Handlebars with a central hole 🕳

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robbosmans

by robbosmans

So just build up a bike with FSA acr and the 3T aeroflux. I wouldn’t recommend this bar for 11s di2, there just isn’t enough space inside the bar for all the cables.

12s di2 and etap should work great with this bar

CAAD997

by CAAD997

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:15 pm
So just build up a bike with FSA acr and the 3T aeroflux. I wouldn’t recommend this bar for 11s di2, there just isn’t enough space inside the bar for all the cables.

12s di2 and etap should work great with this bar

Pics??

Did you exit the cables out the rear clamping area hole on the bars, and then run them in the FSA ACR stem?
Two wheelers rock!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Don’t have any pictures sorry, was a bit too frustrated at the end

Yes cables go directly into the FSA acr stem.

sigma

by sigma

CAAD997 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm
scottydonald wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:28 am

you didnt ask me but here is mine.
Thanks - are all of the cables internal?
For the Cervelo they should be. I had mine originally on my SL7 and it looked fine though the small vibility of the cables irritated me, so I popped an Aerofly II on there and then moved the Metron over to my Roubaix. I am using with an Extralite Hyperstem - my set up is non-integrated so I can certainly photograph it if you want to see how it looks. I am also going to install this onto my old SL6 disc Tarmac which is running an MCFK stem also non integrated. That will happen a bit later when it warms up.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

CAAD997

by CAAD997

robbosmans wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:50 pm
Don’t have any pictures sorry, was a bit too frustrated at the end Image

Yes cables go directly into the FSA acr stem.

I should have been more specific ...... would you be willing to post final pics of it all together, showing how sleek it all looks?

Understood about feeling frustrated at the end ....... I bought an FSA NS SMR stem and need to muster up the patience to take everything completely apart just to install a new stem. At some point, I need to shorten the OEM cables, so I need to take it apart anyway - just not super excited to do it. Fully internal cables look so nice, but require more time.
Two wheelers rock!

ericlambi

by ericlambi

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:48 am
Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:35 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:29 am
Black inc Road bar!
Don't see it on the websight, but i have it on mine.
Thanks.
This is the annoying thing. You'd think they would have pictures or an accurate description on the website.
I had already disregarded their bars based on the pictures.
Hm, well, you shouldn't. They have a great shape if you like a near horizontal transition from the top of the bar to the shifters.
I have several 400 Euro bars here which i have dismissed in favor of Black inc due to the shape.
Could you post a photo of your bike with this bar? I can't find a photo of it installed on a bike. Do you know how similar the shape of the bar is compared to the bar stem? Looks pretty close on the diagram.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ericlambi wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:59 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:48 am
Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:35 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:29 am
Black inc Road bar!
Don't see it on the websight, but i have it on mine.
Thanks.
This is the annoying thing. You'd think they would have pictures or an accurate description on the website.
I had already disregarded their bars based on the pictures.
Hm, well, you shouldn't. They have a great shape if you like a near horizontal transition from the top of the bar to the shifters.
I have several 400 Euro bars here which i have dismissed in favor of Black inc due to the shape.
Could you post a photo of your bike with this bar? I can't find a photo of it installed on a bike. Do you know how similar the shape of the bar is compared to the bar stem? Looks pretty close on the diagram.
Haven't seen the integrated version, but i'd guess they're actually same shape.
Anyway, here are a few pics..
Attachments
P1010215.JPG
P1010216.JPG
P1010217.JPG
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

hodag1977

by hodag1977

As the owner of a 2018 Cervelo R5 with DI2, I also need a central hole in my bars to route the cable thru the stem and into a factory hole in my top tube, right behind the steerer tube. I'm only aware of 2 - Pro and Cervelo. I use Pro (Shimano) because it's cheaper than Cervelo - I've got the Vibe non-aero carbon bar with a Pro aluminum stem. I've got a bar-end junction box - cable goes thru central hole in bar and out the back of the stem. Last I checked only the carbon bars have DI2 internal routing. Pretty sure Cervelo has the same setup.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

hodag1977 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:09 am
As the owner of a 2018 Cervelo R5 with DI2, I also need a central hole in my bars to route the cable thru the stem and into a factory hole in my top tube, right behind the steerer tube. I'm only aware of 2 - Pro and Cervelo. I use Pro (Shimano) because it's cheaper than Cervelo - I've got the Vibe non-aero carbon bar with a Pro aluminum stem. I've got a bar-end junction box - cable goes thru central hole in bar and out the back of the stem. Last I checked only the carbon bars have DI2 internal routing. Pretty sure Cervelo has the same setup.
I think this thread makes it clear that there are at least 7 manufacturers who offer bars with a Central Hole:

Enve
Prime (Wiggle)
Pro
Cervelo
Ritchey
FSA
3T

ericlambi

by ericlambi

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:53 pm
Haven't seen the integrated version, but i'd guess they're actually same shape.
Anyway, here are a few pics..
Thank you!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

stevec1975 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:05 pm
hodag1977 wrote:
I think this thread makes it clear that there are at least 7 manufacturers who offer bars with a Central Hole:

Enve
Prime (Wiggle)
Pro
Cervelo
Ritchey
FSA
3T
black inc
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

hodag1977

by hodag1977

stevec1975 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:05 pm
hodag1977 wrote:

Enve
Prime (Wiggle)
Pro
Cervelo
Ritchey
FSA
3T
I checked all of those except Wiggle - if the intent of the OP is to route the DI2 wire thru a central hole in the center of the bar & thru the stem to exit out the back, the only options are Pro & Cervelo. Those two are specifically designed for that application - otherwise you're jury-rigging something.
Attachments
AE3C6E30-1C9D-4860-8BE3-27E1395B3C1D.jpeg
84FEF046-7BB3-42F7-B8C4-889541C02F5E.jpeg

ericlambi

by ericlambi

Pretty sure the Vision Metron 4D has a central hole as well. At least my shop believes it does, because they ordered it for me when the Black Inc was unavailable.

Gary71

by Gary71

You don't have to (and shouldn't) run the Di2 cable into the top tube.
I have seen photos on this forum, where the Di2 cable has been coupled and shrink wrapped with the rear brake line directly into your down tube. It is cleaner; the way it should have been manufactured the first time and you won't have to stare at an ugly cable flapping about.
It will also give you an option to be able to mount a top tube bag if you need.
I'm sure if do a search for R5 builds on this forum you will find plenty of examples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com