Specialized Aethos expert 2021 vs Trek Emonda SL7 2022

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djokke

by djokke

Hello,

I'm doubting between a Specialized Aethos expert 2021 and a Trek Emonda SL7 2022.
They are both climbing bikes.
I have always ridden titanium frames. (Lynskey R230; Lynskey Sportive, No22 great divide disc)
I ride around 11 000km/year. Once a year I go to France for a cycling holiday in the mountains.
I do mostly club rides in the weekend and in the evening a solo ride.
I'm have no intentions to do races with this bike.
I know that the Aethos is Ultegra DI2 11 speed and the Domane SL7 is Ultegra DI2 12 speed.
But honestly it doesn't bother me. I already have an 11 speed disc brake bike, so it will be easier to change wheels.

Cables on the specialized are not all internal; that doesn't bother me.
I prefer to have a carbon bike with standard parts. (bottom bracket, normal round seat post,...)

Which bike would you choose?

Specialized Aethos
I can get the Aethos 2021 version with Ultegra DI2 11 speed.
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/aetho ... 502-187065
+ BSA bracket, no creaking issues,...
+ direct available
+ normal round seatpost and external seatpost collar
- cables are not fully internal
- 11 speed?
- I will have to upgrade the DT swiss R470 wheels

Trek Emonda SL7
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... blue_black
+ 12 speed
+ T47 bracket
+ cables all internal
- Seatpost mount ok? will this give issues?
- delivery time?

Regards,
Johan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I would go with the Aethos, due to it being lighter, has standard seat post / bar / stem and doesn't have full internal cable routing.

For lightweight climbing bike the Emonda SL is not particularly light weight.

the jackel

by the jackel

There is a significant price difference so as long as that isn't an issue I'd also go for the Aethos. I've not ridden it but it appears to be universally loved. 12sp Vs 11sp is pretty much a none issue unless you like the latest and greatest.

It will definitely be lighter and by upgrading the wheels you will get something much better than the Bonty wheels on the Trek.

djokke

by djokke

Price is not an issue.
The Aethos Expert 2021 is even 300 EUR cheaper then the Trek Emonda SL 7 2022...

robeambro

by robeambro

Having owned both (SLR and S-Works), I wouldn't say there's a dramatic difference between the two frames. I would say the Aethos is a bit more compliant at the rear, but they're both incredibly fun and I wouldn't be upset with either.

I haven't done a full blast or very long ride on the Aethos just yet since it's winter, so my opinion may change somewhat, but I can safely say that neither is a slouch.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Emonda for the looks and more relaxed position
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

rolfo

by rolfo

djokke wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:49 am
Hello,

I'm doubting between a Specialized Aethos expert 2021 and a Trek Emonda SL7 2022.
They are both climbing bikes.
I have always ridden titanium frames. (Lynskey R230; Lynskey Sportive, No22 great divide disc)
I ride around 11 000km/year. Once a year I go to France for a cycling holiday in the mountains.
I do mostly club rides in the weekend and in the evening a solo ride.
I'm have no intentions to do races with this bike.
I know that the Aethos is Ultegra DI2 11 speed and the Domane SL7 is Ultegra DI2 12 speed.
But honestly it doesn't bother me. I already have an 11 speed disc brake bike, so it will be easier to change wheels.

Cables on the specialized are not all internal; that doesn't bother me.
I prefer to have a carbon bike with standard parts. (bottom bracket, normal round seat post,...)

Which bike would you choose?

Specialized Aethos
I can get the Aethos 2021 version with Ultegra DI2 11 speed.
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/aetho ... 502-187065
+ BSA bracket, no creaking issues,...
+ direct available
+ normal round seatpost and external seatpost collar
- cables are not fully internal
- 11 speed?
- I will have to upgrade the DT swiss R470 wheels

Trek Emonda SL7
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... blue_black
+ 12 speed
+ T47 bracket
+ cables all internal
- Seatpost mount ok? will this give issues?
- delivery time?

Regards,
Johan
And what frameset did you go for? And How does it ride compareed to the No22 ;-)?

frostorama

by frostorama

I was facing a very similar choice last year, in the end I went with the Aethos Expert. I upgraded to the Alpinist SL cockpit and Alpinist CLX wheels. The ease of maintenance (threaded BB, exposed hoses/cables, standard seatpost have been a real bonus, espacially when flying with the bike. Having recently spent a week in Mallorca with my Aethos I am even more pleased about my purchase. All day comfort, stiff climbing platform and yet sublime downhill.

I also ride chaingangs, long group rides and race on the Aethos, it has never let me down and I don't miss my previous aero bike. In absolute aero terms it is 10 seconds slower over a flat 16km time trial, but elsewhere the added comfort and predictable handling make up for any aero losses (which are tiny at cat 3/4 level).

jfranci3

by jfranci3

NM

robeambro

by robeambro

frostorama wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:04 pm
I was facing a very similar choice last year, in the end I went with the Aethos Expert. I upgraded to the Alpinist SL cockpit and Alpinist CLX wheels. The ease of maintenance (threaded BB, exposed hoses/cables, standard seatpost have been a real bonus, espacially when flying with the bike. Having recently spent a week in Mallorca with my Aethos I am even more pleased about my purchase. All day comfort, stiff climbing platform and yet sublime downhill.

I also ride chaingangs, long group rides and race on the Aethos, it has never let me down and I don't miss my previous aero bike. In absolute aero terms it is 10 seconds slower over a flat 16km time trial, but elsewhere the added comfort and predictable handling make up for any aero losses (which are tiny at cat 3/4 level).
Can I ask you about the "10 seconds slower over a flat 16km time trial" part? I am an already happy Aethos owner and I am curious to know whether this was something that you have measured / estimated and how. I'll take any confirmation I can that the real life aero losses from the frame alone are smaller than what wind tunnel testing would indicate. :lol:

frostorama

by frostorama

Riding the same flat 16km TT course in near identicle weather conditions, same level of fitness on both rides (1 week apart). Both bikes equiped with a power meter and both rides ridden to the same power and heart rate. Aero bike was a Cervelo S3 (rim brake) with Zipp 302 wheels and aero handlebar, Aethos with Alpinist CLX wheels. My riding position on both rides was 'aero-hoods' and I was wearing the same bibshorts and aero jersey with a Kask Protone helmet for both rides.

Hope that helps!

robeambro

by robeambro

frostorama wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:03 pm
Riding the same flat 16km TT course in near identicle weather conditions, same level of fitness on both rides (1 week apart). Both bikes equiped with a power meter and both rides ridden to the same power and heart rate. Aero bike was a Cervelo S3 (rim brake) with Zipp 302 wheels and aero handlebar, Aethos with Alpinist CLX wheels. My riding position on both rides was 'aero-hoods' and I was wearing the same bibshorts and aero jersey with a Kask Protone helmet for both rides.

Hope that helps!
Thank you!

frostorama

by frostorama

In response to @rolfo here are a couple of pictures of my Aethos, hopefully to give you an indication of saddle height (730mm) on a 54cm frame.
bNmJMTkZtwSYrAHBTCxhBa_Vd6mR3iaR-H0JyuLgizM-2048x1536.jpg
-lwRBJw-oacjIru5_GwnnaIUiYFP347eOkvGzEaufrc-2048x1365.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com