How do you minimize tubeless tire runout when mounted?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD997

by CAAD997

What are people doing to minimize tubeless tire radial runout once mounted to the wheel?

I have used several different tubeless tire & rim combinations and I always have tire radial runout that is visible to the naked eye.

I have been using a mixture of Dawn dish soap & water to help install the various tires [because they were all difficult to mount], but should I be using something slicker? Silicone spray, other? Am I just bad at tire mounting??????

I have never taken the time to measure the radial runout, but I would say that it appears to be 3 to 6 mm peak-to-peak.

The current combination is DT Swiss GR1600 wheels [23mm inner width] with Continental GP5000 TL 700x32. The tires need to be replaced for spring so I have plenty of time to practice mounting & sealing to minimize radial runout. Most likely going to use GP5000 S TR 700x32.
Two wheelers rock!

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

did you get popping sound, because when I didn't hear that, the tire has indicator line around the rim and is recessed one spot although the tire is inflated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD997

by CAAD997

PoorCyclist wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:16 am
did you get popping sound, because when I didn't hear that, the tire has indicator line around the rim and is recessed one spot although the tire is inflated.
Yes, popping sounds occured.
Two wheelers rock!

MikeD

by MikeD

Sounds like your tires aren't perfectly round. I had some out of round Continentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

No noticeable runout on any of my tires. One of my 35mm Continental Terra Speeds has a sideways kink in it, but I can't feel it at all... it's just a visual annoyance.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

My Schwalbe ones don't run perfectly either.
Really annoyed me because I had a new wheelset and thought that was not true but yeah. It was the tires...

warthog101

by warthog101

Hutchinson Fusion5, Conti GP5KTL, Tufo Thundero, Speedero, Panaracer Gravel King SK.
Haven't noticed any runout.

Besenwagen

by Besenwagen

Maybe overinflating until the tire is evenly seated helps.
Of course you need to deflate afterwards ;-)

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Check the tires with tubes on none tubeless rims too.
Most tires have *some* runout.

And I've noticed it getting worse over the last few years, or that might just be me buying cheaper tires.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

CAAD997 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:06 am

I have never taken the time to measure the radial runout, but I would say that it appears to be 3 to 6 mm peak-to-peak.
That's crazy. If you're getting that on several different tyres then you're either not inflating them enough to seat the entire diameter of the bead, you're doing something else seriously wrong, or you're imagining a runout that doesn't actually exist.

I'd say either post video of it or just take them to an LBS to see what's happening.

Marin

by Marin

Not fully seated.

liam7020

by liam7020

Yep, 100% operator error at the mounting stage.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

The taping job on these rims is the problem. Have one set of tires which will not seat if cloth rim tape is installed, all same brand of tire.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Check the runout at the bead area. Usually, there is some type of seam at that area and if it is not seated, you will notice it. If both beads are seated AND there is a run out at the outer most diameter of the tire, then it's the tire.

3-6mm is a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Indeed, there has been operator error! I may be one of the worst tubeless tire mounters out there :).

I stopped by my LBS yesterday and they put my wheels on the truing stand. They confirmed that the wheels are straight, but the tire mounting was whicked wonky. They suggested:
1) removing the valve core
2) using a pistol grip blow gun to seat the tire, with compressor pressure set at 90 psi, as this is how they seat tubeless tires

Thus, that is what I will try next. I can inspect the rim tape when the tires are off as well.
Two wheelers rock!