C bear not spinning smooth

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ollaay

by Ollaay

Hi all,

Just had a new C bear PF30BB installed and just span the crank freely without any weight, only spins for a max of 2/3 seconds however hard I spin - whereas I've seen videos of them spinning much longer. Not ultra silent when spinning, should they be?

Has mine been installed incorrectly ?

benhama

by benhama

I've not long installed a C-Bear BB90 GXP on my Trek Domane. It spins fine and feels really smooth. I went for the cyclocross version with the thicker grease. I am sure as I clock up the miles that it will spin even better. My recommendation will be to give it time. Yours sounds fine. Let it bed it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

As long as you can turn the crank with little to no resistance then its fine. Spin tests are kinda stupid because a wel sealed bottom braked is a lot more important to me than one that spins forever

micky

by micky

Years ago I had a C Bear BB on a bike and yes it felt a little "thick" and not spinning very smoothly without a chain but as said above, this kind of test isn't really meaning much.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

+1

Spin tests usually try to influence sales. I've never seen a crank spin that well because they are just not balanced well.

kervelo

by kervelo

Agree with the previous comments. However, I believe it is also possible to destroy the bearings while pressing the cups to the frame.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

sounds like frame misalignment/bearing installation issues more than problem with bearings them selves. have you tried pull out the crank and just use your finger to feel if the bearing is running smoothly without uneven resistance?
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

wilwil

by wilwil

Sometimes a bearing that feels super smooth doesnt feel so good after its pressed in.

RNAV

by RNAV

What crank? Is it possible there's too much preload?

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Realistically, 2-3 seconds of free spinning isn't bad. And it will free up more as it's broken in.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com