Lightest Road Helemet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I remembered reading somewhere that CPSC can make helmet worse than CEN.
CPSC make sure the helmet is effective at preventing skull crack. But to do so, usually helmet have to be stiffer for harder impact that it is worse at preventing concussion at a lower impact force.

So, argument say, if the impact is so hard that you risk skull crack you'd have concussion already. You have lower chance of dying but still have brain damage. But making helmet foam softer, it's better at reducing concussion for all lighter impact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MasterBean

by MasterBean

Is the CCT the knock off version of the CTT?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

johanalexander

by johanalexander

:wink: Cut your hair in a helmet kind of fashion, no one will be able to tell :beerchug:
Eating trash'n riding fast

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

johanalexander wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:17 pm
:wink: Cut your hair in a helmet kind of fashion, no one will be able to tell :beerchug:
Best answer yet 😂😂
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

bedampft

by bedampft

Ekoi Corsa Light, 185g (S)
Ekoi Gara, 195g (S)
Ekoi AR14, 195g (S)

iamraymond

by iamraymond

My Kask Valegro (non-WG11) and Abus Airbreaker both in size medium are 210g.

neeb

by neeb

The European Kask Protone is only 15g more than the Valegro (I have both and they are 225g and 210g respectively in M with the straps trimmed to size). I understand that there's a much bigger weight difference between the two in other markets. Protone also probably moderately aero?

Prosper00

by Prosper00

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:03 pm
Are the Euro helmet safety standards less stringent than in the USA? That's the only reason I can think of why they would be lighter. I've always felt like our safety standards are pretty minimalistic and somthing Europe generally does better than we do.
No, just different. National standards all use different testing techniques whose effectiveness vary massively depending on the kind of crash you may have. Fundamentally the benefits of cycling helmets are still debateable. Picking a National standard isn't a reason to choose.

Lillee

by Lillee

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:34 am
The HJC Furion is interesting it claims to be aero and is reportedly light - I've never heard of the brand before, I don't think they sell them in the US.

How heavy is yours @usr?
They are an established motorcycle brand. I have three of their helmets and the Furion is very good and light

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 pm
The Limar Ultralight Evo is pretty light, but I would guess an aero road helmet would actually be faster for most hill climb courses.
I doubt most courses are long enough, or the riders sat down long enough to even generate a stable flow. It's the one road cycling discipline where light weight over aero actually makes sense most of the time.
Longer, flatter courses do exist, but they are not normal. The aim is generally short, sharp, steep and vomit at the top.
I've done a few (25+ years ago!) and very very few of them required you to be seated for more than a few seconds at a time, most wouldn't even have required a saddle!

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:15 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 pm
The Limar Ultralight Evo is pretty light, but I would guess an aero road helmet would actually be faster for most hill climb courses.
I doubt most courses are long enough, or the riders sat down long enough to even generate a stable flow. It's the one road cycling discipline where light weight over aero actually makes sense most of the time.
Longer, flatter courses do exist, but they are not normal. The aim is generally short, sharp, steep and vomit at the top.
I've done a few (25+ years ago!) and very very few of them required you to be seated for more than a few seconds at a time, most wouldn't even have required a saddle!
Yeap aero is pointless as I am out of the saddle from the gun! Hence why I have focused on on weight and stiffness for my build and what I wear..

Which is why I would always just wear a cap before...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My Euro spec size medium POC Ventral Lite came in at 188 grams in matt Black. Size medium Euro spec Kask Valegro is 211 grams in white glass.
Attachments
IMG_2369.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt