Recommend BB for PF30 frame and DUB crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

Can anyone please help me with choosing a BB for a 68mm wide PF30 frame to run a SRAM DUB chainset?

Should I go with ordinary pressfit BB from the likes of SRAM? These will be cheapest and lightest option, but possibly prone to creaking.

Or Wheels Manufacturing or Token Ninja threadfit type BB? I can get the Wheels Man one easily in the UK, but the Token one is harder to find. These weigh around 130-160g so twice the weight of ordingary pressfit. Should I be concerned about wear of steel to alu bearing interface and are the bearings a standard size ?

Are there any other reasonably priced options worth considering?

lazyriderzhao

by lazyriderzhao

I'm on SRAM stock BB-DUB-PF30-A1. not ceramic bearing but 2 years and not any problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

bobones wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 am
Can anyone please help me with choosing a BB for a 68mm wide PF30 frame to run a SRAM DUB chainset?
Are there any other reasonably priced options worth considering?
C-bear bottom brackets are always worth checking out.

bobones

by bobones

Thanks guys.

I have Wheels Manufacturing DUB thread fit in one of my bikes with BB386EVO and it seems to be OK. Absolutely no movement or creaking, but the sealing doesn't look great and the non-drive bearing was a bit rough when I checked. I have since learned that steel bearing directly on alu spindle could be source of fretting/wear and the 6806/29 bearings used are non-standard, so I am not sure if this is really a great choice. 156 g is a bit porky too on what will be a weanie build.

C-Bear, BB Infinite and Ceramic Speed are all a bit too expensive for my tastes, so I am thinking I will just go for the standard non-ceramic SRAM BB-DUB-PF30-A1 as suggested by lazyriderzhao and revisit if I develop any problems with premature wear or noise. I can pick this up for £48 and it's 89 g.

I had toyed with idea of pressing in the FSA PF30 to BSA convertor as I already have SRAM DUB BSA cups, but by all accounts, the narrow bearings would compromise BB life and the total weight would be up there with Wheels Manufacturing BB.

My other option is just to stick with my 11 speed Red GXP crank and get a refund on the Red DUB one. I can use a Token Ninja BB I already have with GXP and buy some Praxis 12 speed 50-34 rings. This will probably be around 80 g heavier than the DUB crank with SRAM cups though.