Miche 11 speed cassette problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Usually I use Shimano cassettes and sometimes SRAM, but I wanted 12-32 and Miche was the only option so I bought it.
I tried installing it today and ran into multiple problems.
First the cogs were a tight fit to the cassette body, had to use quite a bit of force to get some of them on.
Then the lock ring says tighten to 45 N-m so that is what I set my torque wrench to.
But way before I got it that tight, the lock ring started to spin and not tighten.
So I decided to put it on my bike and I noticed the cogs were not straight.
So I took off the lock ring, repositioned the cogs and tried tightening the lock ring but it started spinning again and then broke into pieces.
So then I used a lock ring from a Shimano cassette and was able to tighten it as normal.
I put the wheel back on my bike and the cogs were now straight and started to adjust the gears.
I could not adjust it to work propoerly in all gears. I could adjust for low gears but then it would not work for the high gears and visa versa.
It is as though the spacing between the cogs is not consistent.
So for me this cassette is a total failure and not usable. I am not sure if I can get my money back since I bought it overseas.
It will be replaced with Shimano 11-32. I have never encountered these problems before this Miche cassette.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Some cogs and freehubs fit tighter together than others, so that's normal. You need to take care to slide then all the way on. If cogs were crooked, they weren't on all the way when you started to tighten the lock ring which has relatively delicate aluminum threads being torqued to a high value. You stripped the threads and broke it because not enough threads were engaged.

Regarding shifting, is 12-32 one of the standard sizes listed on the Miche site or one of the custom combinations made by a 3rd party?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:16 am
Some cogs and freehubs fit tighter together than others, so that's normal. You need to take care to slide then all the way on. If cogs were crooked, they weren't on all the way when you started to tighten the lock ring which has relatively delicate aluminum threads being torqued to a high value. You stripped the threads and broke it because not enough threads were engaged.

Regarding shifting, is 12-32 one of the standard sizes listed on the Miche site or one of the custom combinations made by a 3rd party?
I just looked at the threads under a magnifier and they do not look stripped.
As I siad, the torque never got to a high value as the lockring started spinning before that.
But they must not be completely engaging the freehub since they are not tightening.
AFAIK the 12-32 is standard size from Miche.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Miche cassettes are great, we constantly use their junior ratio cassette and they shift fine.

You must have stripped the miche lockring, and your body probably has some indents from your old cassette. That’s probably why it was hard to get the new cassette on

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

12 tooth lock rings have a larger area than 11 tooth ones. Could it be that the lock ring was never properly engaged, if you can't see any sign of the thread stripping it would suggest it wasn't.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I was invetsigating the shifting problems some more today and still could not get it to shift properly.
I decided to take off the cassette and re-seat the cogs to make sure that they were staight.
Then I noticed that the Shimano lock ring does not really fit the cassette, it is a smaller diameter than the Miche.
So the only way I can use the cassette is to get a Miche lock ring.
I asked the place I bought it from if they can send me a new lockring.
I am thinking the lock ring broke because the cogs were not on straight, although you would think that tightening the lockring would seat the cogs.
It seems really fragile compared to Shimano. If they cannot send me a new lock ring I will have to ditch this cassette.
IMG_0347.jpg

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Like I said 12tooth lock rings are larger than 11tooth ones, having said that I would suggest using a steel lock ring to make sure the cogs are seated properly, then if you wish use an aluminium one to save weight.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:50 pm
Like I said 12tooth lock rings are larger than 11tooth ones, having said that I would suggest using a steel lock ring to make sure the cogs are seated properly, then if you wish use an aluminium one to save weight.
The Shimano lock ring I was trying to use came from a 12-28 Dura Ace cassette but still does not fit the Miche.
Do you know where I can get a steel lock ring?

Thanks

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Can be bought from eBay, or worth trying your local bike shop, or here.https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Gusset-HG-Styl ... CwQAvD_Bwe
If you plan on using a aluminium lockring make sure it is suitable for a 12 tooth cog.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

If cogs weren't straight, then fewer threads are engaged when the resistence starts. It takes very very little torque to strip such a fine aluminum thread. You're supposed to seat the cogs straight first otherwise you're not giving the lock ring much of a chance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:07 am
If cogs weren't straight, then fewer threads are engaged when the resistence starts. It takes very very little torque to strip such a fine aluminum thread. You're supposed to seat the cogs straight first otherwise you're not giving the lock ring much of a chance.
I thought I did seat the cogs having to use a lot of force. It wasn't until I put the wheel on the bike and started adjusting the gears that I noticed some wobble in the cassette.
As I said the cogs where very tight, Shimano cogs just slide onto the freehub with no resistance at all.
There is no evidence that the theads are stripped after looking at them under a loupe.
The problem is the outer flange of the lock ring is broken off.
I think that this cassette is just defective on multple levels.
It should not be this hard to install a cassette and get it to work, have done it many many times with no problem.
Still waiting to hear from the seller if they can send me a new lock ring.