Standard unbranded Chinese PF30 BB review.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296338 ... 4c4dt7Uxkx

I have been selecting between this, wheels MFG which is very similar, and Token Ninja which is different as it has rubberised cups.

I thought that it is a pretty easy shape to machine and I should not have any issues with Chinese branded one. Bearings quality is irrelevant to me as nothing will compare to branded NSK or NTN bearings which are really cheap and easy to get in this standard size. The plan is to ride the stock ones until they are dead, throw them away and install branded bearings.

The item was advertised as 103gr in weight. My scale showed 116gr - not very happy.

Finger test of the bearings showed that they were working.

The bottom bracket appeared straight, anodisation was fair quality. Sizing checked on digital caliper which showed the right size. Note: when fully threaded the BB is around 64mm, which is less than the narrowest PF30 BB size. So yes, it is possible to squash the carbon cup of the bicycle frame when enough force is applied. When outside of the frame, the thread shows some play. So the thread is standard and non precision. There was some grease applied to the thread from the factory.

I have made the decision to install the BB as per Token's recommendations, that is, just by screwing the cups and relying on the thread of the cups to tighten the BB in place, and not to press the drive side cup in as some other manufacturers suggest with other BBs.

Silicone paste (grease) was applied onto the wider side of the BB and inside the bearing cup of the frame. Thin layer.

An aluminium socket tool was used for installation. It was extremely hard to hold the installation tool in place as the edge of the BB is very shallow. The tool made of alu 7075 left some scuffs on the BB which possibly indicates that softer alloy was used on the BB.

Even torque was applied consiquently on both cups. Despite Token's recommedation of 25-30 Nm I have only applied around 13Nm - the cups were fully in by that stage. I was afraid to use more force as I thought it could damage the frame.

It was enough to have one tool, the other cup was not twisting in the frame as I was working on the other one.

Upon instllation of the cranks - the bearings were working, but the operation was not smooth. It was a bit rough. I do not think it is the problem of the BB, probably the bearings. Cranks installation was difficult, very tight fit. I normally slide it in, this time I had to smash it with my hand. Hopefully, it did not damage the seatpost or frame, as it was in the bike stand. I tried to hold the bike on the other side to prevent it from moving.

The seller ignored most of the questions that I asked.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Nice feedback.
I would have done the same in terms of torque - minimum needed to seat the cups properly. It will be interesting to see if the BB stays in place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

I use a ninja in a van dessel carbon pf30 frame. It was tight and required the 25 to fit in, would not fit in by hand. The bearings work but make noise with the cannondale cranks I use. I tried some retaining compound that did not improve the creak. I have not replaced the bearings because they still run just fine. I've decided next time to use a bbinfinite on the next pressfit frame.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

Many of the Chinese PF30 BB are not precision oriented. Since you have issues after installing the crank...could be the slight inconsistency of the bearings in relation to the spindle (slightly askew). As you mentioned...if the threads aren't tight and screws together slightly askewed, it could prevent some binding on the spindle or cranks not spinning smoothly.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

musiclover

by musiclover

kode54 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 pm
Many of the Chinese PF30 BB are not precision oriented.
An update: bearings gave up after one 40km wet ride. They did not die completely but behaved worse than my 3 year old standard FSA ones which I replaced.

I tried to refit the crank shaft back in but was unable to, although it seemed straight and in line, but I just could not get it past the second bearing. Will be interesting to see if BB does any damage to the frame when I take it off.

I have then pressed the stock bearings out and refitted the old FSA ones (did not want to waste the branded ones yet). It was hard to press them in as the bearinngs are a bit recessed in the cup. Had to use old Chinese ones as a press for FSA bearings.

FSA were better. But I still could not put the cranks back in. I suspect that maybe the bottom bracket "pipe" or the bearings cups are a bit misaligned.

Went in with more grease on the shaft in the end. Not exactly sure what was the problem.

Bought Token Ninja :D

PS this Chinese BB has some covers which should act as seals. Poor fit and quality. They do not prevent any water and dirt ingress. I was hoping that my FSA seals will work but they do not fit this BB (do not stay in place).

Read this back, probably sounds a bit confusing, was tired. So the verdict is - bearings are not functional, which was to be expected but I did not think they will be this bad. Very poor external bearings seals (which are not the part of bearings but part of BB). Poor fit of the crank. Not sure why. Possibly bearing cups misalignment?
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.