Sram AXS 10-36 12S cassette on XD driver

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Hi all,
I built a wheelset with a mtb hub and ordered a XD driver to install Sram cassettes, and use it as a CX/gravel/road wheelset.
Is the XD driver too short to accept a 12S cassette, do I absolutely need a XDR :? ?
Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobJ

by RobJ

LouisN wrote:Hi all,
I built a wheelset with a mtb hub and ordered a XD driver to install Sram cassettes, and use it as a CX/gravel/road wheelset.
Is the XD driver to short to accept a 12S cassette, do I absolutely need a XDR :? ?
Yes you need XDR to run the cassettes with smaller than 11 teeth. XDR is 1.85mm longer to allow for these cassettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I thought the XD design was to allow 10S sprockets that appeared in mtb a while ago, sothis part I'm not too worried.

My concern is more with the shorter splines that wouldn't allow enough "threading" of a 12S AXS road cassette.

DaveS

by DaveS

You can't put an xdr cassette on an xd freehub - it's too long. You can put a 1.85mm spacer on an xdr freehub and mount an xd cassette.

Marin

by Marin

You can machine the XD driver to accept XDR

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah I though about that, I know a machinist who could do it, but I think it would take more time and cost more than buying a new XDR freehub... :?

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RobJ wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:01 pm
LouisN wrote:Hi all,
Is the XD driver to short to accept a 12S cassette, do I absolutely need a XDR :? ?
Yes you need XDR to run the cassettes with smaller than 11 teeth. XDR is 1.85mm longer to allow for these cassettes.

Just to be clear.

XD and XDR both allow 10t cogs.
XDR is 1.85mm wider because it's not as easy to design cogs with <34t to cantilever over the the base of the freehub / hub.
As of right now no SRAM road or XPLR cassettes fit XD freehubs, not even the 10-36t or 10-44t.
At this point you should probably never buy another XD freehub. XDR freehubs are backward compatible with all XD cassettes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sixtiescycles

by sixtiescycles

That's not entirely correct (that an XDR cassette won't fit on an XD driver). An XDR 12s cassette will thread onto an XD cassette. I know this because I just tried it. The problem then becomes that you need to space the axle out on the right side for clearance at the chain/dropout interface. So, it depends on the specific hub if that's possible or not.

I'm attempting to use an American Classic MTB 225 disc hub with XD driver and a new 12s Red cassette. American Classic has been out of business for several years, so no possibility in getting a compatible XDR driver. But I'm pretty sure I can make it work by putting in just enough shims (washers) on the axle to get the necessary chain clearance. If anyone's interested at this late date post back and I'll give you an update after I've gone through the whole fit-up process.