Best Components of the Past

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Easton EC90 handlebars & Easton EC90 seatposts
kAlloy stems
Syntace F99 stems

+1 Troy Watson wheels (I still chat with him on Facebook)

Ron Ruff White Mountain built wheels

SRP fastenrs (anodized aluminum tuning bolts, Ti bolts etc)

Not road bikes but mountain bikes, (Avid SD Ultimate Black Ops Brake Levers)

Still in production today: King Titanium waterbottle cages https://kingcage.com

Mavic Open Pro Rims

3T Funda forks

Reynolds componsite handlebar
Renyolds DV46C rims

unclearv

by unclearv

raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 pm

2. Klein Quantum. Still one of the best alloy framesets ever made. I lusted after one of these back in the day.
I see people romanticize these bikes but do they really hold up? I have no experience but I imagine a harsh (maybe stiff) aluminum ride that wouldnt be a desireable option by today's standards.

To my knowledge aluminum tubeshapes didnt allow for compliance until recently with hydroform.

They do look amazing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

unclearv wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:57 pm
raggedtrousers wrote:

2. Klein Quantum. Still one of the best alloy framesets ever made. I lusted after one of these back in the day.
I see people romanticize these bikes but do they really hold up? I have no experience but I imagine a harsh (maybe stiff) aluminum ride that wouldnt be a desireable option by today's standards.

To my knowledge aluminum tubeshapes didnt allow for compliance until recently with hydroform.

They do look amazing.
The bike holds up fine; gorgeous and stiff.
The ride is not comfy; to top it off, the fork will clear 22mm; perhaps 23mm.

So if you ride on rough tarmac, definitely not your ride. If your standards are a Roubaix seat post, probably other options are better. On good roads, it's a great bike.

eric01

by eric01

+1 on Klein. They had the quantum pro in 1993 with threadless forks/aheadset style, press fit bb, internal cable routing, butted/tapered aluminum tubes. 1993 when most of pro peloton was riding steel slx bikes easily 2 lbs heavier.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

AJS914

by AJS914

jih wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:17 am
Campagnolo Record ahead headset with the carbon topcap and custom alloy bolt. Pure class.
I've fitted one of those Record carbon top caps to my Colnago C59. It took some fiddling!

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Pics on that?

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

allepunta

by allepunta

around the 80's but not love for Suntour Superbe PRO?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

allepunta wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 am
I remember the 80's Mtb, Suntour Xcpro microdrive. First to introduce compact chainrings?

AJS914

by AJS914

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:54 pm
Pics on that?
IMG_0271.JPG

keaton

by keaton

DMT Kyoma shoes (3 velcro straps)

I loved the simple fit of these shoes and wish someone would bring back a modern high end 3 strap shoe.

Alfonso

by Alfonso

Made of fewer components that are very light and easy to lose some more weight like Btp, Tiso and certain Ax quelightness components that are no longer made.
Attachments
IMG_20211206_172907.jpg
IMG_20211206_172916.jpg
Screenshot_20211020-061608.jpg

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

allepunta wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 am
I believe that Suntour Superbe Pro was:

1) The lightest of the major racing groupsets

2) The least durable of the major racing groupsets

3) The best shifting close range (racing) rear derailleur, until Suntour's slant parallelogram patent expired; and that plus other improvements (including indexing which worked well) were incorporated in Dura Ace 7400 (1984). That was the beginning of the end of Suntour's heyday.

sylvain70

by sylvain70

On my side, I have always been surprised by how the weight was the target on race bike in the past... Remember the Huret derailler :unbelievable: , the CLB brakes and mavic or/argent7 rims. There are a lot of examples.

20 years ago, I was crasy about the M2racer proposal for pedals and carbon parts. Here is the real sense of the slogan "think different" in the bicycle field ^^

Singular

by Singular

Weight is no problem to measure, sense, understand and quantify which is why it is so very easy to sell and obsess about. When you're selling (low) weight, it is an absolute measurement that everyone can understand and relate to (and low weight in equipment does in addition to that FEEL great, and feel is a very important part of the enjoyment in addition to once being the guide to what was supposed to be fast/efficient). Now, we have a more nuanced view on what really brings speed and that is sometimes the contrary to light weight. Or, in a perfect world and all else equal, lighter weight is almost always faster, but...

Everyone has a scale, but wind tunnels or rolling resistance drums are few and far between.

wilwil

by wilwil

raggedtrousers wrote:
1. Record 10sp. Arguably the high point of mechanical groupsets in terms of the feel of shifts. Precise, light, and easy to maintain, as well. I still regret passing up the chance to buy a NOS one shortly before Covid.
3. Cinelli Alter stem. Weighed a ton iirc but just looked awesome on the right bike.
4. Pre 2010 Pegorettis. They were serious, authentic craftsmanship.
What happened after 2010? Mine is 2011

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com