My Fred Whitton Journey...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

AlanMorgan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:04 pm
Thanks for all the useful information! Looks like gearing is key. What are your thoughts on clinchers v tubeless for the event?
Tubeless has advantages for sure: you can ride at lower pressures. aiding grip and comfort, without the risk of a pinch flat, and most small punctures from thorns or flints should seal automatically. Even if they don't, you can quickly plug them with a Dynaplug or two and re-inflate without taking the wheel and tyre off. Only in very rare extreme occassions would you need to fit a tube, but that is still something you can do fairly easily if required. I also believe tubeless is safer than tubes if you are heating the rims by dragging the brakes down descents as there is no tube to suddenly explosively deflate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Just something to consider: I did the coast to coast event a few years ago with a few friends going from Seascale to Whitby, taking in wrynose, hardknott etc, great day out.
I was riding tubulars at the time and I decided for the first time ever to preload them with 25ml of sealant each.
I just wanted to enjoy the day with as little as faff as possible and not hold my friends up as we wanted a good time.
Unfortunately some lowlife scum had decided to throw hundreds of drawing pins on the road on the fast descent down to lake Windermere. I picked up 4 pins in my front wheel alone, my friend running tubeless also caught a few but we safely made it to the bottom where our punctures sealed immediately. My two other lads running clinchers deflated almost immediately, one ended up on his backside stunned but ok and the other brakes hard and stopped halfway on the descent. Lucky boys. Some other were not so lucky.
I hope this doesn't happen to you, but in the future for any special events I would recommend running a sealant for piece of mind.

jih

by jih

Tyre choice isn't crucial, but for the descents it could avoid a pinch flat to use tubeless. Still, tube-full clinchers are fine too.

Wider and lower pressure are good for traction on the steep descents full of potholes.

bobones

by bobones

Just got the email to say I've been successful in the ballot :unbelievable:

AlanMorgan

by AlanMorgan

bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:16 pm
Just got the email to say I've been successful in the ballot :unbelievable:
Me too! What have I done?..

expatscot

by expatscot

I've got in the ballot. Never ridden it before.
I'll be riding either the Look aero bike (Mavic SLE rims /exalith metal braking), or the Open UPPER disc, depending on the weather.
Both will be 11-28 / 34-50. I expect to be winching slowly up Hardknott and Wrynose.
I don't have lower gearing - all my decent bikes are eTap 11, which tops out at 28T cassette. I can manage Rosedale Chimney, Caper hill etc OK and I understand the steep bits of Hardknott and Wrynose are broadly similar.
Look 695 aerolight eTap 11
Boardman TTE eTap 11
Brompton S2 LX ti custom
Trek 5500 1994 Sram Red 10
Boardman CXR9.8 eTap 11
Open UPPER - DA 9270
Ridley x-fire Sram Red 10

and lots of non- WW others.

bobones

by bobones

My plan is to use Xert to manage my training at a moderate ramp rate, and the LoseIT app to drop a few kgs. I hope to get my training load up, and weight down to have a threshold around 4.5 w/kg by May. Although there's hardly anything above 15% around here, I will be seeking out the longest and hardest climbs for my training rides.

I will be using my new rim brake TCR (6.5kg) with Mavic Open Pro UST aluminium self-built wheels (1350g). I would normally ride carbon clinchers, but I am not going to risk melting them on these severest of slopes!

My current gearing has a 1/1 ratio (46-33 with 10-33) but I might try to get the 10-36 cassette to work as I don't think you can have too low a gear on 30% inclines, particurarly with 90+ miles already in the legs.

I'll be using tubeless tyres with Orange Seal sealant, probably 25 mm GP5000 S TRs and will carry Dynaplugs for non-sealing punctures.

I don't usually use a saddle bag or any other kind of bike luggage, but I might invest in a top tube bag, mainly to carry spare batteries and a charger for my GoPro.

Game on! :thumbup:

sigma

by sigma

expatscot wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:39 am
I've got in the ballot. Never ridden it before.
I'll be riding either the Look aero bike (Mavic SLE rims /exalith metal braking), or the Open UPPER disc, depending on the weather.
Both will be 11-28 / 34-50. I expect to be winching slowly up Hardknott and Wrynose.
I don't have lower gearing - all my decent bikes are eTap 11, which tops out at 28T cassette. I can manage Rosedale Chimney, Caper hill etc OK and I understand the steep bits of Hardknott and Wrynose are broadly similar.
If you swap your rear der to the wifli for etap 11, you can move to a 32 if needed. I am planning the 2023 edition so will be following you guys closely!
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

AlanMorgan

by AlanMorgan

Well - my frameset arrived a couple of days ago. It's a Winspace SLC 2.0 in size L (520 in Winspace's chart, which goes on seat tube length). The only option available was "Superlight Black" - not my first colour choice but the frame weighs 878g with both hangers mounted and bottle cage bolts. Uncut forks are 404g and seatpost is 189g. I had a look inside the frame with an endoscope and the internal finish is spot on - no wrinkles at all. However, the bottom bracket shell (BB86) is undersize. I got a friend with an engineering company to make me a go/no-go gauge and the "go" end is some way off going in. Looks like I'm going to be honing the shell to size tomorrow.

On the training front... Been doing some Surrey Hills (Shere Rd, Crocknorth, Combe Lane and Hoe Lane yesterday) - how are other "Fredders" getting on?

bobones

by bobones

AlanMorgan wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:22 pm
On the training front... Been doing some Surrey Hills (Shere Rd, Crocknorth, Combe Lane and Hoe Lane yesterday) - how are other "Fredders" getting on?
The weather here has been shocking the last month: we have had gale/storm force winds, torrential rain, or both. This weekend it's snow and wind, so I am not getting out on the road as much as I'd like, and most of my training has been on Zwift. I really struggle with motivation to do more than 2.5 hours on the trainer, and I am missing the 3-4 hour rides I usually do on Saturdays and Sundays. Despite this, I am managing to ramp my training load at the required rate, and I have lost almost 3 kgs in the last 3 weeks by counting calories with the LoseIt app. I am really looking forward to an improvement in the weather so I can get out on my TCR and start to work on some real hills.

AlanMorgan

by AlanMorgan

The weather's been a bit of a problem in the UK for the last week. Let's all hope we can get on with preparations and that there will be no more wind and rain left in the sky by May 8th...

otnemem

by otnemem

AlanMorgan wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:22 pm
Well - my frameset arrived a couple of days ago. It's a Winspace SLC 2.0 in size L (520 in Winspace's chart, which goes on seat tube length). The only option available was "Superlight Black" - not my first colour choice but the frame weighs 878g with both hangers mounted and bottle cage bolts. Uncut forks are 404g and seatpost is 189g. I had a look inside the frame with an endoscope and the internal finish is spot on - no wrinkles at all. However, the bottom bracket shell (BB86) is undersize. I got a friend with an engineering company to make me a go/no-go gauge and the "go" end is some way off going in. Looks like I'm going to be honing the shell to size tomorrow.

That's relevant information. Lots of Winspace ("direct from China framesets are basically perfect") stans going on without much contradiction.

My problem with it would be the BB standard. I want wider shells to better accommodate 30mm spindles/axles.

bobones

by bobones

The Lakeland Loop Sportive on 17th April seems like a good practice run for the FW. It takes in Whinlatter, Hardknott and Wrynose but skips Kirkstone and Honister for 69 miles and 7100 ft.

bobones

by bobones

It's almost here! Looks like the OP has disappeared, perhaps staying away after some comments on another thread ...

I did the Lakeland Loop on Easter Sunday but failed to get up Hardknott without walking due to the large number of cars and some inexperience dealing with gradients over 20%. You really need to get out of the saddle before or you lose control of your front wheel! I managed to get up the first set of hairpins on another attempt, but I really have doubts that I'll manage the 30% ramps further up the climb, especially with 90+ miles in the legs. We shall see.

Training was going well, or so I thought, but I now realise I have done far too many long rides to increase my training load and not enough VO2 work. I'll be easily fit enough to get around the 112 miles at a decent rate, but Hardknott requires sustained efforts at max HR, and I could have done more work along those lines for sure. I don't like pain though! Speaking of which, I also crashed at the weekend when I got caught up in a mountain of gravel trying to dodge a massive pothole. Ripped tights, skint knee and scaped shifter were the only damage though.

I'm down to 67-68 kg from about 74 at the start of this thread, but my peak power is also down as a result. Maybe focusing on losing weight at the start was the wrong thing to do.

I've more or less decided on my bike setup. TCR rim brake, self-built alu wheels (Kinlin XR31 20F-24R, CX-Ray ~1490g), 30 mm P-Zero Race TLR at 50 PSI, Silca Ultimate Sealant, EE brakes with Swiss Stop Blue pads, AXS 46-33 crank with 10-36 cassette. I may swap the 10-36 for a 10-33 as the 36 cog is perhaps too low a gear especially when out of the saddle, but it could be useful for recovery sections (which are still 10%!).

The wheels and brakes have been absolutely fine so far, but if there was ever a route for hydro disc brakes, this is it. The force required on the levers to keep the speed down on the steep descents is enough to give you cramped arms. There is no finessing it to control heat, just pull as hard as you can on both levers. No way would I try this with carbon hoops and I would probably drop out if it was raining.

I am also debating whether to ditch my GoPro and external battery setup to save weight on the day alongside using a 1 bottle strategy and topping up on the way. On the other hand, it probably won't make that much difference and I should just video it all and carry two bottles!

At least the weather is looking decent with no rain, light winds and moderate temperatures.

Anyone else looking forward to Sunday with dread?

expatscot

by expatscot

I'm in.
I'm going to do it on the OPEN UPPER.
Mechanical discs.
Bare shell saddle.
30mm Schwalbe G One tyres, with fresh sealant.
11-28/34-50. I don't have lower gears.
Single bottle for me, I think.

I've done a few decent climbs in the last week, albeit on fresh legs - Rosedale Chimney, Blakey Bank. 35% but not nearly as long as Hardknott.
I still don't have the endurance. Partly due to lack of miles, and partly from recent Covid.

I'm hoping to avoid cramping and cyclists coming to a sudden halt on Hardknott. I think it's closed to cars for the Fred.

Forecast is OK.
Look 695 aerolight eTap 11
Boardman TTE eTap 11
Brompton S2 LX ti custom
Trek 5500 1994 Sram Red 10
Boardman CXR9.8 eTap 11
Open UPPER - DA 9270
Ridley x-fire Sram Red 10

and lots of non- WW others.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓