Specialized Aethos Max Tire Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pesto13

by pesto13

Hi All,

I own an Aethos and want to set it up for light gravel conditions nothing crazy. I have read and heard that you could fit up to 35mm in tires in the bike although specifications say that the max clearance is 32mm.

Please could anyone that has experience with 35mm in the Aethos share your thoughts and pictures if possible.

Cheers,

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Someone posted photos in another thread. It’s not a rideable configuration.

RyanH

by RyanH

If I recall correctly, it's about 38mm from fork blade to fork blade so anything above 33mm is probably a bad idea.

takolino

by takolino

I was curious about this too. I just swapped my 28c with 32c tires from my Addict which are actually about 33.4mm measured and it just clears a 4mm allen wrench on the fork. The chainstays are a bit tighter. Same tire just clears a 2mm wrench. That's pretty tight. I wouldn't run anything wider than 32 mm measured width. Specialized wasn't being conservative here.

PSM

by PSM

But why 35 mm on Aethos?

robeambro

by robeambro

PSM wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 am
But why 35 mm on Aethos?
OP clearly states "to set it up for light gravel". Not everybody wants/needs/can afford to have N+1 bikes.

milanv

by milanv

PSM wrote:
But why 35 mm on Aethos?
People are making gravels from any bike... :lol:

gSporco

by gSporco

A little late to this party.. I posted on another thread but here is my experience.. On my Aethos, running the new Firecrests which are 25mm internal hookless and Gravelking slick 32mm tires, measure 35ishmm front and rear with about 50psi. The Aethos clears this very well, about 3mm on the sides.. However, the problem with going bigger is you run out of room at the top of the fork very quickly.. So putting in a 35mm tire and it ballooning out will most likely bottom out at the top of the fork..

My opinion, 32mm tire on a wide internal rim is the limit.. throw in cakey mud and you may have some scuffs..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

gSporco

by gSporco

One more thought... I think any bike could ride gravel if the rider has the skills.. Looking at the 2021 ROubaix race this year.. Slippery, muddy and bumpy as hell.. Yes the pros are traveling pretty fast which mitigates the bumpiness as the faster your travel the more likely you will skip over rather than hit the cobbles harder at slow speeds.

I think the Aethos with 32mm tubeless tires and tires inserts would do fine on mild to medium gravel rides.. It all depends what you are doing.. fireroads, lots of rocks, mud etc..

Im not saying the Aethos can be a gravel bike, Im just stating that you could ride it on gravel given to the considerations to tire choice, psi, inserts, average speed etc..

Am I/ would I ride my Aethos on gravel.. No.. I dont want to pay the price of rock strikes to the frame.. but I have ridden hardpack gravel as its unavoidable on some of my rides..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

charirider

by charirider

My buddy put 33mm Vittoria Terrano Dry and it fits ok with some 3-4mm clearance. So 32-33mm is the max, 35mm would be a no-go.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

txomin

by txomin

gSporco wrote:A little late to this party.. I posted on another thread but here is my experience.. On my Aethos, running the new Firecrests which are 25mm internal hookless and Gravelking slick 32mm tires, measure 35ishmm front and rear with about 50psi. The Aethos clears this very well, about 3mm on the sides.. However, the problem with going bigger is you run out of room at the top of the fork very quickly.. So putting in a 35mm tire and it ballooning out will most likely bottom out at the top of the fork..

My opinion, 32mm tire on a wide internal rim is the limit.. throw in cakey mud and you may have some scuffs..
GKs 32 make 34 real size , I'm running em, no complain at all, really funny, light gravel and dirty and broken roads Image

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

robeambro wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:51 pm
PSM wrote:
But why 35 mm on Aethos?
OP clearly states "to set it up for light gravel". Not everybody wants/needs/can afford to have N+1 bikes.
But why an Aethos, it makes no sense. Their are plenty of bikes which perform the job better, heck a CRUX would be perfect.

robeambro

by robeambro

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:18 pm
robeambro wrote:
PSM wrote:
But why 35 mm on Aethos?
But why an Aethos, it makes no sense. Their are plenty of bikes which perform the job better, heck a CRUX would be perfect.
My god, Is it so difficult to understand why somebody who already owns an Aethos might not want - or have the financial means - to buy another bike?

txomin

by txomin

OnTheRivet wrote:
robeambro wrote:
PSM wrote:
But why 35 mm on Aethos?
My light gravel aethos weights 6.7kg. And simply change to 28" and have the most capable Image bike possible... By the way, I have 12 bikes, including 3 gravel bikes up to 42" tyres.... Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com