What do you want to see from Campagnolo 2022-2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

What do I want to see from Campag (as a Campag only guy):
  • For the love of god do not abandon rim brake mech GSs - discs suck, Campy is all about the shift feel which EPS does not recreate.
  • Refine the shifting performance of 12-spd mechanical. Lots of people complained about challenges around the setup and tuning stability of 12-spd. It felt like a repeat of the 2008/9 first version of 11spd where they just didnt quite get the engineering right. I personally went back to the 2015-18 11spd cause its just a better GS than SR12 - easier to install, lighter, stays in tune longer, arguably prettier etc.
  • Return to the land weightweenies - reclaim the crown of lightest groupset.
  • No way should a Super Record 11-29 weight 266g. <200g cassettes please
  • Lighter brake callipers please - THM do it, EE do it, no reason Campag cant do it.
  • Make lighter shift/brake housing e.g. Jagwire elite/ or similarly lightweight metal link housing
  • Make the price competitive - AXS and Dura Ace are now ridiculously priced. WTF, 6k for a groupset? Get stuffed. Even keeping the current pricing will have Campy cheaper than Shim and SCRAM
  • Reintroducing Chorus EPS that doesn't weigh a metric ton is probably a good idea to compete with Force AXS (which does weigh a ton) and Ultegra Di2
    - We don't need (or probably want) 13 speed cassettes in a 2x setup. Thanks.
  • Only release a power meter is its as good as SRM or Power2max. Dont price gouge on it - (practically) no ones gonna pay 3000 for a powermeter when they can just get a Quarq or a Power2max for a third of the price.
All up? Recapture the peak performance of past generations, reclaim a coveted position (lightest groupset), earn market share by being decently priced. There's no claim to fame for being boutique with pricing anymore - SRAM and Shimano have already raced to the top. No one is gonna pay more than they're charging for a GS unless they are diehard and wealthy.

What do you reckon? What do you want to see?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I too would love to see new kit from campag. Your requests are a touch retro I feel, all manufacturers need to concentrate on discs now because that's what people buy. I'd like to see campag announcing new electronic groupsets and not just at the high end. It'll need to be wireless in some way.

Mainly I just want them to carry on as a successful company making products I want to ride with. I did read a thing the other day which said last year was very good for them.

MasterBean

by MasterBean

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I would like to see that button on the mech levers in a lower position so that it can be reached with ease from the drops and when you are on the hoods then you wouldnt have to pull your thumb back to get on top of the button. I think that would make it more ergo IMO.
The 12sp FD was finicky to set up and at first I thought there was something wrong with it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

zappafile123

by zappafile123

MasterBean wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 pm
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
Not to be too pendantic, but rumours about 'what will happen' is different to 'what you want to happen'. Appreciate that there is overlap in the threads tho.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

RDY

by RDY

They'd be mad to invest in rim. It doesn't sell anymore - per Shimano and SRAM.

They need simple, nice looking competitively priced disc electronic groups without a load of different but similar SKUs. Ekar isn't electronic, but it is simple, the best looking campag group in years, fairly competitily priced, disc and doesn't have loads of SKUs.

If you want them to remain in gruppos, they need to produce new stuff that will sell well.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I'm with you on a lot of that, but add that they should keep production in Europe. I have developed a complete disdain for Shimano. For Shimano and SRAM it's a race to the bottom IMO. Campagnolo components are beautiful and functional. I bought into the marketing for a while until i finally just saved some money and got my first SR grouipset. Calnago (RIP) showed how to properly build a Campy groupset.

I think they have to keep mechanical just like mechanical watches. Eventually the novelty fades and I just want some really high-end kit that works without a battery (hence my IWC watch). Let's see wireless electronic shifting which will make Shimano look even more dated that it already does. Let's also see electronic Ekar which is a top selling product already. Keep rim brakes. Get the weight a bit lower on Bora wheels.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

zappafile123

by zappafile123

rollinslow wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:05 am
Calnago (RIP) showed how to properly build a Campy groupset.
Heck! How did I miss that Calnago passed!? There is a really sweet thread commemorating him. I was always blown away by how detailed his posts were. RIP Cal.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Lower price

Keep the mechanical shifting

Longer shift housing lengths in the maintenance kits for internally routed frames.

Made my peace with the weights...has been very durable and reliable.

mgrl

by mgrl

zappafile123 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 pm
  • Make the price competitive - AXS and Dura Ace are now ridiculously priced. WTF, 6k for a groupset? Get stuffed.
Dura Ace and Red do not cost 6k

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

mgrl wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:52 am
zappafile123 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 pm
  • Make the price competitive - AXS and Dura Ace are now ridiculously priced. WTF, 6k for a groupset? Get stuffed.
Dura Ace and Red do not cost 6k
Dura ace with power meter and rotors is about $5500. Sram at any price is overpriced. :lol:
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Maddie

by Maddie

Ok, then what's the retail price for sr eps 12s groupset with powermeter?

Prawn

by Prawn

What a great topic!

Firstly, here's what I would buy:

1. 13 x 1. I'm ready to make the move to 1x road, and a quick look at the gear calculator shows that 1x13 has sufficient range and small enough steps to be viable.
2. Ekar-like shifters, but must be able to multi-shift on the thumbs
3. N3W hub
4. Super-Record levels of quality, aesthetics, and weight

What about variations? Now we are getting into commercial reality, so some pragmatism is required:'

A. Disc and. Rim variants - both are needed. Campag have (arguably) the best disc brakes now, and disc brakes dominate sales of new bikes. Others (including me) are on rim brakes and in no rush to change.
B. Mechanical and wireless - both are needed. I would be happy with either, but as pointed out by others the integration craze makes wireless very attractive.
C. Super-record and Record only. It's a premium brand; production is limited; focus on delivering a premium product that customers love

Dov

by Dov

There's no reason for Campagnolo to abandon mechanical and rim brakes. It's not loads of extra SKUs. As a minimum there's demand for another generation of these. And in 4 years we can see where the market is.

I'd like to see them really grow the offer in the mid ranges with EPS rolled down to Chorus and Athena in both rim and disc. Mechanical options too.

Abandon all the bottom groupset options and the cheaper wheels. Really stretch up. Some sort of super Super Record tier.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

1llum4

by 1llum4

I don't get why everyone want chorus or even lower tier EPS. At that price range, it's mostly for the OEM market and Campagnolo have no presence there and with the way frame are almost designed for only disc brake internal line. it makes no sense to offer a chorus with current eps technologies.

I would rather like to see them launch a wireless/semi-wireless Super Record or Ekar groupset and then launch a Chorus version.

I think this is what my campagnolo group hierarchy would be:

Super Record Wireless/semi-wireless EPS Disc
Super Record Wireless/Semi-wireless EPS rim
Super Record Mech Disc
Super Record Mech Rim
Chorus Wireless/Semi-Wireless EPS Disc
Chorus Mech Disc
Potenza 12 sp Disc (pretty much only for OEM)

Ekar Wireless/Semi-Wireless EPS Disc
Ekar Mech Disc
New 12sp 1x Mech group with alloy brake lever/crank/derailleur

Also some new alu wheels with more mordern dimension would be great too. A modern Zonda and a nice alloy gravel wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com