What do you want to see from Campagnolo 2022-2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Campagnolo needs to re-establish themselves as an OEM supplier. The idea of boutique and catering to a small market is going to kill them off. They need revenue and profits from Chorus and lower lines to prop up R&D and spur innovation.

Right now to me they look like they are bleeding a slow death.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Cheers! wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 am
Campagnolo needs to re-establish themselves as an OEM supplier. The idea of boutique and catering to a small market is going to kill them off. They need revenue and profits from Chorus and lower lines to prop up R&D and spur innovation.

Right now to me they look like they are bleeding a slow death.
I get it but I just don't see how that is realistic. SRAM can build the same thing in China for dirt cheap. Yes, the prices of RED AXS and DA92000 are getting in the ballpark. Also, Campagnolo is a high-end reach brand whereas Shimano and SRAM are not. I really think Campy is best focusing on the high-end.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

usr

by usr

Cheers! wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 am
Even if they hardly break even: they need a place in that sector because a twentysomething on 105 won't age into a fiftysomething dentist on Superrecord, he will age into a fiftysomething on Dura-ace.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Campagnolo already used Romania for lower cost manufacturing. They can be competitive without having to resort to China by focusing on design for manufacturability and other cost saving measures at the beginning of establishing a components initial design.

Right now the time is ripe for them. Global shortages still on bike components. An increase in cycling interest. If they squander this I can see an investment firm buying up the campagnolo name and breaking it up and reducing its portfolio to just 1 or 2 things.

Look at what happened to Mavic.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

They certainly could ride it out and if their market dries up, trust me, they could sell the name for big bucks. Done right, the family can live comfortable for many generations.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I think people underestimate how well Campagnolo is doing or how in the black they are. Moving quickly has never been their style either, although I suspect the pipeline is loaded. The market(s) is complicated obviously & I hope their next rollouts benefit consumers - but while we want to see xyz I don't think there will be any major pivots beyond whatever bests SR in their eyes. Though we can still hope for a chromed out group ❤️
Just ride ..

robertbb

by robertbb

Butcher wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 am
They certainly could ride it out and if their market dries up, trust me, they could sell the name for big bucks. Done right, the family can live comfortable for many generations.
The familys' property holdings DWARF their bike component business. Generational (extreme) wealth is assured even if the company disappeared tomorrow.

Bregantium

by Bregantium

He can't rely on selling mechanical rim brake groupsets to old guys with beards and birkenstocks on custom metal frames. They need to make groupsets to sell to young guys with mass market carbon frames... but who interestingly also have beards and birkenstocks :lol:
Couldnt agree more. Would love to see Campy keeping mechanical and rim brake. But what they really need from a business perspective imho are
-> Ekar EPS
-> SR Groupsets including PM as standard so no P2max aftermarket needed.
-> improve or get rid of the junction box by going wireless

Despite being the smallest of the three brands Campy will sure feel the tailwind of people buying into +10k bikes often these days :D

xsnailx

by xsnailx

after my 2 sets of di7970 and 2 sets of sram red dies i will move to campa. sram only selling point for me was a weight but they are nowwhere near campa when it comes to feel and shifting precision. not to mention durability. I would likely have them introduce mechanical super record 13 speed with very low weight ;)

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I think 13 speed road is a given, as new road wheels come with N3W freehub.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Pierre86

by Pierre86

raggedtrousers wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:00 pm
5. Introduce a 12sp quick link for road. Maybe niche, but not having one is a PITA.
The SRAM powerlock works, non axs/mtb 12 speed
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

smokva

by smokva

What I want to see:
1. Super Record 13 speed EPS disc
2. Record 13 speeed mechanical disc and rim
3. Triple/double mechanical rim brake silver polished groupset (long shot)
4. Mechanical disc brake or cable actuated hydraulical disc brake (another long shot - for us who want to reuse old 11/12 speed components on new disc only frames)
Last edited by smokva on Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

200g of weight reduction to be on par with Shimano

Dov

by Dov

The rear derailleur on current gen SR Campagnolo is both overweight and difficult to setup. If they could make a derailleur like Shimano 9100 mechanical (158g) and a cassette in the same region as 9200 (220g) then they'd be there or therabouts again.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

robertbb

by robertbb

Dov wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 pm
The rear derailleur on current gen SR Campagnolo is both overweight and difficult to setup. If they could make a derailleur like Shimano 9100 mechanical (158g) and a cassette in the same region as 9200 (220g) then they'd be there or therabouts again.
They need to move to a shadow-esque design. Slimmer profile and lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com