Decathlon Lumière jacket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Hello

Looking for a new winter jacket and, I would like to know if anyone is using this Jacket and feedback would be very welcome.

https://www.decathlon.fr/p/veste-velo-r ... mc=8667873

https://www.vanryselcycling.com/lumiere-noire-en

or should i just go with the - ASSOS MILLE GT WINTER JACKET EVO - https://www.assos.com/eu/mille-gt-winte ... 72050.html

Let me know please.

Regards

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I really like what Decathlon have been doing with the Van Rysel brand, and the summer shorts are fantastic (not just good for the price, but good overall). I haven't tried this jacket, though, but it looks very good. That said, this is well into Assos territory, at least pricing wise, and I don't think most Assos customers want to be seen in Decathlon stuff, even if the quality is good. Just as a reference, the non "Pro" version of this jacket costs 50€, and their second most expensive jacket is just 90€.

I suppose the idea is to have it as a halo product to make people take the brand more seriously and buy their cheaper products, but it's a bit of a weird strategy and not something Decathlon usually does (in cycling or other sports).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elfuinha

by elfuinha

blaugrana wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:07 pm
I really like what Decathlon have been doing with the Van Rysel brand, and the summer shorts are fantastic (not just good for the price, but good overall). I haven't tried this jacket, though, but it looks very good. That said, this is well into Assos territory, at least pricing wise, and I don't think most Assos customers want to be seen in Decathlon stuff, even if the quality is good. Just as a reference, the non "Pro" version of this jacket costs 50€, and their second most expensive jacket is just 90€.

I suppose the idea is to have it as a halo product to make people take the brand more seriously and buy their cheaper products, but it's a bit of a weird strategy and not something Decathlon usually does (in cycling or other sports).
I wear Assos Jackets for more than 10 years... still ride 851 Jacket that is one of my favorites... it's almost pink... fadded Red...was red..
And the quality is TOP...
But i don’t mind trying other stuff that is also good and don’t mind about the brand...
The only thing i'm concerned with Decathlon jacket is the lack of stitching... panels are vulcanized... glueded together... something i've seen fall apart in cycling Jerseys after several Cold washes...

maquisard

by maquisard

elfuinha wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:55 pm
I wear Assos Jackets for more than 10 years... still ride 851 Jacket that is one of my favorites...
Agree, I was riding in my 851 today at lunchtime in conditions of around 3-4C. It is the best jacket I have owned and much much better quality than anything from Castelli which falls apart after a two seasons.

robeambro

by robeambro

blaugrana wrote:
It might be this, but it might also be a brand repositioning exercise as they will be a WT clothing brand for the first time (Cofidis iirc?)

pmprego

by pmprego

robeambro wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:03 pm
blaugrana wrote:
It might be this, but it might also be a brand repositioning exercise as they will be a WT clothing brand for the first time (Cofidis iirc?)
The high end segment is always desirable. For any company, in every industry. No different for Decathlon

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Decathlon prices are pretty good but their quality is usually mediocre to poor. These days I'd rather pay a bit extra and try go get something with better style that lasts a bit longer.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:14 pm
Decathlon prices are pretty good but their quality is usually mediocre to poor. These days I'd rather pay a bit extra and try go get something with better style that lasts a bit longer.
I've been using their Triban RC100 bib shorts that only cost me €25, they've done around 6,000km and have been washed after every ride which acording to my strava is 135 rides/washes. They're still in fantastic condition and I find them very comfortable, even on 3 hour+ rides.

I've just moved on to their Van Rysel RCR Winter range for bib tights and jacket which have been excellent so far and feel very well made, considering the jacket was €90 and the bib tights €80 the value for money is excellent. Equivalent features (waterproof, breathable, thermal, windproof etc.) for the more fashionable brands and you'd be looking at 3x the cost of the Decathlon stuff.

If you're on a budget and just want something that gets you out on the bike I would highly recommend them to anyone.
Last edited by OlieSimpson on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TTRV

by TTRV

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:14 pm
I disagree. It used to be poor indeed, but since they introduce their Van Rysel brand, their products are much better.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

I agree. They're obviously not cutting edge, but I'd say equal to stuff that's like 50% more expensive.

The winter jacket from van Rysel is indeed fantastic! No issues riding well below 0 degrees. Bib shorts and tights are okay, but these things are usually quite personal. Still great value for money, especially because you can Test the stuff.

pmprego

by pmprego

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:16 pm
I agree. They're obviously not cutting edge, but I'd say equal to stuff that's like 50% more expensive.

The winter jacket from van Rysel is indeed fantastic! No issues riding well below 0 degrees. Bib shorts and tights are okay, but these things are usually quite personal. Still great value for money, especially because you can Test the stuff.
It really depends for what you go. I find that their high-end stuff is really good while the mid segment not really worth it. For instance, the bib shorts I find the high end has the best chamois I've ever tried. The rest is just average at best but I value the chamois the highest so it's totally fine for me. Nonetheless, I'd gladly pay double what I paid for the bibs if they would upgrade the rest of the bibs to the highest standard. This would make it compete with the best of the best but at half the price.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

pmprego wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am
Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:16 pm

It really depends for what you go. I find that their high-end stuff is really good while the mid segment not really worth it. For instance, the bib shorts I find the high end has the best chamois I've ever tried. The rest is just average at best but I value the chamois the highest so it's totally fine for me. Nonetheless, I'd gladly pay double what I paid for the bibs if they would upgrade the rest of the bibs to the highest standard. This would make it compete with the best of the best but at half the price.
Agreed. I only have their winter bib tights and they're great.
Only thing is i would probably only recommend the van rysel items, unless one is short on money.
With those you can't really do any wrong.
However I would never buy the lumiere jacket

C36

by C36

Their standar winter jacket is miles away anything else in terms of bang for the buck (90euros) if you want to be able to ride sub-zero temperatures.
This version of the Van Rysel do not pretend to be as warm but 250 euros for a made in France, rather than roumania (Assos) or Asian based production (well most of the rest) for an high level of finish seems quite reasonable. Furthermore their warranty policy is absolutelly stellar.

As a side note, to put things in perspective, in terms of RnD Decathlon group (where Van Ryssel belongs to) is quite massive (yes spread over many many sports, but there are a lot of synergies especially on the textile part)... second side note, financially, from a quick google search, their net is bigger than Specialized total revenue (around 0.5b$)

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Hello all,

Ended buying a Sportful Total Comfort Jacket and Assos Winter Gloves for less that the price of the Luminére Jacket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com