Washing AXS drivetrain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

manystyles

by manystyles

bobones wrote:I don't bother taking the batteries off when washing either, but I have had 2 eTap RD failures that I put down to moisture ingress, so I am not going near them with a pressure washer at all.

First failure was with 11 speed RD which, after a couple of years, started discharging batteries within a week, then after around 3.5 years it started stalling on shifts. I ended up buying an A2 RD to replace this.

Second failure was Force AXS RD which after a couple of months started discharging batteries within a day. I got this replaced under warranty. Not really sure what happened here, but it was on my winter bike and I may have used a PW on it a couple of times. The replacement has seen a lot of wet rides but it remains fine.

Most of the stories of repaired RDs on here tell of dirty/muddy interiors pointing to water ingress as the culprit, and once they're cleaned up they work again. I am now a bit more careful about drying them off after wet rides and only using hose mist spray to rinse off soap.

Water ingress:

It actually says in the service manual to remove batteries, and installed the covers when washing.

As I mentioned above, using a mist setting on a house attachment is more than enough to wash away what’s been agitated by a sponge to rinse away clean.

I for one don’t want to take the chance of damaging expensive component, that can be prevented with just a few seconds to remove the batteries.

Battery life:

Also, if your bike sits for long periods, the front and rear mech battery will also drain faster. That’s also mentioned in the manual too. I think it has to do with the components are always in communication with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:15 pm
LOL, there speaks someone whose never ridden anywhere with rain, snow, ice or dirt roads.
You are using the wrong tool for the job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JWTS

by JWTS

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 am
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:15 pm
LOL, there speaks someone whose never ridden anywhere with rain, snow, ice or dirt roads.
I guess I am too...

My road race bike sees plenty of dusty gravel and a lot of rain. It's not to precious too be hit with a hose...

Besides, is road AXS really that much different than the mountain version, which is specifically designed to withstand these sort of conditions?

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 am
Ummmmm, no. I just don't think you know how to care for your equipment.

The alternative would be that everyone in northern Europe would ride guards and mudflaps from end of August to mid May. At least.

The Scandinavian "summer bike season" would be about 6 weeks.