Best ~30mm road tubeless for 2022? Any news from Vittoria?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gorkypl

by gorkypl

What is the current consensus? I was about to pull the trigger on Vittoria Corsas TLR, but read that they are now lagging behind others, and a new version should be released soon - is that correct?

What are other best options for supple training tyres? Pirelli P Zero probably, new GP5000s - anything else worth mentioning that can provide 30mm real width on 19mm rims?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Singular

by Singular

It's perhaps on the far end of training tires (it depends on your reference), but my 28mm Pirelli Cinturato Velo are 30mm on my 18mm rims after a bit of stretching.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I know GP5000's don't have a reputation as being perticularly supple, but the new 5000S-TR is supposed to be moreso and should be one of the best all around tire on the market today. It's at least worth a look.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Singular wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 pm
It's perhaps on the far end of training tires (it depends on your reference), but my 28mm Pirelli Cinturato Velo are 30mm on my 18mm rims after a bit of stretching.
Yeah, I even had them for a while, but they were probably the least supple tires I have ever ridden. Took them off after a month and sold straight away - the pucture resistance was great though.
Mocs123 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:54 pm
I know GP5000's don't have a reputation as being perticularly supple, but the new 5000S-TR is supposed to be moreso and should be one of the best all around tire on the market today. It's at least worth a look.

This is what I heard too, and they are high on my list.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

polpy

by polpy

Still love my pro one in 30mm (2021 model)

Singular

by Singular

gorkypl wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:21 pm
Singular wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 pm
Yeah, I even had them for a while, but they were probably the least supple tires I have ever ridden. Took them off after a month and sold straight away - the pucture resistance was great though.
You can't have all that rubber without a compromise, I'm afraid...

I'm surprised how well it rides (grip and speed) in relation to the really muted feel, thick rubber and superior puncture resistance. The attributes makes one believe that it should be an absolute pig, but it is not. Or...not as much much as one would think. Maybe just a piglet. :)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I am in the same boat - prefer Vittoria but waiting to see what is coming. I am obsessive about grip and I believe Vittoria is the leader here. When you combine the superior grip with a casing that is more supple than most, it becomes a tire that can't be beat for my needs. My two summer bikes are on Vittoria clinchers and at least one will be on tubeless by the Spring. I would love to take advantage of the superior speed of the Continental 5000 range. but then you hear the odd person who isn't thrilled with the grip or ride quality. So it will probably be Vittoria TLR.

The Tubeless tires that I have been happiest with are Mavic Yksion Prio UST 28mm. The measure 30mm on 21 internal rims. The tread compound is the 11Storm compound from Hutchinson. Very good traction and a smooth ride for a vulcanized tire. Tested pretty fast on BRR. They are a race tire so they are vulnerable glass cuts. That said, I have been using them for a winter tire and have had incredible luck with them. Sealant done the job a few times, and I am deep into my second winter on them and they look like they could go another season. Very hard to find though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ChrisFrance73

by ChrisFrance73

Factor One V2 Rim brake Crimson red, ChrisFrance73, 2022-01.jpg
Hello,
As far as I am concerned, for winter training, I am very happy with the FMB Cobbles tires (https://fm-boyaux.cc/fr/15-open-tubulars): these are handmade tires (in France), which are of very high quality (comfortable, good performance, and resistant to punctures). These are tube-type tires that I use with latex inner tubes. On my Campagnolo Bora WTO 2WF Rim brake rims (19mm internal width), they have a 30.4mm section.
Sportingly,
Factor One V2 Rim brake + Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 + Campagnolo Bora WTO 2WF 60

Aeo

by Aeo

Goodyear Eagle F1
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

gorkypl

by gorkypl

ChrisFrance73 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm
As far as I am concerned, for winter training, I am very happy with the FMB Cobbles tires (https://fm-boyaux.cc/fr/15-open-tubulars): these are handmade tires (in France), which are of very high quality (comfortable, good performance, and resistant to punctures). These are tube-type tires that I use with latex inner tubes.
Thanks, I have not heard of these even. They are not tubeless though...
Aeo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 am
Goodyear Eagle F1
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 1-tubeless

We had high hopes the Goodyear Eagle F1 would be something special, but the reality is it doesn't stand a chance against the competition in our tests. Rolling resistance is quite high, tread puncture resistance slightly below the all-round average, weight isn't spectacular, tread width is also borderline for an all-round tire. The good parts are that it is very easy to inflate, holds air well, and the sidewalls are quite tough.

So far it seems it's still Vittoria vs Continental.
Mavic Yksions might be too narrow I think - at 75kg, I am not a featherweight, and I don't want to run over 6 bar for tubeless.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gorkypl wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:55 pm
ChrisFrance73 wrote:
As far as I am concerned, for winter training, I am very happy with the FMB Cobbles tires (https://fm-boyaux.cc/fr/15-open-tubulars): these are handmade tires (in France), which are of very high quality (comfortable, good performance, and resistant to punctures). These are tube-type tires that I use with latex inner tubes.
Aeo wrote:
Goodyear Eagle F1

We had high hopes the Goodyear Eagle F1 would be something special, but the reality is it doesn't stand a chance against the competition in our tests. Rolling resistance is quite high, tread puncture resistance slightly below the all-round average, weight isn't spectacular, tread width is also borderline for an all-round tire. The good parts are that it is very easy to inflate, holds air well, and the sidewalls are quite tough.

Mavic Yksions might be too narrow I think - at 75kg, I am not a featherweight, and I don't want to run over 6 bar for tubeless.

Sidewall protection is key to me since tread punctures are easier to seal. The Goodyears, for some reason, have a great ride feel as well. And yeah, they hold air like no other… <2psi lost in a week. That’s amazing.

Marin

by Marin

Pro One tanwall

milanv

by milanv

gorkypl wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:55 pm
ChrisFrance73 wrote:
Aeo wrote:
Goodyear Eagle F1

And Schwalbe Pro One, Pirelli P Zero Race...

RDY

by RDY

ChrisFrance73 wrote:
Factor One V2 Rim brake Crimson red, ChrisFrance73, 2022-01.jpgHello,
As far as I am concerned, for winter training, I am very happy with the FMB Cobbles tires (https://fm-boyaux.cc/fr/15-open-tubulars): these are handmade tires (in France), which are of very high quality (comfortable, good performance, and resistant to punctures). These are tube-type tires that I use with latex inner tubes. On my Campagnolo Bora WTO 2WF Rim brake rims (19mm internal width), they have a 30.4mm section.
Sportingly,
They look nice.

How would you rate puncture protection?

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

The Specialized Turbo RapidAir is available in 30mm, and in my experience excellent tires that seem to be very overlooked here. BRR charts rates this as the highest grip tubeless tire, while still being one of the fastest. Installation is super easy, and air retention is great. The only apparent negative of the tire is it's relatively thin tread thickness at 2.2mm for an "all-around tire", however the new Conti 5kS TR is virtually the same @ 2.3mm thick.

I had the 5k TLs previously, but never liked their grip, handling or road feel. I replaced the Conti's with Vittoria Corsa G2 TLRs which have great grip and feel, but were a pain to install, poor air retention, and felt just a bit "draggy". The Spec Turbos are a great on all these fronts while practically matching the 5k's rolling resistance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com