Advice for new project (endurance geometry)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sin77

by sin77

I am currently riding a 7.0kg ridley helium slx rim brakes version with 6 degree stem pointing up because of my back problem.

Right now looking at getting a disc brakes frame that could hit 8.0kg or lower but at a reasonable cost; definitely not a $10k super bike and prefer below $4k mark.

Have considered giant defy and merida scultura endurance for upright geometry, but the frame is likely heavy to begin with. Stock level is low and hard to find as well.

I have also looked at winspace slc 2.0 and yoeleo r11 and r12. All of them are too aggressive for my back and I probably have to add spacers to make the bottom of my stem 4cm above headtube. Worse still yoeleo doesn't work well with normal stem (I need to point it upwards) and don't think it can use round spacers. For safety, I am not sure if I should have 4cm worth of spacers below the stem. Aesthetics wise, a goose neck setup is not appealing. However, these frames are affordable and very importantly lightweight.

I'm stuck in a dilemma now. What should I go for?

For other things, not sure if it's a good idea to fit my old 11 speed red etap to the new bike with a hybrid cable pulled hydraulic brakes? Otherwise I am thinking rival axs which a fren will sell his used set to me at a cheap price. But then it is likely 1 kg heavier than my red etap. My other consideration is 105 mechanical, hydraulic. Slightly heavier than ultegra but very affordable.

For the wheels, I am likely to get winspace hyper wheels for the price and weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robius

by Robius

Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc is 8.5kg with stock alloy wheels. You might hit around 8kg with Hypers and lighter tyres.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

yingyu

by yingyu

Canyon Endurace CF SL 8 Disc claims 8.04 kg.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes ... be=GY%2FBK

DaveS

by DaveS

Why worry about weight when an upright position causes a greater loss of speed? Buy something that fits and enjoy riding it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The Synapse can work but the stack and reach numbers are closer to race geometry then most endurance bikes. There are better options if you are looking to accommodate spinal issues. The Focus Paralane is really tall in the front and the frameset is not too heavy. That would be my choice in your situations. (FWIW I use a Synapse as my fender bike - it's a very good bike also.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Focus Paralane. 900g-ish frame, decent endurance geometry, 35 mm ttre clearance, extreme comfortable in the saddle, seriously afforable.

Cheers, Lars

ABogle

by ABogle

Sadly a lot of these big brands don't really make lightweight endurance bikes. Increasingly they incapable of making a bike that is a bit taller and a tad shorter in reach without adding some moronic suspension or most recently with the new synapse an ugly battery pack.

An endurace or a roadmachine (reach is barely any less than on the teammachine sadly) would be decent options. Relatively light without any silly extras.

As you said the defy has proper endurance geometry but its not the lightest.

rjich

by rjich

Cervelo R models (not r5) have some tall head tubes too. New Cannondale Synapse is about to release which has threaded BB etc and comfier than the previous apparently.
I previously had a Time fluidity which was more upright and disc based. But those are hard to find.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

ABogle wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:55 am
An endurace or a roadmachine (reach is barely any less than on the teammachine sadly) would be decent options. Relatively light without any silly extras.
The Endurace is pretty racey compared to most other "endurance" geo frames. Just something the OP would need to look into with their back injury

ABogle

by ABogle

Andrew69 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am
ABogle wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:55 am
The Endurace is pretty racey compared to most other "endurance" geo frames. Just something the OP would need to look into with their back injury
The reach is a tad shorter than some (caledonia, roadmachine). But yeah you are right especially as the stack is rather low compared to the vast majority of endurance bikes. This is my bias coming through in that I always look for an endurance bike with lower stack than typical and short reach.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Totally agree
I ride an Endurace as Im not quite as flexible as I once was (or as young :-) ) but I didnt want to ride sitting up or something that weighed a ton, nor did I want to be that guy with a tower of spacers

sigma

by sigma

So I had a bit of a spinal issue a couple of years back and picked up a Synapse and Cervelo C5 to take a bike with a slightly higher stack than my normal bikes. Both were very comfortable - the Cervelo rode better and more precisely, the Synapse dampened better (felt very dull) but would routintely get passed on downhills so I swapped it for a Roubaix eventually and relegated it to trainer work. If I had to do it all again, I would probably just buy a Factor LS (gravel bike) for the higher stack (it's an O2 with taller headtube) as the combination of wider tires and taller stack make it supremely comfortable. It's quite cheap relative to a designated road bike and I only gave up around 70g in weight to the Synapse. It also handles better than the Synapse and on par with the C5 though this of course is subjective.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

smokva

by smokva

First of all....frames of certain model can varry in geometry through the range of sizes. Bigger sizes might be more relaxed than smaller and vice versa. That's why to give recommendation it would be best to know which reach and stack op targets at.

In my size all Pinarello models are very relaxed with stack to reach ratio 1,59 (calculated on dogma) so Pinarello racing models might be a good choice, even though they are not categorized as endurance.

smokva

by smokva

First of all....frames of certain model can varry in geometry through the range of sizes. Bigger sizes might be more relaxed than smaller and vice versa. That's why to give recommendation it would be best to know which reach and stack op targets at.

In my size all Pinarello models are very relaxed with stack to reach ratio 1,59 (calculated on dogma) so Pinarello racing models might be a good choice, even though they are not categorized as endurance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

osw000

by osw000

What's your current setup with the Helium SLX?
Frame size, stem length, number of spacers...
Are you confortable with it?
Is your back problem a cronical condition or it depends on form, strength and flexibility to some extent? If you can work it out a bit outside the bike you should be a bit conservative and look for a "best compromise" geometry and leave some margin to play with stem length and spacers. Health and confort on the bike is first, but form varies along the years and you may get your back sorted.
I don't know if it's your case but we all have experienced more or less that procastrination of looking for a bike to fit my current condition while doing nothing to improve it. Myself first, i should have better invested my time on some stretches than writing this post.