Specialized Aethos: Any reason why it's not associated as a road race bike ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

thebikemanguy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:24 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:04 am
What you're describing is an Aethos endurance bike. I don't see the point.
I'm just going round in circles at this point, so won't belabor much further - I'll just continue to reiterate that Specialized made a bike that isn't good for racing, and then chose geometry that isn't well-suited for most folks who don't race. (Also, weird flex talking about a Synapse - why not compare to the actual endurance bike that Specialized makes?)
Why isn't geometry suited to most folks? An Aethos with spacers and/or shorter stem will suit a wide range of people who don't race. A 56 Aethos with some spacers will be just as upright as a 56 endurance frame when slammed. And, to be frank, that's what people tend to do.

In theory the Aethos has a range of applications which far exceeds that of most (road-only) bikes, in that it could theoretically be used for racing (please, please, spare me of the "it doesn't make sense, there's the SL7" - a good chunk of us sound like they're at the top of cat1 trying to find a WT contract) just as much it could be used for a leisurely pursuit. Is it the best racer, no. Is it the most comfortable bike, no. But I think the market for those who "just want a fun" bike should be much bigger than it currently is, instead of having everyone chase racier models as if they'll become MVdP.
Last edited by robeambro on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

As mgrl pointed out it has been raced in the TdF and it shares the same geometry as the SL7 so it can be a race bike. Since Specialized already had the SL7 for the "racer", they probably didn't want to split sales of their race bike between the two, so they didn't market the Aethos as a racer, plus they could market it as a bike that is under the UCI limit as built (even though the frame is UCI legal.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I have both SL7 and Aethos. I sold the latter because I like the SL7 for racing. Don't get me wrong the Aethos is still fast and you can ride it all day long.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

All marketing is to sell more product. It keeps the world moving. It's not just a Specialized thing. If you get caught up with it, that is your problem. Self control is where it's at.