Full internal cables on non-specific frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

havana

by havana

Maybe this is a stupid question, my apologies.

Would it be possible in any DIY way to convert to full internal cables on a frame that isn't specifically made for it? If so, how?

Running the cables through the bar and stem is pretty straightforward. How about the rest of the route?

BTW, I'm talking Di2/disc. So bends are not the problem either.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Marin

by Marin

Drill holes, insert cables?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IvanZg

by IvanZg

With this style of stem you can pull brake line through the fork without drilling it if there are no restrictions inside.

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/prod ... s-acr-stem

For the rear brake and di2 line (or wireless with 12s di2) potentially you could make centering ring and head set cover that accommodates brake line that goes around the steerer tube and then out between the fork and headset. (most probably there will not be enough space tho). Otherwise you have to drill the steerer tube or frame.
So if you have to ask do not do it.

hannawald

by hannawald

IvanZg wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 pm
With this style of stem you can pull brake line through the fork without drilling it if there are no restrictions inside.

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/prod ... s-acr-stem

For the rear brake and di2 line (or wireless with 12s di2) potentially you could make centering ring and head set cover that accommodates brake line that goes around the steerer tube and then out between the fork and headset. (most probably there will not be enough space tho). Otherwise you have to drill the steerer tube or frame.
So if you have to ask do not do it.
Yes, but ACR requires 1.5 head tube I think, most of the frames are smaller at the upper part...so no go for all bikes and drilling the steerer tube is craziness:)

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Well he would only use acr type stem to pull the front brake line trough the very top of the stem.

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

I did this with my frame. It looks alright, it looks like the first iterations of internal cable, where you can see cables and hoses in specific parts. I drilled a hole in the top of the crown race transition. I then epoxied a liner around the hole. This feeds the di2 wire and hose through the fork into the frame. I use a tharsis stem feeding the hoses and di2 through the top portion. My di2 junction box is in the top of the steerer tube. I pull the box out when I recharge the battery which is in the downtube. I 3d printed a top cover which covers the hoses and wires. The tharsis stem has a collar on the bottom which allows the headset to be torqued down. I used a coefficient wave handlebar which has a hole in the back of the bar to feed hose into stem.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

andy4g63

by andy4g63

You could use a Deda Box stem.

It has a covet for cables under the stem and spacers with room for hoses in front of steerer.

Of course your fork has to have a hole in order fort the front disc brake hose to run inside.

The forementiond Deda st also comes with recessed race for 1.5" top of headset and you should have, or find one for 1 1/8" top headset.

Also there's a Chanel on YT called Haytabike...

Look at his videos , especially one for British racing SL7...In the nice green color and you'll get the idea.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

andy4g63 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:31 pm
You could use a Deda Box stem.

It has a covet for cables under the stem and spacers with room for hoses in front of steerer.
Which is pointless if your frame isn't designed to have cables run through the upper headset.

The question was how to hide cables in a frame that isn't designed for it, not how to do it in one that is.

hannawald

by hannawald

IvanZg wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:49 pm
Well he would only use acr type stem to pull the front brake line trough the very top of the stem.
And there he ends if his fork is not ready for internal cable routing....maybe if he finds some d-shaped fork from Ridley or Colnago and it fits his frame...

IvanZg

by IvanZg

hannawald wrote:
IvanZg wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:49 pm
And there he ends if his fork is not ready for internal cable routing....maybe if he finds some d-shaped fork from Ridley or Colnago and it fits his frame...
I belive bmc also uses the same style of steerer tube. But if he decides to go this way he'll have a problem of difference in colour of the frame and fork. So now we came to a point where it's cheaper to sell existing frame and buy one that suits his requirements.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com