Assos GT winter overshoe (Ultraz) or Castelli estremo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

Does anyone have any experience with either of these overshoes (also interested in difference between regular GT winter overshoe and the Ultraz)? I'm looking for warmth and water protection isn't that important. My feet get really cold and I'm hoping to be able to ditch the chemical warmers that I normally have to use with other overshoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kookie

by kookie

I have the Ultraz and had 1 ride so in -5*C to -10*C (wearing previous gen Assos Winter socks). After a couple of hours my toes started to get cold but I just started wiggling my toes at stop lights and I was fine.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

whataboutEee wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:37 pm
Does anyone have any experience with either of these overshoes (also interested in difference between regular GT winter overshoe and the Ultraz)? I'm looking for warmth and water protection isn't that important. My feet get really cold and I'm hoping to be able to ditch the chemical warmers that I normally have to use with other overshoes.
Greetings whataboutEee. A lifetime spent on ski hills has left its mark on my feet. Nerve damage, blood vessel damage, my toes no longer have the ability to heat themselves. For keeping toes warm I have found the following works best:

1. Endura Thermalite ll Socks https://www.dirtbikebitz.com/en-CA/Endu ... gK0ivD_BwE
2. Dr Scholls Air Pillow Insoles under the footbed. https://www.amazon.ca/Bayer-Inc-8507570 ... 8233&psc=1
3. Neoprene toe covers https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-toe-cover-overshoe
4. Any good thermal overshoe.

I added the toe covers worn underneath the shoecovers this year and they have made a huge difference. Below 10 celcius I used to use chemical heat packs, but now I am good to low single digits without. Care must be taken to make sure the various layers of covers are clear of the cleat. An overshoe with a bit of stretch might be required to ease fitting.

Don't underestimate the value of the Dr. Scholl's insoles. The soles of cycling shoes have zero insulation and shoe covers have a hole around the cleat and sometimes the heel as well, so the insoles are necessary to stop heat loss out the bottom of the shoe. Shoes should not be too tight regardless, but a generous fit may be required to accomodate the insole. There is an Ultra version of the Air Pillow insole that is very thick and will take up too much shoe volume unless your shoes are way too big.

As for the shoe cover itself, I have used many and they all do the job as long as they have good wind block and good thermal properties, the next most important thing is toe reinforcement. Not many have it, and my various Castelli and Assos shoe covers are testament to the amount of toe overlap on some of my bikes - a spinning tire will burn a hole in all but the toughest shoe covers. I have not tried the specific models you have mentioned though my vote would go to the Castelli on this one.

About the socks, they just wick so well - they just do no seem to hold any moisture. Way better than anything made of wool which packs out, gets wet, and conducts cold.

A final tip, on the coldest days I take a really hot shower before I dress and coat my feet with anti-perspirant.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.