nice for cornerning grip especially on modern wide rims.
Yea, in theory yes, but in reality it's good fit to my WR50 with 25mm internal width. Loads of cornering confidence. Didn't find the tread too narrow for fairly aggressive cornering.
Last edited by jlok on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ChrisFrance73

by ChrisFrance73

Hello,

bygorkypl» Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:55 PM
Thanks, I haven't even heard of it. But they are not tubeless...
FMB Cobbles tires are available in a Tubeless Ready version (personally, I use the Tube Type model, with a latex inner tube).

byRDY » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:16 PM
They look beautiful. How do you rate the puncture protection?
A few years ago, when riders used tubulars, many major teams equipped themselves with FMB tubulars for the "Tour des Flandres" and "Paris-Roubaix" races (often making them up), despite the contracts that united these teams with other manufacturers : FMB tubulars were mounted on the winners' bikes several times. Likewise, in cyclo-cross, many good riders were equipped with FMB tubulars. As such, FMB products have proven their resistance to punctures (in addition to their quality of grip, of comfort and performance).

Soprtively,
Factor One V2 Rim brake + Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 + Campagnolo Bora WTO 2WF 60

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ChrisFrance73 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:14 am
Hello,

bygorkypl» Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:55 PM
Thanks, I haven't even heard of it. But they are not tubeless...
FMB Cobbles tires are available in a Tubeless Ready version (personally, I use the Tube Type model, with a latex inner tube).

byRDY » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:16 PM
They look beautiful. How do you rate the puncture protection?
A few years ago, when riders used tubulars, many major teams equipped themselves with FMB tubulars for the "Tour des Flandres" and "Paris-Roubaix" races (often making them up), despite the contracts that united these teams with other manufacturers : FMB tubulars were mounted on the winners' bikes several times. Likewise, in cyclo-cross, many good riders were equipped with FMB tubulars. As such, FMB products have proven their resistance to punctures (in addition to their quality of grip, of comfort and performance).

Soprtively,

Therese tires do not feature a protective strip near the bead to prevent carbon rims from cutting into the casing. I would be very weary of using FMB's tubeless offerings. As of right now the only "open tubular" tubeless tires I personally consider safe to use in my riding conditions are the Challenge Handmade TLR offerings and the Vittoria Corsa line.

ChrisFrance73

by ChrisFrance73

byTobin hates you» Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:53 AM:
Therese tires do not feature a protective strip near the bead to prevent carbon rims from cutting into the casing. I would be very weary of using FMB's tubeless offerings. As of right now the only "open tubular" tubeless tires I personally consider safe to use in my riding conditions are the Challenge Handmade TLR offerings and the Vittoria Corsa line.

The risk of damaging the tire beads exists with carbon rims with sharp edges, such as ENVE rims. In this case, FMB markets protective adhesive tape (as far as I am concerned, with Campagnolo Bora WTO rims, this protection is not useful, and I do not apply it).
Factor One V2 Rim brake + Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 + Campagnolo Bora WTO 2WF 60

jlok

by jlok

My Bora WTO 45 db damaged the older Veloflex non SPS clincher (back then the non SPS tires were on heavy discount thats why i tried...). I think the problem is real.

tomycs

by tomycs

Best as allrounder, for me is Pirelli PZero Velo Race TLR slightly ahead of the Continental 5k, but would recommend both. Pirelli were easier to mount, slightly cheaper and if there is a difference in speed on the road, I don't really see it. At the moment I also trust the Pirelli a little bit more for puncture protection but that may be random.

jlok

by jlok

Back to Vittoria. I can't find any Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR in major online stores. Is the "3.0" incoming 2022 TdF?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:45 am
Back to Vittoria. I can't find any Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR in major online stores. Is the "3.0" incoming 2022 TdF?

Ongoing pandemic suckiness. Corsa Speeds have been backordered for months.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Big Vittoria shipment should be dropping in the UK early next month.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Beancouter

by Beancouter

A vote from me for Enve; eye wateringly expensive (but it is Enve!), I find them compliant and confident on most road surfaces (compared to Conti). I have got both 29mm (275g) and 31mm (285g); they mount nicely and have proved to be pretty durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com