Hydraulic Hose Compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ukracer

by ukracer

Hi
Need to build up another frame
In the past I've re used existing hoses
Due to rear brake hose length I need to buy a new hose
(SRAM Force Brakes)

Is my only option the SRAM Hydraulic Road Hose Kit?

Is it the same as Avid / SRAMountain bike hose ?

Are there 3 party company brakes lines I can use ?

Info on comparability between manufacturers and kits seems scarce

Any help would be great

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bennito

by bennito

Hello
No answer for you
Sorry

But i d like to add an other question
🤓
Is il possible to install braided Hose (like goodridge stuff)
On road brakes (like dura ace
To add durability
easy maintenance
And some weight

Cosmo

by Cosmo

For SRAM the "hose" is functionally the same across all the varients-if you have Force AXS then you can use any SRAM or Avid kit as Force AXS does not require a banjo at either end; you can cut whatever banjo is fitted off any kit as you just need a line. You will need a red colored olive and coresponding threaded top barb (T8 fitting) at the lever end due to connector fitting at the lever; a silver olive/T10 barb will not work at the lever end. Be aware kits with a banjo end only come with one barb/olive so you'll need a second barb/olive. Compression nuts are reusable.

If you have Force HRD (i.e. mechanical shifter) then you need a kit specific for SRAM HRD as the lever banjo is unique. There are three verisons based on the caliper type (flat/post/hydro rim brake); the hose/banjo at the lever is the same on all three but the kits have different small parts specific to the caliper. The only consideration is if you have caliper with a quick connect fitting at the caliper-the fitting for a compression nut at the caliper is a different thread for the connector versions and the appropriate replacement is in the kit. As an example if you have a flat mount caliper with a quick connector fitting on the caliper then you need the specific flat mount kit; if the caliper uses a standard compression nut/barb/olive fitting then you can use any of the 3 HRD kits as you just need the line with lever banjo. Note to replace an HRD line you have to take the bladder cover off the lever; not hard to do but careful not to strip the screws on reassembly.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

ukracer

by ukracer

Wow , thanks so much for taking the time for such a consice reply .
Answered my questions and more , chapeau!

One last question however , is there aftermarket companies that sell lever hose end banjos that can be fitted to a fresh hose ?
Rather than buying the crimped official SRAM kits ?

ooo

by ooo

'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com