S Works 7 lace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maximilian

by Maximilian

The three pairs I ordered for Sigma Sports arrived today. I ordered 44, 44.5 and 45.

Reference shoes I wear are 46 Sidi Ergo 2 that are more than a decade old, 45.5 Sidi Tiger, Nike 45, Common Projects 44

None of the S-Works 7 Lace fit me unfortunately. The 44 and 44.5 too short. The 45 was just about okay but I’d want to try a 45.5 for comparison. The problem was forefoot volume, which was way too high for me. Loads of excess material. I have very narrow and low volume feet however. For most I’m sure it’s not a problem!

The insole is not good, almost as bad as the Sidi cardboard item. Definitely something to replace with a proper insole. G8, Footbalance moulded I’d say.

Quality looks good, didn’t notice any wayward glue or poor stitching.

Weights below. I know Sidi are heavy and my shoes have speedplay cleats on but they’re subjectively very light. Shame they don’t fit. I think I’ll try DMT KRSL next but if those don’t work out I’ll stick with the Ergo 2s for longer.

I couldn’t be bothered to unlace all the shoes to remove the cardboard stiffener so weighed one and then zeroed the scale before weighting the right shoes only.

44 - 234g
44.5 - 240g
45 - 246g

Last edited by Maximilian on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Tapatalk... 😒
Last edited by Maximilian on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Maximilian wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:29 pm
Reference shoes I wear are 46 Sidi Ergo 2 that are more than a decade old, 45.5 Sidi Tiger, Nike 45, Common Projects 44
45.5 Sidi impose 45 Sworks. I'm 43.5 in Sidi, and 42.5 Sworks have good volume but are two millimeters too short. 43 Sworks are ok, but a bit too spacious. Specialized blue insoles solve it partially, and I'm happy with the fit.
This is based on regular Boa version though.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

guyc

by guyc

£300 and they can't even include some decent insoles.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maximilian wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:23 pm

None of the S-Works 7 Lace fit me unfortunately. The 44 and 44.5 too short. The 45 was just about okay but I’d want to try a 45.5 for comparison. The problem was forefoot volume, which was way too high for me. Loads of excess material. I have very narrow and low volume feet however. For most I’m sure it’s not a problem!

The insole is not good, almost as bad as the Sidi cardboard item. Definitely something to replace with a proper insole. G8, Footbalance moulded I’d say.

Weights below. I know Sidi are heavy and my shoes have speedplay cleats on but they’re subjectively very light. Shame they don’t fit. I think I’ll try DMT KRSL next but if those don’t work out I’ll stick with the Ergo 2s for longer.

I have narrow, low volume feet with a low-medium arch. I have not tried the DMT KRSL, but the KR0 did not fit me. I could get the midfoot and forefoot snug, but not without some material bunching. I could not get my heel secured. For one, it felt like my heel was raised and the ankle collar very low cut. My heel would lift inside the shoe.

The best fitting Specialized shoes for me are the Ares. Everything else is a bit wallowy as you say.

Since your feet work with Sidi, they probably work with other Italian brands too. If you're looking to try something new, I really like the Gaerne G.STL. The Vittoria Revolve just came out as well.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Maximilian wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:23 pm

I have narrow, low volume feet with a low-medium arch. I have not tried the DMT KRSL, but the KR0 did not fit me. I could get the midfoot and forefoot snug, but not without some material bunching. I could not get my heel secured. For one, it felt like my heel was raised and the ankle collar very low cut. My heel would lift inside the shoe.

The best fitting Specialized shoes for me are the Ares. Everything else is a bit wallowy as you say.

Since your feet work with Sidi, they probably work with other Italian brands too. If you're looking to try something new, I really like the Gaerne G.STL. The Vittoria Revolve just came out as well.
Cheers Tobin, super useful info. The aesthetics of the Vittoria aren’t quite my taste but the Gaerne G.STL look great. Reviews seem to mention being narrow as a negative point too Image! Easier to get hold of the Gaerne in the UK than either DMT or Vittoria. Will give them a shot

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maximilian wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm

Cheers Tobin, super useful info. The aesthetics of the Vittoria aren’t quite my taste but the Gaerne G.STL look great. Reviews seem to mention being narrow as a negative point too Image! Easier to get hold of the Gaerne in the UK than either DMT or Vittoria. Will give them a shot
Oh BTW, I currently wear the same size in Gaerne and Specialized, but the Gaerne is definitely a bit smaller. Given the 45 S-Works 7 Laces were borderline, I’d bet you’re a 45.5 in Gaerne. That would also fall in line with you being a 46 in some Sidis.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Not related to the lace shoes, but a question for those in the know: has anyone heard anything about the Exos shoes? They are basically sold out in the most popular sizes everywhere, and am wondering if there are any rumours as to restocking/new model coming up...

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Can anyone confirm what laces these come with - specifically do the white ones ship with black laces?
Hardly a deal breaker, but I'd rather not spaff £300 on shoes and still have to buy laces!

To answer my own question - white shoes only come with white laces!