Light weight endurance frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Filans

by Filans

Because of my body proportions (long leg, short torso), most performance/race frame don't fit me well because they are too long. It seems like for people like me, endurance bike frame is the better choice. However, endurance frames are usually much heavier than typical climbing frame. Is there any endurance frame that's lightweight and feels more like a race bike? Or maybe race frames with more relaxed geometry? (other than Pinarello and Cervelo, they are pricey and difficult to find where I live)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MagicShite

by MagicShite

SEKA Exceed seems to be your jam ;)

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Have a look at Cannondale supersix. They seem to have similar stack/reach number to Pinarello.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Focus Paralane. 900g-ish frame, very affordable, very comfy, 35mm tyre clearance.

https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/bikes/r ... l/paralane

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Filans wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:38 am
Because of my body proportions (long leg, short torso), most performance/race frame don't fit me well because they are too long. It seems like for people like me, endurance bike frame is the better choice. However, endurance frames are usually much heavier than typical climbing frame. Is there any endurance frame that's lightweight and feels more like a race bike? Or maybe race frames with more relaxed geometry? (other than Pinarello and Cervelo, they are pricey and difficult to find where I live)
Ax Lightness Vial Evo Race (rim) or Vial Disc (disc ofcourse)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

de lars cuevas wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:45 am
Focus Paralane. 900g-ish frame, very affordable, very comfy, 35mm tyre clearance.

https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/bikes/r ... l/paralane
Yes this. Not aero, but for a do it all bike for someone who needs a tall stack and short reach, the Paralane cannot be beat. My wife is proportionally challenged like you and the Paralane has been great for her. She even has a spare set of wheels and uses it for gravel riding with 36mm tires.

If you want something even lighter and faster and are willing to spend more money, the Parlee Altum is a fantastic bike - around 800 grams for the frame. Check out the stack and reach numbers on their website. It looks like a race bike and rides like a race bike, but it is a shorter and taller than any of them. Comes with various profiled spacer options allowing you to set the bars pretty high without looking like a Fred. I am savagely picky when it comes to how my bikes handle and the Parlee is a very high performer. It is very agile at lower speeds, and incredibly stable (too stable IMO) at very high speeds. Be advised that the rear chainstays limit rear tire size to 28mm actual measure. And if you ever get super flexible you can slam the front end get plenty low.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

The Canyon Endurace might be worth a look. Its on the racier side of the endurance frame spectrum and reasonably light.

VvM

by VvM

TwiggyForest wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:14 am
The Canyon Endurace might be worth a look. Its on the racier side of the endurance frame spectrum and reasonably light.
Agree with that. They have the CF SL and SLX. The latter being lighter and stiffer (and more expensive).

Another one to perhaps consider is the Cannondale Synapse Hi-mod

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Here are the other bikes I considered when I was in search of an endurance frame:
  • Specialized Roubaix and Trek Domane: geometry should work well, but I’m not fond of the extra weight and complexity of the suspension systems.
  • BMC Roadmachine, Cervelo Caledonia/R3, Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Basso Diamante SV: geometries are still aggressive for ‘endurance’ models.
  • Merida Scultura Endurance: the 1150g frame was too heavy for my liking and would hinder my ability to reach my target weight
  • Rose Reveal: good weight, but the geometry doesn’t work since I’m between sizes.
  • AX Lightness Evo Disc: good geometry and weight, but outside my budget
I ended up with the Focus Paralane and I think it's great. Totally underrated and it's one of the few lightweight, proper endurance geometry bikes.

Attachments
IMG_3356.jpg
Last edited by iamraymond on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Deihlos91

by Deihlos91

VvM wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:21 am
TwiggyForest wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:14 am
Agree with that. They have the CF SL and SLX. The latter being lighter and stiffer (and more expensive).

Another one to perhaps consider is the Cannondale Synapse Hi-mod
I can absolutely recommend the Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod Disc (from 2018)
Riding this bike since 3 years.
In summer time with 25mm tires and in autumn/winter time with 35mm Panaracer Gravelking Slick tires.
My custom build has a weight of 7,2kg inc. pedals, gps mount bottle cages and went not WW.
Wanted to sell it now after 3 years but decided to keep it as a bad weather bike because I really enjoy every ride with this bike.
IMG_1920.jpg
Allround:
Elilee Blize XXE 24 Carbon Raw L Custom-6340g
Sunday:
Colnago V3Rs 22 (RCRD) 54s Custom-6890g
BW/Travel:
Cannondale Synapse 20 Hi Mod 56 Custom-7200g
Old:
Specialized SWorks Aethos Jet Fuel 56 Custom-6060g

kervelo

by kervelo

Many nice frame suggestions, but I think the availability is the issue, as with all other parts. :(

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Just get a normal climbing frame that comes with a stock 120mm stem and put a 100mm stem on it?

Konsi

by Konsi

The non-RC Scott Addict might work? Someone on the forum got his to 6.8kg, haven't seen the new version with integrated cables yet.

viewtopic.php?t=162649

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Konsi wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:27 am
The non-RC Scott Addict might work? Someone on the forum got his to 6.8kg, haven't seen the new version with integrated cables yet.

viewtopic.php?t=162649
inibex wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:27 pm
Frame is about 1106g without BB and bearings. Fork 437g as pictured. Yeah, not so light. 52 size.
Not light weight at all.

Filans

by Filans

kervelo wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:24 am
Many nice frame suggestions, but I think the availability is the issue, as with all other parts. :(
True :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com