Yoeleo R11 new project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sin77

by sin77

Looking to build a new disc bike under 7.5kg.

Already have:
Frame + handlebar + seatpost
Old sram red etap rim brake version
Pinarello MOST saddle
LOOK pedals

Looking for:
Wheels, bb, rotors and cable pull calipers.

Wheels will likely be winspace hyper wheels
The other items I have no idea what to get. Any recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

Juin Tech GT-F calipers. SRAM Centerline X or XR rotors.

BB will depend on crank you have.

jch3n

by jch3n

+1 to Juin Tech GT-F for brakes. That being said....I'm not really sure how well any cable actuated brake would do in a fully integrated/internal frame. You (ideally) should use compressionless brake housing, which might be pretty hard to run through the handlebar/stem/headtube area. Hopefully someone else with direct experience can chime in.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

It works just fine. You just have to be careful with cable length.

sin77

by sin77

bobones wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:46 am
Juin Tech GT-F calipers. SRAM Centerline X or XR rotors.

BB will depend on crank you have.
I was recommended TRP Sypre SL. How does it compare with Juin Tech which I have not heard this brand before?

For BB, I'm using sram red etap crankset gxp

jch3n

by jch3n

TRP Spyres are fully mechanical calipers. Juin Tech is a hybrid mechanical and hydraulic caliper. The cable pulls an actuating arm that pushes a hydraulic piston. Juin Tech GT-F is also a quad piston brake which, in addition to the hydraulics, makes it a more powerful brake than Spyres.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Another +1 on the Juin Tech GT-F's callipers: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000923393388.html?

Rotors I would recommend the Galfer centre lock options: https://galfer.eu/bike/products/brake-d ... -system&s=

If you're looking for deep section, light weight wheels I would recommend FarSports Gravel 50mm rims on Carbon-Ti hubs: https://www.wheelsfar.com/gravel-wheels ... p0097.html

sin77

by sin77

Do you guys use ceramic BB? Is it really smoother? Looking for a lightweight bb but not overly expensive (exceeding $200)

bobones

by bobones

I would just use an inexpensive standard pressfit SRAM GXP BB or a heavier thread fit one from Wheels Manufacturing or Token if you're worried about creaking. Ceramic bearings are a waste of money IMO.

The potential flaw in your plan is the brake cable routing as the bends may be too tight if it's fully integrated.

sin77

by sin77

May I ask...

If retaining old etap can achieve 7.5kg bike
If using rival axs can achieve 8.5kg bike

Which one should I go for?

bobones

by bobones

sin77 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:11 am
May I ask...

I thought about building a disc bike with Juin Tech GTs and eTap rim group, but finding a frameset that had straight cable runs for the Juin Techs was not as easy as I thought and I ended up building a TCR SL rim bike @ 6.5kg instead. If you already have the fully integrated frameset then I think Rival is the way to go even at 8.5kg as the cable brakes may not work well at all. You could probably save a fair bit of weight just using the eTap crank with Praxis 12 speed rings over the Rival AXS one.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:34 am
sin77 wrote:
May I ask...

I thought about building a disc bike with Juin Tech GTs and eTap rim group, but finding a frameset that had straight cable runs for the Juin Techs was not as easy as I thought and I ended up building a TCR SL rim bike @ 6.5kg instead. If you already have the fully integrated frameset then I think Rival is the way to go even at 8.5kg as the cable brakes may not work well at all. You could probably save a fair bit of weight just using the eTap crank with Praxis 12 speed rings over the Rival AXS one.
I've posted this a few times but again, juin brakes work perfectly with internal routed cables and rim brakes shifters.
They may be a little more sensitive to cable length but it's only when you try and shove a few extra inches of cable into the frame without trimming them correctly.
So such speculation on this subject from people who haven't actually tried it.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:41 am
bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:34 am
sin77 wrote:
May I ask...

I've posted this a few times but again, juin brakes work perfectly with internal routed cables and rim brakes shifters.
They may be a little more sensitive to cable length but it's only when you try and shove a few extra inches of cable into the frame without trimming them correctly.

I should add, obviously I haven't tried every frame combination but the three I have built here just fine.

bobones

by bobones

That's fair enough. I haven't tried the Juin Tech's at all, but I was steered away from using them on integrated cable bikes on this post by an experienced user. Even the non-integrated Factor O2 was discouraged due to a kink in the routing where the cable enters the downtube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jch3n

by jch3n

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:41 am
I mean, I think tight cable bends are always a legitimate concern. I was hoping someone with actual experience would offer their input, so thank you.