Sram red quarq nhb and hb chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

I did a search but didnt find what i was looking for.

Okay so im currently running a sram red 100bcd gxp crankset with hidden bolt (threads into crankarm) extralite chainrings. I just purchased a used sram red quarq gxp crankset and i noticed it was nhb (recessed threaded insert in the chainring) which i didnt realize there was the option. Anyhow,
1) can i rotate the quarq spline so the chainring bolt thats under the arm can be accessed outside the arm so i can use my hb extralite rings?
2)if not, which nhb lightweight chainrings can i purchase? I saw praxis buzz but none had the threaded insert on the chainrings that i could see.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

protocol_droid wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 pm
I did a search but didnt find what i was looking for.

Okay so im currently running a sram red 100bcd gxp crankset with hidden bolt (threads into crankarm) extralite chainrings. I just purchased a used sram red quarq gxp crankset and i noticed it was nhb (recessed threaded insert in the chainring) which i didnt realize there was the option. Anyhow,
1) can i rotate the quarq spline so the chainring bolt thats under the arm can be accessed outside the arm so i can use my hb extralite rings?
2)if not, which nhb lightweight chainrings can i purchase? I saw praxis buzz but none had the threaded insert on the chainrings that i could see.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Both the 8-bolt and 3-bolt DM interfaces are keyed so you can only orient the Quarq spider one way.

There should not be a threaded insert in chainrings used with NHB spiders or cranks. The threaded insert is only for chainrings used with modular HB spiders. You can use any 110bcd 5-bolt chainrings with NHB spiders. Even the SRAM chainrings should have anti-drop pins in the right position for both HB and NHB at this point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Hey tobin. Thanks for chiming in. You can see there are serrated edges on the chainrings and the bolt. None of the other chainring holes have this. I had to whack this thing out. So i can just unscrew the 8 bolts on the arm and rotate the quarq assembly to access the bolt from both sides?Image

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Hi tobin. So you can see that this one has serrated edges to wedge in place in the chainrings. The others do not have this.

So i can unbolt the 8 bolts of the quarq module and rotate the arm so the one bolt aligned with the arm can be exposed for full chainbolt access?Image

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The serrated edges in the chainring are bite marks from the knurled nut. They weren't there before it was installed. NHB SRAM chainrings are just...chainrings. If you had a setup that required installation of the knurled nut, you'd have to install it on whichever chainrings you choose whether it's Praxis, Rotor, etc.

I have no idea why the knurled nut was installed on a NHB setup...it's not necessary. The only time the knurled nut is needed is when you are using modular HB cranksets, making it hard to inconvenient to use a regular chainring bolt.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Duplicate post

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Thanks tobin. So theres not problem with unbolting the 8 bolts and rotating the quarq meter to expose that 5th chainring?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

protocol_droid wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:28 pm
Thanks tobin. So theres not problem with unbolting the 8 bolts and rotating the quarq meter to expose that 5th chainring?

NO, I said it isn't possible (without modification) in my first reply. The 8-bolt interface is keyed. One of the valleys is shallower than the rest. Unless you take a round/needle file to the interface on the Quarq, it won't fit.
Attachments
8bolt1.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

All the chainring bolts are already exposed on a NHB spider so I can only assume that you're really confused and using the wrong terminology. You, in fact, have a HB Quarq and that's why the big chainring that came with it had a knurled nut installed.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

TobinHatesYou wrote:All the chainring bolts are already exposed on a NHB spider so I can only assume that you're really confused and using the wrong terminology. You, in fact, have a HB Quarq and that's why the big chainring that came with it had a knurled nut installed.
Ok my bad. I thought hidden bolt was the one bolt that screws into the crankarm while this version with the knurled nut is non hidden bolt.

So as you mentioned i would need to use this knurled nut for my extralite chainrings to make them work. Thanks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

protocol_droid wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:52 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:All the chainring bolts are already exposed on a NHB spider so I can only assume that you're really confused and using the wrong terminology. You, in fact, have a HB Quarq and that's why the big chainring that came with it had a knurled nut installed.
Ok my bad. I thought hidden bolt was the one bolt that screws into the crankarm while this version with the knurled nut is non hidden bolt.

So as you mentioned i would need to use this knurled nut for my extralite chainrings to make them work. Thanks.

It looks like Extralite chainrings only have one position for the chain anti-drop pin. You might want to buy the version with the pin in the right position (in line with one of the chainring bolts.)

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

TobinHatesYou wrote:
protocol_droid wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:52 pm

It looks like Extralite chainrings only have one position for the chain anti-drop pin. You might want to buy the version with the pin in the right position (in line with one of the chainring bolts.)
Its got 2 positions for the pinImage

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Good to go then.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

TobinHatesYou wrote:Good to go then.
Thanks again. Got it all buttoned up now.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I’m looking to buy a SRAM Red BB30 crank with the hidden bolt behind the crank arm. Are there any limitations on the chainrings I can use with this? I’d like to get something like the Praxis Buzz or Tune/BOR rings. Can I use any rings that have a 110BCD?

If it makes any difference it is the later 11speed exogram crank like this

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com