SRAM AXS shift levers: Force or Rival?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kervelo

by kervelo

At the moment it seems that neither of the two options are available anywhere, but if they ever become available again, which one would you choose and why?

I know there are some minor differences between Force and Rival: you can connect blibs to the Force levers and the bleeding connectors of Force brakes differ from the Rival version. Otherwise they are pretty similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the jackel

by the jackel

Rival levers are missing the bite point adjustment too and I believe are slightly slimmer.

Other then a bit of weight i believe they functionally very similar. As for which to choose, depends what the bike is for. I'm looking at building a gravel adventure bike so likely would choose rival. For my road bike I'd choose force, if not red although appreciate budget is likely a factor here.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

the jackel wrote:Rival levers are missing the bite point adjustment too and I believe are slightly slimmer.

Other then a bit of weight i believe they functionally very similar. As for which to choose, depends what the bike is for. I'm looking at building a gravel adventure bike so likely would choose rival. For my road bike I'd choose force, if not red although appreciate budget is likely a factor here.
Agreed, the Rival’s new shape looks to be more ideal for grip and maybe a bit more beneficial for off road use. Red and Force will probably follow suit with this shape, we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Does anyone know why AXS hydro shifters are suddenly totally unobtainable? They seemed gettable, if you shopped around, until quite recently.

Mirco

by Mirco

I had Sram Red Etap HRD and Red AXS HRD on 4-5 Bikes. Now got 2 Sets of Rival AXS Shifter and Brakes on 2 new FESTKA One due to unavailebility of Force AXS shifters and brakes.

To be honest, I miss nothing compared to the Red AXS shifter and brakes and my next FESTKA, already ordered will get Rival shifter and brakes. Aprox. 20g weight panelty comparing to Force.

Prosper00

by Prosper00

Rival shifters are much smaller and more attractive. I have Force and the contact adjuster makes sweet FA difference, it literally doesn't work, so I'll be swapping to Rival when I can.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

To add… The Rival even looks better than the plastic look of Force! Stay away from the Rival crank only cause of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gSporco

by gSporco

Ive used used and built Red, Force and Rival AXS for ss long as they have all been out... I have majority of my miles on Red and Force AXS...

My opinion:
If blips ate of no concern to you het Rival shifters all day long.. For $400 you cant go wrong.. I hardly ever used bit point adjust so no need for that feature on my end.. Rival is smaller, similar feel and better price.. Take the saved $700 on a part that will save more grams per dollar

Oh, for those who dont know.. the pandemic is still ongoing and global logistics makes everything bike related difficult to obtain :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Without sprint shifter in the drop, I'd just stay with mechanical groupset. It's the major advantage of electronic groupset vs mechanical for me.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Rival shifters any day. the current RED an force HRD shifters are very unfriendly to smaller hands. their rim brake counterpart is amazing tho.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Is it possible that force and Red shifters and calipers are not in the shops at the moment (very very annoying) because they are changing the look and feel of these items so that it will become similar with the shape of Rival?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

kervelo

by kervelo

poppiholla wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:39 am
Is it possible that force and Red shifters and calipers are not in the shops at the moment (very very annoying) because they are changing the look and feel of these items so that it will become similar with the shape of Rival?
I have been thinking the same. The Force AXS shifters have been unavailable for a long time and many European shops report similar estimated availability dates for them.

pmprego

by pmprego

kervelo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm
poppiholla wrote:
I have been thinking the same. The Force AXS shifters have been unavailable for a long time and many European shops report similar estimated availability dates for them.
Red axs is about to be 3 years old. Thus, a refresh is obvioulsy likely. There are obvious "easy" points of upgrade.

gSporco

by gSporco

kervelo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm
poppiholla wrote:
If you have read or listened to Pod casts regarding bike part availability then you will all know that the reason you can not find AXS shifters is "not" because of a redesign.

Here is why (Summary):
1. A thing called Covid has screwed up production and supply chain starting in March 2020
2. Manufacturers temporarily closed due to Covid
3. People started riding bikes more than before
4. Manufactures were making parts based on the numbers their buyers wanted or forecasted which was way way less than what actually in demand by the summer of 2020
5. Manufactures went back to work, Sram increased their output by 30%
6. Manufactures give priority to Pro teams, Influencers, and Bike companies, then the LBS
7. Sram has more parts in their warehouse then they can ship out
8. Global shipping is jammed up, again because of Covid; ships are just sitting out in the ocean waiting for the ports to call them in to unload

So hopefully that clears up any confusion anyone may still have based on whats been going on for the last 2 years..

Oh, if you are also trying to buy other products, (Cars, TV's, etc..) just apply the 8 things mentioned above and swap Sram out for whatever the name of the manufacture you trying to buy from.

Cheers!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Hexsense wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm
Without sprint shifter in the drop, I'd just stay with mechanical groupset. It's the major advantage of electronic groupset vs mechanical for me.
Yep. I have iclics on my gravel bike in the drops and it's so incredibly handy I can't believe more people don't do it.