Looking for the "perfect" rain cape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oreiarias

by oreiarias

Hi

I've just received the Assos Equipe Rain Evo and it seems to be a quality piece but I think about returning it and go Shake Dry, the PT Lightweight Rapha version.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the packabiloty of the Assos and the Rapha would allegedly smallish and less bulky.

By any chance there's a fellow member of the forum that had the chance of trying both out on the wild?

I'm also concerned about the DWR Treatment in the Assos. As far as I know Shake dry garments don't need any treatment down the road to preserve its qualities but I can't find any info on the Assos in that regard

On a side note, the Assos in bright yellow is really nice and definitely more reflective than all the dark options on Shake Dry garments.

Money wise, in my case the difference would be just 12€ cheaper the Assos

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my Mi 10 using Tapatalk

Flasher

by Flasher

Shakedry is as good as it gets currently but I'm not really keen on the dark colours, although I do own the navy blue Gore version. I recently bought the Assos Equipe as I liked the bright orange colour, but quickly sent it back as like you found it not to be packable enough for my liking!

However I mostly go back to my Rapha bright yellow rain jacket even though it sweats up on the inside (not that bad), as I prefer to be seen in the rain rather than stay bone dry!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

I've had a Castelli Idro for a few years now and it still looks and performs as new. Yes, it is dark, but I use lights for visibility: Varia radar + UT800, Cateye Volt 1700, additional light on seatpost and helmet blinky. If they don't see me with that lot then they're just not looking.

welchy

by welchy

My Rapha Pro Team packs down brilliantly and is the only cape i've had that actually works. I don't think you can expect packability of a superthin garment and useability.

I've had the Castelli, Santini and Assos offering and the Rapha Pro Team (note I think mine is 2019 year) is just so far ahead of the others. Helped that I paid about half price from the archive store for it! I've heard positive reviews of the high end gore tex stuff and Maap.

robeambro

by robeambro

Shakedry is great, but durability isn't its forte, I had one jacket tear when I had my pockets a bit too stuffed.

I have recently purchased one of Rapha's new Gore-Tex jackets, which is basically a 3-layer textile with Shakedry in between. Less packable than a pure Shakedry jacket but arguably more durable. I haven't been able to put it to the test in deep rain, but to be honest, i trust Gore with this stuff.

oreiarias

by oreiarias

Last edited by oreiarias on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oreiarias

by oreiarias

Last edited by oreiarias on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oreiarias

by oreiarias

That's the thing. I'm in the market for a packable and breathable jacket. I still have not returned the Assos but given that I don't have suppliers near I've just ordered four ShakeDry's

The plan is to have them all at home and compare fit to keep the one that I liked the most

So next week I'll have before my eyes the Assos, Idro 3, C5, PT Lightweight and the Etxeondo

VvM

by VvM

I've got the Gore Shakedry Stretch and I think it's brilliant. Packs fine for me, no issues. Breaths and protects me from the rain, fits well and has reflective bits. So far I've had it for about 2 years and to date durability hasn't been an issue.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I have the endura rain cape and has been good for a few years 👌
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

markdjr

by markdjr

7mesh Oro, venting and fit are spot on.

wilwil

by wilwil

robeambro wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:28 am
Shakedry is great, but durability isn't its forte, I had one jacket tear when I had my pockets a bit too stuffed.

I have recently purchased one of Rapha's new Gore-Tex jackets, which is basically a 3-layer textile with Shakedry in between. Less packable than a pure Shakedry jacket but arguably more durable. I haven't been able to put it to the test in deep rain, but to be honest, i trust Gore with this stuff.
Does it pack small enough to fit in a pocket?

robeambro

by robeambro

wilwil wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:37 pm
robeambro wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:28 am

Does it pack small enough to fit in a pocket?
It does but of course it depends on your pocket size. It's definitely not the smallest jacket.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Any updates OP? Looking for a nice rain jacket too. I have 20% off on rapha stuff so is that just the best option?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

robbosmans wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm
Any updates OP? Looking for a nice rain jacket too. I have 20% off on rapha stuff so is that just the best option?
I've found the endura stuff to be great Rob, designed for Scottish weather 👌
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓